Sports stars who have brawled, behaved badly, been busted in New York City

Sometimes the allure of New York City takes sports stars from the back page to front page news. A slew of professional athletes have brawled, behaved badly and been busted in the city. Atlanta Hawks players Pero Antic and Thabo Sefolosha are the latest to find trouble. On Wednesday, the basketball teammates were arrested for impeding a police investigating the stabbing of ex-Knicks forward Chris Copeland. Here are the most notable players to find themselves on the front pages. PLAXICO BURRESS Former NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg inside Midtown's Latin Quarter nightclub in 2008. The weapon slid down his pants leg as he held a drink and it discharged when he fumbled for it. Burress — who played for the Giants at the time — was indicted on felony charges of criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment for the incident. He served 20 months in an upstate prison, and played for the Jets and the Steelers after his 2011 release. BRAYLON EDWARDS Former New York Jet Braylon Edwards was arrested in Manhattan fordrunk driving in 2010. The wide receiver was originally pulled over for excessively tinted windows at the intersection of W. 34th St. and 12th Ave., but police said he reeked of alcohol — and found twice the legal limit in his bloodstream. RAYMOND FELTON Point guard Raymond Felton pled guilty to felony gun charges last year for keeping an unregistered pistol in his estranged wife's Upper West Side apartment. The former Knick was sentenced to 500 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine as part of the plea. ANTHONY MASON The late Anthony Mason was arrested in 2000 for a brawl inside of a Harlem bar. The former New York Knick and some friends started arguing with other barflies at the now-closed Perks when the fight broke out, The New York Times reported. The victims suffered cuts and bruises, and the inciters Continue Reading

Periscope and other live stream apps present problems for sporting events

In the brave new world of sports programming that is sending shudders through some professional leagues and major networks, fans can watch a live stream of a game-winning home run, a slapshot in the closing seconds of an NHL game, or, as was the case this past weekend, catch all 12 rounds of the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout, without having to fork over a dime in Pay-Per-View fees. Welcome to the current social media rave where apps like Periscope and Meerkat allow viewers to access live video streaming provided by amateur videographers or credentialed media members at sporting events. In some cases, the providers of the content might do nothing more than live stream a game or match straight from their television screens. RELATED: PACQUIAO'S FAILURE TO DISCLOSE INJURY COULD BE PERJURY “This is a concern for our business overall,” said a network industry source. “It’s a concern for every grip, every lighting director, all the way up to the CEO of the company. This could be a Napster-type of thing. It’s going to evolve. It’s troubling, because you don’t know where it’s going to go.” Napster was the online service created in 1999 which allowed people to share copyrighted audio files. An injunction was issued two years later that shut down the service. The greater challenge with apps like Periscope, however, is trying to police thousands and perhaps millions of people from streaming live footage of games. One network insider said that for now, ABC, NBC, CBS and other big companies might not be too concerned about the Periscope craze since networks are able to provide a far superior product. “Periscope is really a non-issue. With the networks, you’re offering content for free, and it’s a better distribution system,” said the insider. “Your television coverage will almost certainly be better than somebody providing something Continue Reading

BMW’s 567-horsepower X6 M sport-utility is stoked for this cross-country challenge

BMW is pulling off the equivalent of drafting Ndamukong Suh for a round of touch football. That’s because the BMW Performance Center is bringing its most powerful all-wheel-drive vehicle to this year’s One Lap of America. This 3,245 mile trek isn’t exactly a relaxed Sunday drive, however. Last year’s overall winner was a Nissan GT-R with a rear wing that was large enough to make an Airbus A380 envious. Heck, even the “Econo Car” class winner was an absolutely fearsome 1989 Honda CRX. FOLLOW DAILY NEWS AUTOS ON FACEBOOK. 'LIKE' US HERE. The 7-day drive encompasses 11 states and includes skidpad stages, drag racing, time trials, along with long haul drives to these “transit stages.” BMW will officially compete in two categories, Truck/SUV and Stock Touring. We’re not sure what it’s going to face up against, but this brutish sport-ute has the muscle to take on pretty much anything. LEARN MORE ABOUT BMW HERE. The 2015 X6 M is the most powerful xDrive (AWD) vehicle ever offered by BMW. Under the hood is a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8 engine that produces 567-horsepower and 553 lb.-ft. of torque from 2,200 to 5,000 rpm. With the 8-speed M Steptronic gearbox doing some rapid-fire shifting, this mega-SUV is officially clocked at a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.0 seconds flat. Frankly, that sounds a little conservative to us. In the corners, the X6 M’s sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires provide in excess of 1.0 g of lateral force. If you have your morning mocha in the cupholder, well, things could get messy! The 2015 Tire Rack One Lap of America officially gets underway on May 2, with a starting point in South Bend, Indiana. Continue Reading

Sports marketing exec Alejandro Burzaco, indicted as part of FIFA scandal, turns himself in to Italian cops Tuesday

Another FIFA defendant is off the streets. Alejandro Burzaco of Argentina turned himself in to Italian authorities on Tuesday morning, according to reports, and is in custody in the city of Bolzano. He was indicted in the Eastern District of New York last month on charges of fraud, money laundering and racketeering. RELATED: RUSSIA, QATAR COULD LOSE WORLD CUP BIDS, SAYS FIFA OFFICIAL Burzaco is the chief executive of Torneos y Competencias S.A., a sports and marketing company that U.S. prosecutors say trafficked in tens of millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks in order to obtain lucrative media rights contracts for soccer tournaments. The indictment New York prosecutors unsealed last month quotes Burzaco acknowledging the illegality of one scheme during a May 1, 2014, meeting in South Florida with three others sports marketing executives. "All can get hurt because of this subject,” Burzaco says. “All of us go to prison." The Associated Press quoted Bolzano police official Giuseppe Tricarico saying Burzaco was accompanied by an Italian and Spanish-speaking lawyer when he turned himself in. Bolzano is close to the Austrian border. Burzaco was reportedly in Zurich, five hours from Bolzano, on May 27 when Swiss police raided the five-star hotel where FIFA executives were gathering and arrested seven men who are being held in Switzerland and await likely extradition to the United States. Another six defendants, including Burzaco, were the subject of a “red notice” release by Interpol, which released their names and photos to law enforcement agencies worldwide. The indictment alleges that Burzaco and several other defendants associated with rival firms joined forces in 2013 to form a company called Datisa to secure exclusive media rights for a series of South American soccer tournaments. The indictment says the men agreed to pay $110 million in bribes to FIFA officials. Continue Reading

Odd ending to Duke’s NCAA Tournament win over Utah ends up costing Las Vegas sports books

Think that last free throw was meaningless for Duke as it beat Utah in the Sweet 16? Thousands of gamblers in Las Vegas disagree. The free throw allowed the top-seeded Blue Devils to cover a 5 1/2-point spread on Friday night, topping the Utes by 6 at 63-57 and flipping wagers on a game many thought was already over. Luckily for gamblers, it appears most were backing Duke, laying 5 or 5 1/2 points at Las Vegas sports books operated by Caesars Entertainment, MGM Resorts International and the Wynn Las Vegas. RELATED: THE 10 GREATEST NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES OF ALL-TIME That bet was looking OK for wagers on the No. 5 seed Utah as the game was wrapping up. The buzzer had sounded, and the players had already even finished their customary postgame handshake. Some Utah players were already heading off the court. Done deal, right? Not quite. The whistle sounded. The officials had reviewed a call and determined that Utah, which was trying to foul, had successfully done so with 0.6 seconds left on the clock. The score at that moment was 62-57, a would-be push on bets taken at a 5-point spread, and a loss for some Duke bettors who gave up 51/2 points like those using America’s Line in the Daily News. Quinn Cook missed the first free throw, then made the second to finish the game at 63-57. Six point margin, Duke covers. “When he made the shot, it cost me somewhere between $200,000 and $300,000,” America’s Line’s Benjamin Eckstein said. “Just in Las Vegas, it likely cost the betting outlets in total between $1 and $2 million. The off-shore betting sites are hard to gauge, but it wouldn't surprise me if losses were in the high seven-figure category, possibly as much as $10 million.” It’s not immediately clear how much money swung on the free throw, but casinos appeared to be on the losing end. According to wager reports compiled by, nearly three-fourths of spread bettors were backing Duke Continue Reading

Charles Barkley leads sports figures in speaking out against Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act

INDIANAPOLIS — Sometimes it still happens the way it is supposed to in this country, and people with big voices and big platforms use them, and try to make a difference. And that means people from sports. It wasn’t just people in sports who came at the state of Indiana on a Religious Freedom Restoration Act that was discriminatory against gays and lesbians. It was politicians and corporate leaders and big business and the media. But the ones from sports who came at Indiana’s politicians came at them hard. Sometimes change doesn’t take years in America. Sometimes it doesn’t take that long to right wrongs in America. Sometimes the ability to effect change isn’t paralyzed by hucksters in Washington. Sometimes it happens fast, the way it happened in Indiana. “It was a perfect storm,” Charles Barkley was saying Friday morning, talking about how he first came to speak up about what was originally called State Bill 101. “I honestly don’t think it would have happened like it did if the Final Four wasn’t coming to Indianapolis this week. In that way, all of us who opposed that damn law or spoke up about it got lucky.” Barkley was one of the first to stand up. Others in sports followed him. Pat Haden, the USC athletic director, said that he wasn’t coming to Indiana as the proud father of a gay son. Reggie Miller spoke up and so did Mark Emmert, who runs the NCAA, and whose offices are in Indiana. Kevin Ollie, the coach of the defending men’s national champions in basketball from UConn, announced that he would honor the wishes of his governor, Dannel Malloy, who had banned travel to Indiana by state employees because of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and not attend the Final Four this weekend. LUPICA: KEVIN OLLIE STILL A CHAMP FOR TAKING ON INDIANA LAW Too often people from sports lose their voices at moments like these, or you simply can’t find them. Just not this Continue Reading

South Africa’s sports minister denies $10 million payment was a bribe to secure World Cup

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — South Africa’s sports minister “categorically” denied on Wednesday that the $10 million paid to former FIFA official Jack Warner in 2008 was a bribe for his help in securing the World Cup. Fikile Mbalula, however, said he couldn’t say what Warner did with the money, which South Africa claims was “above board” and meant for soccer development in the Caribbean region. What happened to the cash is “another story for investigators ... we don’t know,” Mbalula said. “We can’t account for that.” Mbalula repeated the South African government’s denials that the country paid bribes to win the right to host the 2010 tournament, as alleged in indictments from the U.S. Department of Justice. South Africa’s government — and former president Thabo Mbeki — first denied any wrongdoing in the bid process last week. “We therefore wish to categorically deny that our country and government have bribed anyone to win the rights for the 2010 FIFA World Cup,” Mbalula said Wednesday at the headquarters of the South African Football Association. The Justice Department believes that $10 million was sent by South Africa, through FIFA, to Warner in three wire transfers in 2008 as payback for him and two other then-FIFA executive committee members for backing South Africa in the 2004 vote. South Africa won the World Cup by four votes over Morocco, making the ballots of Warner and his two “co-conspirators” decisive. Mbalula characterized the $10 million as an “above board payment” to help the game in the Caribbean. Mbalula also insisted that the South African government had not contradicted itself after the emergence of a leaked letter from then-South African Football Association president Molefi Oliphant in 2008 asking FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke to send the $10 million to Continue Reading

Daily News Sports Talk Podcast: U.S. Open preview featuring Dr. Gio Valiante’s advice for Tiger Woods

Dr. Gio Valiante, noted Golf Psychologist, has some advice for Tiger Woods as he prepares for this week’s U.S. Open: “I would tell him to take the weekend off,” Valiante said in this week’s New York Daily News Sports Talk podcast, with also featured Daily News golf writer Hank Gola and sports edtior Bill Price U.S. OPEN COURSE GUIDE: HOW TO PLAY EVERY HOLE AT CHAMBERS BAY Valiante, who serves as a mental game consultant to the Golf Channel, Golf Digest and the University of Florida, was speaking from the American Express Champions Experience at Chambers Bay and said Woods’ mental state combined with the challenging layout of Chambers Bay golf course will make it a brutal weekend for Woods. Both Valiante and Gola break down Chambers Bay and give their picks who will emerge as the winner. Want more 'Daily News Sports Talk'? Check us out on iTunes, Stitcher or your podcast provider of choice. And if you like the show, let them know with a review. We want to hear from you. Hit us up on the Twitter with the hashtag #DNSportsTalk, and find more sports at GET MORE DAILY NEWS PODCASTS Continue Reading

Infiniti QX70 keeps the SPORT in sport-utility

There are a few cars and trucks that I consider true ‘sleepers,’ overlooked models that deserve to be sales homeruns, but for some reason get overlooked for less worthy models. The nimble and seductive Mazda6 midsize sedan is a perfect example. The gorgeous new Corvette Stingray is sometimes still saddled with the midlife-crisis-mobile badge, despite being a world class sports car. FOLLOW DAILY NEWS AUTOS ON FACEBOOK. 'LIKE' US HERE. I’d include the 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD amongst this company, too. This is a sport-utility that actually makes good on the promise of being sporty. The 3.7-liter V-6 delivers a strong 325-horsepower and 267 lb.-ft. of torque, and comes paired with a 7-speed automatic gearbox. Working with the optional all-wheel-drive system, you have the power of a sports sedan and, believe it or not, this SUV also has the driving manners of one. I’m not talking about BMW M5 acceleration or Cadillac CTS-V top speed, naturally. But the QX70 has tons of street presence; it remains a great looking truck, especially when rolling on 21-inch black alloys, like our tester. And the fact that the handling is linear and consistent, the ride firm not punishing, and the straight-line speed is there whenever called upon…well, why don’t more people buy this Infiniti SUV? Possibly because they already have, perhaps several times over. The QX70 name is relatively new, but the core of this SUV stretches back more than a decade, to the first-generation Infiniti FX35 and FX45 released all the way back in the 2003 model year. READ ABOUT THE 2016 QX70. If you’re old enough to remember when they were new – I’m raising my hand – then you know how dramatically different this Infiniti was at the time, especially given the boxy lines and dull drives afforded by most of its contemporary sport-utes. Since it first arrived, the FX has had a couple facelifts, a cabin Continue Reading

Jim Dent, best-selling sports author, sentenced to 10 years in prison for DWI

A best-selling sports author who fought a long battle with alcoholism is about to face a sobering new reality. Jim Dent, author of “The Junction Boys,” “Manziel Mania” and several other popular football books, was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in a Texas state prison for his ninth and 10th DWI convictions. Dent returned from Mexico, where he fled to avoid being sentenced after he pleaded guilty to the two DWI charges in November 2013. He stayed south of the border for a year before he was ready to come back and face his punishment, the Dallas Morning News reported. Dent, 62, began his career as a Dallas Cowboys beat reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Dallas Times Herald before becoming a nationally syndicated radio host and a prolific book writer. The wordsmith was left almost speechless in a video jail appearance at his sentence, mostly muttering “Yes, sir” and “No, sir” while answering questions about the plea agreement. His most recent charges stem from an October 2012 incident in which he crashed into his ex-girlfriend’s car during a dispute, and a May 2013 incident in which he was reportedly driving recklessly and arrested outside a Walgreens after buying beer and wine there. He will have to serve at least five years before he’s eligible for parole. The troubled writer racked up a record number of DWI convictions in four states starting in 1983, and also earned a bad reputation for failed court appearances and driving with suspended licenses. Dent told the Dallas Morning News in a profile published days before his sentencing that he took his last drink before crossing the border back into America. He also said he planned to produce at least one more book, an autobiography titled Last Call. Follow @jaysunsilver Continue Reading