‘Security threat’ forces closing of US Embassy in Turkey

(CNN)The US Embassy in Turkey told American citizens it is closed to the public Monday because of a "security threat," and advised them to "keep a low profile," the embassy said in a security alert.. The embassy, located in the Kavaklidere district of Ankara, said it "will announce the reopening once it resumes services." The alert was issued Sunday. The nature of the threat was not disclosed. Turks have been the victims of terror over recent years, and the government suspects ISIS, Kurdish militants and far-left groups. The DHKP-C, or Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front, a far-left group, claimed responsibility for a 2013 suicide bombing at the US Embassy in Ankara. Tensions over Syria Read More Turkish operation in Syria undercuts US gains in ISIS fight There have been tensions between the United States and Turkey lately over the Trump administration's decision to provide weapons and equipment to Kurdish elements of the opposition Syrian Democratic Forces. Ankara, which criticized the move, sees such Kurdish groups as linked to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK -- a separatist group that has waged a decade's long insurgency against the Turkish government. Turkey launched an operation targeting Kurdish groups in Afrin in January, shortly after the US coalition announced plans to work with SDF elements to help stabilize areas of Syria that had been captured from ISIS. Another source of tension between the United States and Turkey involves a Muslic cleric named Fethullah Gulen, who has been living in exile in the United States. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan believes Gulen orchestrated the failed 2016 coup attempt and has urged the United States to extradite him. But the United States has refused to do so. Timeline: Turkey's bloody year "Only emergency services" The embassy advised Americans to steer clear of the embassy, stay away from large crowds, let friends and family members know about safety status and monitor Continue Reading

New US Embassy in Jerusalem will open in May, officials say

Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Associated Press February 23, 2018 WASHINGTON (AP) — Two Trump administration officials say the new US Embassy in Jerusalem will open in May 2018 to coincide with the 70th anniversary of Israel declaring independence.The officials say Congress is being notified of the impending move on Friday. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson signed off on the security plan for the new embassy on Thursday.The officials weren’t authorized to discuss the plan publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity. Advertisement A ribbon-cutting is being planned for mid-May. Israel proclaimed independence on May 14, 1948. Get Today's Headlines in your inbox: The day's top stories delivered every morning. Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here The May opening marks a significant acceleration. Vice President Mike Pence had said previously the embassy would open by the end of 2019. And Tillerson had said it could take years.Initially, the embassy will consist of just a few offices inside an existing U.S. facility in Jerusalem. This is a breaking news story and will be updated. Loading comments... Continue Reading

Officials: New US Embassy in Jerusalem will open in May 2018 in celebration of Israel’s 70th anniversary

WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials: New US Embassy in Jerusalem will open in May 2018 in celebration of Israel's 70th anniversary. Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Sign up for BREAKING NEWS Emails privacy policy Thanks for subscribing! Tags: newswires associated press us newswires Send a Letter to the Editor Join the Conversation: facebook Tweet Continue Reading

Man kills himself after throwing explosive device at a closed US embassy in Montenegro

David Choi, provided by Published 9:27 pm, Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Stevo Vasiljevic/Reuters The US Embassy in Montenegro cautioned people that there is an "active security situation." The embassy's statement comes amid reports of a grenade attack on Wednesday night. cautioned people that there is an "active security situation" in the capital of Podgorica on Wednesday night after a man threw an explosive device, the State Department said in a New York Times report. A man reportedly threw the explosive device at the building, which was closed for the night, and killed only himself and injured no others, The Times reported. LATEST BUSINESS VIDEOS Now Playing: Now Playing McDonald's Planning Big Change for Happy Meals Wibbitz Elon Musk’s ‘Starman’ Has a Lot of Hidden Easter Eggs Fortune Amazon Offering Cash Back to Customers Who Shop at Whole Foods Wibbitz Elderly Man Learns How to Use Phone Jukin Media The Future of Eating is 3D-Printed Food ELLEDecor This Study Found the Optimal Salary for Total Happiness Wibbitz FDA Approves Blood Test That Can Detect Concussions Wibbitz Here’s How the DNC and the RNC Got to Your TV PopularMechanics You'll Never Believe All of The Things You Can Do With a Mason Jar and a Fruit Cup CountryLiving Flying Drone Clown Haunts Neighborhood PopularMechanics Montenegro's government said in two tweets that the man "probably" threw a hand grenade before he "committed suicide with an explosive device." The embassy building did not sustain damage during the attack and no other explosives were found, according to Steve Goldstein, the State Department's under secretary for public diplomacy and public affairs. No motive was discovered as of Wednesday night. The embassy said in its statement to "avoid the embassy until further notice." Montenegro became the 29th country to join NATO last year. Join the conversation about this story » NOW WATCH: Here's Continue Reading

US Embassy in Montenegro warns of active security situation

US Embassy in Montenegro warns of active security situation February 21, 2018 Updated: February 21, 2018 9:57pm PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — The U.S. Embassy in the capital of Montenegro is warning Americans of "an active security situation" at the site. Local media say that an unknown assailant hurled a hand grenade toward the embassy at around midnight local time (1100 GMT) and then killed himself with another explosive device. There was no official confirmation of the reports. The area around the embassy has been sealed off by police. The embassy is advising U.S. citizens to avoid the area, monitor local media for updates and avoid large gatherings. Montenegro borders the Adriatic Sea in southeastern Europe and its capital is Podgorica. It joined NATO last year. Continue Reading

US Embassy In Montenegro Attacked With Two Bomb Explosions, 1 Attacker Dead

UPDATE: 10:40 p.m. EST —  Authorities said it was unclear if the embassy is still under attack or how many other people were injured. A security alert was issued by the embassy based in Podgorica and people were warned to avoid the area, according to Express.co.uk. The alert said: “The U.S. Embassy in Podgorica advises U.S. citizens there is an active security situation at the US Embassy in Podgorica. Avoid the Embassy until further notice.” Further advice was also offered to U.S. citizens in Motenegro. The embassy statement said: “Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, and follow the instructions of local authorities.” Original story The United States embassy in Podgorica, Montenegro, was under attack Wednesday night. An unknown person walked towards the U.S. Embassy building with one bomb that blew up and then reportedly dropped a second suicide bomb, according to Analytical Report in Podgorica, which cited a source from the scene. One person was confirmed to be dead in the incident. People in buildings in Bulevar's Revolution near the embassy were reportedly disturbed by two explosions in a twenty-second interval. The area was quickly fenced and investigators have since been keeping an eye out. The motive of the attack has not been determined yet. Also the place from where an unidentified person was activating the bombs has not been disclosed. In this representational image, people walk past the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, Germany, Oct. 28, 2013. Photo: Getty Images According to first information, an unidentified person was spotted on the bank across the street surrounding the embassy yard and was reportedly about fifteen feet away from the fence and auxiliary building located in the backyard of the embassy. Continue Reading

Pence says US Embassy in Jerusalem will open next year

Advertisement Share Shares Copy Link Copy {copyShortcut} to copy Link copied! Updated: 8:23 AM EST Jan 22, 2018 Associated Press AP Photo/Ariel Schalit, Pool Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, left, shake hands with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence in Israel's parliament in Jerusalem, Monday, Jan. 22, 2018. SOURCE: AP Photo/Ariel Schalit, Pool Pence says US Embassy in Jerusalem will open next year Share Shares Copy Link Copy {copyShortcut} to copy Link copied! Updated: 8:23 AM EST Jan 22, 2018 Associated Press JERUSALEM — Vice President Mike Pence says the United States will open its embassy in Jerusalem next year, ahead of schedule.In an address to the Israeli parliament on Monday, Pence defended the controversial decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, which has been condemned by the Palestinians and their Arab allies. Advertisement Pence says the administration will advance its plan in the coming weeks and the embassy will open by the end of 2019. Previous estimates had been the move would take three or four years.The Palestinians claim Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem as their capital. They say the U.S. cannot be a mediator after the decision and have pre-emptively rejected any peace plan presented by the Trump administration. Continue Reading

Former US Embassy in London to become luxury Rosewood Hotel

The hotel deal for which Trump says he dumped London trip Chris McGinnis Updated 6:06 am, Sunday, January 14, 2018 Photo: Qatari Diar Rendering of new Rosewood hotel on London's Grosvenor Square- former US Embassy Rendering of new Rosewood hotel on London's Grosvenor Square-... President Trump has canceled a planned to visit London in the coming weeks, complaining that the U.S. got a bad deal in relocating its embassy out of a prime Grosvenor Square location that is now slated for a luxury hotel. (More on the hotel below and in slideshow below) The purpose of Trump’s canceled trip had been to cut the ribbon on the new $1.2 billion U.S. Embassy in a southwest London neighborhood called Nine Elms. It opens this month. In a tweet, Trump blamed the Obama Administration (as usual) for “having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location,” and said he refused to cut the ribbon on the new building because it was a “bad deal.” However, many observers suggested that Trump's real concern about visiting the British capital is that he would be met by massive protests that he could not abide. window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({ mode: 'thumbnails-c', container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-5', placement: 'Interstitial Gallery Thumbnails 5', target_type: 'mix' }); _taboola.push({flush: true}); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({ mode: 'thumbnails-c', container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-10', placement: 'Interstitial Gallery Thumbnails 10', target_type: 'mix' }); _taboola.push({flush: true}); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({ mode: 'thumbnails-c', container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-12', placement: 'Interstitial Gallery Thumbnails 12', target_type: 'mix' }); Continue Reading

Step inside the $1 billion US embassy in London — which Trump says is worse than the old one and refuses to visit

Daniel Brown, provided by Published 3:50 am, Friday, January 12, 2018 Reuters President Donald Trump has cancelled his planned trip to Britain, where he was due to open the new US embassy. In a tweet on Thursday, Trump claimed that the Obama administration had sold the former US embassy "for 'peanuts,' only to build a new one in an off location." The decision to sell the old embassy was actually taken during the George W Bush administration and reportedly driven by security concerns. The new 12-story glass embassy, which is scheduled to open on January 16, cost $1 billion (£730 million) — making it the most expensive embassy ever built. Local Channel Now Playing: Now Playing Alleged stalker at apartment complex on camera mysa Church Shooting Victim Goes Home on Fire Truck AP Motorcyclist being tailed by police crashes in North Side mysa San Antonio's Confluence Park seen from the sky mysa Woman hit by driver after running into North Side street mysa Mayor and others discuss the symphony's new schedule mysa Natural gas explosion at South Side motel hospitalizes 2 with severe burns mysa This tamale-making hack may change your next tamalada mysa Dog caught in middle of family's New Year's Eve fireworks mysa San Antonio child sings 'Remember Me' from Coco in heart-wrenching tribute to baby sister mysa Take a look inside: This is the US new embassy in London, which cost $1 billion and will open on January 16. Reuters Located on Nine Elms Lane, Vauxhall, it overlooks the River Thames — what Trump called "an off location." Google Maps/Business Insider The old US embassy, located in the ritzy neighbourhood of Mayfair, opened in 1960 and embodies a brutalist architectural design. Trump called this "perhaps the best located and finest embassy." Associated Press See the rest of the story at Business Insider See Also: Tillerson and Mattis are reportedly trying to hold Trump back from striking North Continue Reading

Deadly attack on US Embassy in Yemen blamed on Al Qaeda

Al Qaeda has struck again. Suicide bombers driving a car packed with explosives tried to blast through the walls of the U.S. Embassy in Yemen Wednesday, sparking a wild 10-minute gun battle that left 16 dead, including an upstate teenager. "The attack bears all the hallmarks of an Al Qaeda attack where you have multiple vehicle-borne devices, along with personnel on foot," said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack. RELATED: 4 US coalition troops killed in AfghanistanThe dead included newlywed Susan Elbaneh, 18, an American citizen from upstate Lackawanna, who was killed with her Yemeni husband while standing outside the embassy, where they were submitting immigration paperwork. She was related to terror suspect Jaber Elbaneh - implicated in the "Lackawanna Six" case - but family members said she did not know him. "Like the people killed in 9/11, people killed in terrorist attacks all over the place, we're the same victims," cousin Shokey Elbaneh said. The assault began at 9:15 a.m. when gunmen in one vehicle attacked a checkpoint outside the embassy with automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades. Suicide bombers in another car rammed through the checkpoint and careened into an inner ring of concrete blocks, where it exploded. Some attackers appeared to be masquerading as soldiers and fired on rescue workers. "This attack is a reminder that we are at war with extremists who will murder innocent people to achieve their ideological objectives," President Bush said. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama also condemned the attack, saying it "calls on us to redouble our efforts to root out and destroy Al Qaeda and its affiliates across the globe." There was no reaction to the attack from Obama's Republican rival, John McCain. Yemen is the ancestral homeland of Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, who launched the Sept. 11 attacks and has so far escaped punishment. Nearly a year before 9/11, Bin Laden's Continue Reading