One London terror suspect appeared in ‘Jihadis Next Door’ doc; another told Italian authorities he was ‘going to be a terrorist’

Two of the three London terrorists were known to authorities, with one boldly appearing in a documentary called “The Jihadis Next Door” and the other reportedly telling Italian airport officials he was “going to be a terrorist.” Suspect Khuram Shazad Butt, the Pakistani-born British citizen killed by police in Saturday’s London Bridge attack, had appeared in last year’s chilling Channel 4 doc about Islamist extremists across the pond. The 27-year-old appears about 15 minutes into the film as he traipses to London’s Regents Park — situated close to a large mosque — for a prayer group deemed “actively provocative” by the film’s director, Jamie Roberts. Before the prayer gets underway, Butt queries his companions: “Anyone got a smartphone?” He then helps the others unfurl a black flag similar to the one associated with ISIS, listening intently as the group leader preaches: “This is not the real life, my dear brothers. This is a passing time for us. So this is a type of jihad for you.” Police arrive at the park in search of “an ISIS-looking flag,” prompting a heated clash with the group. (“What are you touching him for?” Butt protests at one point.) The officers, unable to find the flag after an hourlong search, release the men without charges. The doc is a product of Roberts’ two years with “one of the most extreme groups in Britain,” as he puts it. The film first focuses on Abu Rumaysah — a father of four who ran a bouncy castle business and was later suspected of ISIS activity — and cycles through the extremist group’s public protests, recruitment efforts and attempts to explain its warped ideology. In one scene, preacher Abu Haleema praises the idea of adulterers being stoned to death in a public square. Butt’s apparently brazen extremism prompted at Continue Reading

Man with sword injures police outside UK Queen’s palace

By Elisabeth O'Leary (Reuters) - A man who assaulted police officers with a four-foot sword outside Queen Elizabeth's Buckingham Palace residence shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) was being questioned by counter-terrorism police on Saturday. Two unarmed officers suffered slight cuts as they detained the man, who drove at a police van on Friday evening, then took the sword from the front passenger foot-well of his car, London's Metropolitan Police said. It was too early to say what the man was planning to do, said Commander Dean Haydon, the head of the Met's Counter Terrorism Command. "We believe the man was acting alone and we are not looking for other suspects at this stage," he said. "It is only right that we investigate this as a terrorist incident at this time." Europe has been on high alert following a string of militant attacks, including four this year in Britain which killed 36 people. The country's threat level remains at severe, meaning an attack is highly likely. No members of the royal family were present in the palace, which is a magnet for tourists in Britain's capital in the peak August holiday weekend. "I want to thank the officers who acted quickly and bravely to protect the public last night demonstrating the dedication and professionalism of our police," Prime Minister Theresa May said in a message on Twitter. SUSPECT FROM LUTON The suspect was initially arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and assault on police. He was then further arrested under Britain's Terrorism Act.Police said they were investigating a 26-year-old man from the Luton area, an ethnically diverse town 35 miles (55 km) north of London where police have carried out investigations linked to other militant attacks, including one earlier this year on London's Westminster Bridge. "My partner saw a sword (...) as well as a policeman with blood on him, looking like his hand or chest was injured. The police officer had it in Continue Reading

Trump condemns leaks after UK police briefly halt information sharing

By Elizabeth Piper and Estelle Shirbon BRUSSELS/LONDON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Thursday that "deeply troubling" leaks to U.S. media about the Manchester suicide bombing would be investigated, after irate British police briefly stopped sharing information with U.S. agencies. Prime Minister Theresa May raised British concerns with Trump at a NATO summit in Brussels, telling him intelligence shared between their two countries had to remain secure, in a rare public show of dissatisfaction with Britain's closest security ally. After a suspension that lasted about a day, Britain's most senior counter terrorism officer said late on Thursday that the police had resumed sharing information with the United States after receiving "fresh assurances". Trump had called the leaks "deeply troubling". "I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," he said in a statement released after his arrival in Brussels. The row comes as British police stepped up their investigation into a suspected network behind Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old British-born man with Libyan parents who blew himself up on Monday night at the Manchester Arena indoor venue after a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande The singer's fans are mostly children and teenagers and the explosion killed 22 people, ranging from an eight-year-old schoolgirl to parents who had come to pick up their children. Police are holding eight people in custody in connection with the attack and bomb disposal units were used in searches as officers raided properties across the city. In the nearby town of Wigan, where a man was arrested on Wednesday, police said they had discovered potentially suspicious items, prompting them to bring in the bomb squad and evacuate properties in the area. The security alert was later lifted. Police said they were making Continue Reading

UK police arrest four men on suspicion of terrorism offense

LONDON (Reuters) - British police said they had arrested four men on Wednesday on suspicion of preparing terrorism acts in the United Kingdom. London police said officers from its Counter Terrorism Command had detained the four men, aged 18, 24, 25 and 27, at their homes in the east of the British capital. "These arrests were pre-planned as part of an ongoing investigation by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command and (the domestic spy agency) MI5," police said in a statement. "The arrests are linked to activity in the UK." The men were being questioned at a south London police station "on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism", the statement added. Britain has been on its second-highest alert level of "severe" since August 2014, meaning an attack by militants is considered highly likely. In March, a man killed five people after driving into a crowd of pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in central London before stabbing a police officer in the grounds of parliament. He was shot dead at the scene. Earlier this month police charged three women from London with preparation of a terrorist act and conspiracy to murder after a raid in which one of the women was shot by armed officers. In another incident last month, a man was arrested on Parliament Street, near the parliament building and UK Prime Minister Theresa May's Downing Street office, and later charged with terrorism and explosives offences. (Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Alistair Smout) (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Click For Restrictions Continue Reading

UK police say stabbing at London’s Russell Square not terror-related

LONDON (Reuters) - London police said on Friday they were responding to a stabbing at Russell Square, but it was being treated as a disturbance and not related to terrorism. Britain has been on high alert since two Islamist militant attacks killed 30 people in Manchester and London. (Reporting by Costas Pitas; editing by William James)(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Click For Restrictions Continue Reading

Six people hurt in UK after car runs into pedestrians near celebration for Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr

LONDON — Six people, including three children, were injured Sunday after a car ran into pedestrians outside a Newcastle sports center where people gathered to celebrate the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr. Police said the incident was not believed to be terror-related. Northumbria Police said they arrested a 42-year-old woman, who remained in police custody. The force said it was not looking for other suspects. They say a full investigation was underway to determine what happened outside Westgate Sports Center in the northern English city of Newcastle on Sunday morning. "There is nothing to suggest that this is terror-related," police said. The ambulance service said three children and three adults were being treated at a local hospital for injuries sustained in the crash. Video on social media, apparently taken minutes after the crash, showed dozens of people in Muslim dress, including children, screaming and rushing forward to see what happened. A statement from the nearby Newcastle Central Mosque said the collision took place just as people were leaving Eid prayers. Newcastle lawmaker Chi Onwurah, who said on Twitter that she was one of thousands celebrating Eid in the city, tweeted: "I was at the prayers earlier and there was so much joy and unity. Thinking of those affected by what I am told was terrible accident." Britain is on high alert for terror-related incidents involving vehicles after a string of recent attacks. A man drove a van into Muslim worshippers leaving two London mosques on June 19, killing one and injuring others. Police said that was a terror attack directed at Muslims. Police in Newcastle put extra officers on patrol to reassure people. Continue Reading

UK man who uploaded explicit pictures of ex-girlfriend more than 20 years after relationship is imprisoned

A man who posted explicit online pictures of his ex-girlfriend more than 20 years after they broke up has been thrown in prison. David Jones was locked up for three months after sharing the intimate pictures of his former girlfriend, who suffered depression after the "revenge porn" attack. Jones, 53, created fake Facebook and Twitter accounts to post 12 photos and one video of the woman taking part in a sexual act, reported the Daily Mirror. Some of the footage ended up on porn sites, Liverpool Magistrates Court heard. The woman said she felt “physically sick” when a friend alerted her that the pictures were online and said she was left with “a feeling of complete terror.” “The whole experience has totally shaken my trust in people and has left me feeling extremely anxious and depressed, and suffering from ill health," the victim said in a statement read to the court. “I feel nervous all of the time. Before this I was always strong and determined, and I never suffered ill-health. “This has left me devastated and will do for years to come.” Jones even published the woman's job, address and details of the school she attended. The defendant later apologized to the victim when she confronted him, but the images remain online, despite emails to the websites asking to have the photos removed. The conviction is one of the U.K.'s first concluded revenge porn cases. Jones, from Wallasey, Merseyside, admitted disclosing private sexual photographs and films with intent to cause distress. He was also ordered to pay his victim $1,560 in compensation and slapped with a restraining order. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

In wake of soldier’s beheading, UK authorities on alert for anti-Muslim backlash

Fear of a continuing backlash against Muslims gripped London on Thursday following the gruesome beheading of a British soldier by two men spouting jihadist rhetoric. An angry mob of some 250 members of the white supremacist English Defence League descended on the scene of the attack late Wednesday, throwing rocks and fighting with police. Two mosques in neighboring areas were also attacked. "When attacks like these happen, there's always the danger of far-right extremism also raising its head," Farooq Murad of the Muslim Council of Britain told the BBC on Thursday. "I think any form of extremism, any form of encouragement or incitement to violence, is something we stand firmly against,” he said. Prime Minister David Cameron, who cut short a state visit to Paris after the soldier’s hacking death, wasted no time in supporting Britain’s Muslim community, which has been subjected to ongoing tensions since the 2005 London transit bombings. "We will never give in to terror or terrorism in any of its forms," Cameron told reporters outside his official Downing St. residence. "This was not just an attack on Britain and on the British way of life, it was also a betrayal of Islam and of the Muslim communities who give so much to our country,” he said. “There is nothing in Islam that justifies this truly dreadful act," the prime minister said. Police in Essex arrested a 43-year-old man for breaking into a mosque carrying a knife and and an incendiary device. In Kent, officers arrested a man for damaging a mosque. He was held on charges of racially motivated criminal damage. Foot patrols were stepped up as community leaders called for calm. Tommy Robinson, leader of the English Defence League, spouted anti-Muslim rants as marauding members of his group taunted and assaulted police at the murder scene near the Woolwich Arsenal station, where the unidentified soldier had been Continue Reading

Media covered most of 78 terror attacks Trump said ‘not even being reported’

Corrections & Clarifications: An earlier version of this report mis-attributed a quote to the White House press secretary. The White House released a list Monday night of 78 terrorist attacks "executed or inspired" by the Islamic State that it claims supports President Trump's assertion that media organizations are deliberately failing to adequately report on terror attacks."You’ve seen what happened in Paris and Nice. All over Europe it’s happening. It’s gotten to a point where it’s not even being reported," Trump told military leaders and troops during his first visit as president to U.S. Central Command headquarters in Tampa."And in many cases, the very, very dishonest press doesn’t want to report it. They have their reasons and you understand that."Trump did not explain what he meant by "their reasons." White House press secretary Sean Spicer subsequently clarified Trump's remarks by telling reporters that it wasn't that there was no reporting on terrorist attacks, but that there was insufficient reporting."Protests will get blown out of the water, and yet an attack or a foiled attack doesn’t necessarily get the same coverage."The list of attacks distributed by the White House included high-profile incidents in Paris; Nice, France; Orlando; and San Bernardino, Calif., that received widespread media coverage — including from USA TODAY — as well as more obscure incidents in which police officers and security guards were injured but nobody was killed.The 78 domestic and international attacks cited took place between September 2014 and December 2016, although there was no explanation as to what merited inclusion on the list. There was no mention, for example, of terrorist attacks in Israel.The document contains errors. "Attacker" is misspelled more than two dozen times.During the period in question, USA TODAY reported on the vast majority of the incidents cited on the list. Continue Reading

Unreported terror attacks? Here are more than 200 articles on USA TODAY covering White House’s list

Corrections & Clarifications: A previous version of this article did not include USA TODAY coverage of the December 2015 terror attack in London. USA TODAY reported on 59 of the 78 terrorist attacks the White House released after President Trump said the "very dishonest press doesn’t want to report it."All the attacks that went unreported either involved non-fatal terrorist episodes or two or fewer deaths. Here is the full list from the White House as released (including misspelling of attacker), and links to stories USA TODAY posted on each event.TIMELINE: September, 2014 - December, 2016MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA Australian police shoot terrorist suspect dead Australian counter-terror police raids in MelbourneTIZI OUZOU, ALGERIA Jihadist video claims beheading of French hostage Algeria: Militant behind Frenchman's beheading killed French Muslims denounce Islamic State beheading Islamic State subway plots: What we knowQUEBEC, CANADA Canadian soldier dies after car attack; driver shot dead A look at terrorist attacks in Canada Canada: Convert to radical Islam ran down soldiers Terror attacks in Canada warn of things to come: ColumnOTTAWA, CANADA Chaos in Canada: Gunfire erupts at Parliament Police: Canadian terror attack driven by ideology Canadian PM vows to strengthen police powers Canada's new reality: Homegrown terrorism Shooting will tighten Canada-U.S. ties: Column Obama worries about lone wolf attacks Canada police: Shooter went from petty crime to terror Ottawa shooting victim remembered as loving parent Veteran threatened after guarding Canadian memorial Picture emerges of Canadian Parliament shooter Canadians laud sergeant-at-arms for taking down attacker Raw video: Shooting inside Canadian Parliament Ottawa shooting galleryNEW YORK CITY, NY, USA NYC police: Hatchet attack was a terrorist act NYPD officer recuperating after hatchet attackRIYADH, SAUDI ARABIAABU DHABI, UAE Abu Dhabi murder: 'Monster was Continue Reading