Why you won’t see attendees wearing black on the Oscars red carpet

When the Time's Up movement was officially unveiled on the Golden Globes red carpet, its organizers, who include some of Hollywood's biggest stars, pledged that it was a movement with lasting power. Throughout awards season, with lapel pins and megawatt advocacy and a sustained digital campaign, Time's Up has maintained its momentum. But on the Academy Awards' red carpet this weekend, its presence could be more muted. Leaders of Time's Up will not ask celebrities and nominees to wear black, The New York Times reported last month. Additionally, "there was no coordinated effort for actresses to bring activists as guests, as there was at the Golden Globes," according to Times. How to watch the 90th Academy Awards In the days ahead of the Oscar ceremony, social media accounts for Time's Up have made no explicit reference to the show, instead featuring stories about Women's History Month or highlighting accomplishments of women within the movement's ranks. Time's Up members, however, note that the campaign's efforts extend beyond what actors and actresses may or may not wear on the red carpet.     "We are not an awards show protest group," director Ava DuVernay said on Thursday, according to a Los Angeles Times report. "So we stand down this time."   Oscar producers and ABC executives have indicated that they do not want the program to be subsumed by activism, suggesting the night will instead focus primarily on achievements in film. The sexual misconduct crisis presently roiling the entertainment industry -- and the subsequent "reckoning" it has spurred among Hollywood's women -- will be impossible for the telecast to ignore. A Variety report notes Time's Up "leaders said they had worked with the show's producers to bring attention to their cause," quoting DuVernay as saying "there's a moment that's been carved out." Yet during a season in which Hollywood traditionally veers toward the self-congratulatory, the scale of Time's Up -- and its Continue Reading

Baftas 2018: Three Billboards and Time’s Up triumph as black dresses take over the red carpet

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri wins Best Film Gary Oldman wins Leading Actor for Winston Churchill biopic Darkest Hour Rebecca Hawkes: Three Billboards is fitting Bafta winner The Duchess of Cambridge did not follow the #TimesUp all-black dress code Protesters invade red carpet All the winners and losers on the night Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was the biggest success at the Bafta Film Awards with five wins, while Gary Oldman was the only British star to take an acting award. The ascerbic story of a strong woman standing up for justice in small-town America was a fitting winner on a night when Time's Up pins and black dresses were an ever present reminder of the sexual harassment scandal coursing through the entertainment world. The point was not lost on Martin McDonagh, its British director.  “What I’m most proud of, especially in this Time’s Up year," he said, "is it is a film about a woman who refuses to take any more s***.” Its star, Frances McDormand, won the leading actress award and acknowledged the theme of the night even though she admitted failing "compliance" with the protest dress code of black.  "I want you to know that I stand in full solidarity with my sisters tonight in black and I also want to say that I appreciate a well-organised act of civil disobedience and I'm thrilled that activists all over the world have been inspired by the set decorations of the film and have taken to the streets and let it be a part of the positive discourse that's happening," she said, referring to a surge in use of billboards to highlight injustice since the film hit cinema screens. Its dominance, claiming the gongs for best film, leading actress, original screenplay, original music and outstanding British film, overshadowed The Shape Of Water, which was nominated for 12 awards but only won three Oldman became emotional as he accepted the leading actor award and thanked Sir Continue Reading

10 of the most awkward Oscar moments ever, from Gwyneth’s crying to Bjork laying an EGG on the red carpet

THE Oscars are a chance to celebrate the best in the showbiz industry, but not everything goes according to plan. Here are some of the most awkward moments that have occurred, from wrong winners announced to stars getting up close and personal on the red carpet... Jennifer Lawrence tripping up in 2013 Who can forget the moment that Jennifer Lawrence took a tumble as she made her way up on stage to collect Best Actress for Silver Lining Playbook? Poor J-Law laughed off the mishap as she picked up her gigantic dress and carried on up the steps like a professional to get her award. While she may wish she had picked a slightly smaller gown, the moment has gone down in Oscar history. She even got a standing ovation from the star-studded crowd as she recovered from the slip. Oscars 2013 - Jennifer Lawrence trips ... And her second fall If there is one thing we know for sure about the star, it's that she's a serial tripper. First at the 2013 Oscars when she fell up those stairs to three years later, stacking it on the red carpet. It's ok though Jen, we don't love you any less for being clumsy. If anything it adds to your character.John Travolta getting close to Scarlett Johansson in 2014 In 2015, Scarlett Johansson was minding her own business, having her photo taken at the Oscars. So what went wrong? Well, John Travolta swept in, like a piece of inappropriate tumble weed and kissed her on the cheek. It shouldn't be that weird but the picture says it all. Scarlett's reaction? She brushed it off and actually said it was "welcome".Angelina Jolie kissing her brother on the lips in 2000 Angelina Jolie made many people feel uncomfortable when she puckered up for a passionate kiss with her brother Jamie Haven. He was supporting her for winning Best Supporting Actress in Girl, Interrupted, but the intimate moment took everyone by surprise. During her speech, she said: "I'm in shock, and I'm so in love with my brother right now. "He just held me and said he loved me Continue Reading

Seacrest hosting Oscars red carpet despite allegations

Ryan Seacrest will continue to host E!’s Academy Awards preshow Sunday as planned, E! said Wednesday, in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations both Seacrest and the network call unsubstantiated. “E! can confirm that Ryan will be hosting E!’s ‘Live from the Red Carpet’ for Oscars as scheduled,” a spokesman told Newsday in an email. Meanwhile, actress Bellamy Young has apologized for suggesting Seacrest step down as host. “I have an apology to make,” Young, 48, who plays President Mellie Grant on “Scandal,” told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. Explaining she had been asked about the allegations Monday at the premiere of “A Wrinkle in Time,” in which she appears, Young said, “I spoke on record about something I had no firsthand knowledge of. … Never has there been a more urgent time to make sure our voices are used for truth, and I failed in that regard.” She went on to say, “I apologize to Ryan Seacrest. He has been exonerated from the allegations I was told about on the carpet, so my opinion is different now. I just want to clarify that anyone who uses my quote going forward is using the quote of an uninformed person and fanning the flames of a non-story by making use of an unwitting accomplice. I’ve learned that ‘I don’t know’ can be a complete answer. I will do better next time.” On Monday, Variety gave new details on allegations first put forth in November by Suzie Hardy, Seacrest’s stylist at E! from 2006 to 2013. She described years of unwanted sexual attention such as groping, grinding up against her and hugging her while in his underwear. When the allegations first arose, Seacrest, 43, said in a statement, “If I made her feel anything but respected, I am truly sorry. I dispute these reckless allegations and I plan to cooperate with any corporate inquiries that may result.” On Feb. 1, E! announced that its Continue Reading

Bellamy Young Apologizes to Ryan Seacrest After Saying He Shouldn’t Host Oscars Red Carpet

"Never has there been a more urgent time to make sure our voices are used for truth, and I failed in that regard Monday night" Reid Nakamura, provided by Published 7:31 pm, Tuesday, February 27, 2018 Image 1of/1 CaptionClose Image 1 of 1 Bellamy Young Apologizes to Ryan Seacrest After Saying He Shouldn’t Host Oscars Red Carpet 1 / 1 Back to Gallery Bellamy Young has apologized to Ryan Seacrest for saying he should not host E!’s red carpet coverage at the Oscars. The “Scandal” star issued a statement on Tuesday saying she was “uninformed” on the issue when she suggested Seacrest should “step aside” in light of the recent sexual misconduct allegations against him. “I have an apology to make,” Young said on Tuesday. “On Monday night on the red carpet, I spoke on record about something I had no first hand knowledge of. I trusted that the information that the journalist provided me with was complete, and I gave my general opinion based on the information he provided.” Also Read: Ryan Seacrest Says He Was 'Cleared' of Sexual Abuse Recommended Video: Now Playing: The E! stylist who accused Ryan Seacrest of sexual misconduct is now detailing her allegations, including that he grabbed her crotch multiple times Media: People Earlier in the day on Monday, Variety published details of “unwanted sexual aggression” alleged by Seacrest’s former stylist for “E! News.” Those allegations had already been investigated by E!, which announced earlier this month that it had found “insufficient evidence to substantiate” the claims. Young weighed in on the matter on Monday, but also acknowledged that she was not familiar with the case. “The world is changing quickly right now, and many of us have been affected by this issue: I spoke up because I feel deeply that the secrecy of shame plays a significant Continue Reading

Ryan Seacrest to Host Oscars Red Carpet for E! ‘As Scheduled’

E! says an investigation "found insufficient evidence to substantiate allegations" of sexual misconduct Tony Maglio, provided by Published 1:25 pm, Tuesday, February 27, 2018 Image 1of/1 CaptionClose Image 1 of 1 Ryan Seacrest to Host Oscars Red Carpet for E! ‘As Scheduled’ 1 / 1 Back to Gallery Ryan Seacrest is set to host the Oscars Red Carpet show for E! “as scheduled,” per a rep for the cable channel. “E! Can confirm that Ryan will be hosting E!’s ‘Live from the Red Carpet’ for Oscars as scheduled,” a network spokesperson told TheWrap on Tuesday. The popular TV and radio personality was accused of sexual harassment by former stylist Suzie Hardy. A network-sponsored investigation by outside counsel “found insufficient evidence to substantiate allegations” against the “American Idol” host. Also Read: Ryan Seacrest Silent on Harassment Accusation on Tuesday's 'Live With Kelly and Ryan' Recommended Video: Now Playing: Kylie jenner is rumored to be pregnant and everyone is trying to figure out if the rumors are true. at Las Vegas's iHeart Radio Festival Ryan seacrest hosted the event and claimed that the rumors were a surprise to him as well. He was asked if the pregnancy would be aired on the show and he was quoted saying, “What's in the show is always up to the family… They decide what is in the show.” Keeping up with the kardashian fans may have to wait a little bit longer to get confirmed baby news. Media: Wochit “E!’s investigation was extremely comprehensive and thorough,” a network spokesperson said on Monday. “Over the course of a two month process, our outside counsel interviewed more than two dozen people regarding the allegations, including multiple separate meetings with the claimant and all firsthand witnesses that she provided. The investigator is an attorney Continue Reading

Red carpet staple Marchesa cancels NY Fashion Week show

Leanne Italie, Ap Entertainment Writer Updated 1:25 pm, Wednesday, January 31, 2018 window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({ mode: 'thumbnails-c', container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-5', placement: 'Interstitial Gallery Thumbnails 5', target_type: 'mix' }); _taboola.push({flush: true}); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({ mode: 'thumbnails-c', container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-10', placement: 'Interstitial Gallery Thumbnails 10', target_type: 'mix' }); _taboola.push({flush: true}); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({ mode: 'thumbnails-c', container: 'taboola-interstitial-gallery-thumbnails-12', placement: 'Interstitial Gallery Thumbnails 12', target_type: 'mix' }); _taboola.push({flush: true}); Photo: Jordan Strauss, Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP Image 1of/12 CaptionClose Image 1 of 12 This combination photo shows two angles of model Karolina Kurkova wearing a Marchesa gown at the Oscars in Los Angeles on Feb. 22, 2015. The luxe womenswear brand Marchesa may not survive the horrors of Harvey Weinstein, the estranged husband of co-founder Georgina Chapman. The company on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018, canceled its scheduled Feb. 14 show at New York Fashion Week after a decade of presenting collections there. And there’s been a Marchesa blackout on red carpets as awards season winds down. (Photos by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP) less This combination photo shows two angles of model Karolina Kurkova wearing a Marchesa gown at the Oscars in Los Angeles on Feb. 22, 2015. The luxe womenswear brand Marchesa may not survive the horrors of Harvey ... more Photo: Jordan Strauss, Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP Image 2 of 12 This combination photo shows two angles of former Miss Universe Olivia Culpo wearing a Marchesa Continue Reading

SAG Awards 2018: Time’s Up quotes overheard on the red carpet

At Sunday's SAG Awards, stars shared their support for the anti-sexual harassment movement in Hollywood.  Here are some notable quotes from the red carpet. Zoe Kazan The Big Sick star shared how the conversations are changing in Hollywood around sexual harassment.“I’m not hearing a difference in conversation, I think what I’m hearing more is just really more conversations," she told USA TODAY. " And a lot more conversation is being initiated by men. I’ve had more men initiate conversations with me about harassment than I ever had in my life, so that’s really exciting."  Susan Kelechi Watson The This is Us actress said she has been part of the Time's Up conversations but has not yet had time to attend any of the meetings.“What I’m the most proud of is that it seems so proactive, like everybody’s thinking of solutions and ways that we can now change the tide and sort of make a better way for women, a more equal way for women,” she told USA TODAY.  “And that’s been very exciting to me, I think that’s a great conversation because it just seems like a positive way to carry it on.” Allison Janney“Everyone’s talking about it and that’s what’s important. Conversations are happening. There’s a new national safe word, which is ‘I’m uncomfortable,’ ” the I, Tonya actress told USA TODAY. “It’s great that we’re dealing with these things, especially abusive power, which I don’t think will ever go away, but the fact that people will be held accountable for their behavior is a huge thing we’re standing up for.” More: Alison Brie speaks out on claims facing brother-in-law James Franco: 'I support my family' More: Screen Actors Guild Awards 2018: A minute-by-minute breakdown of the night's festivities Allison Williams Speaking to E!'s Continue Reading

Shia LaBeouf sports paper bag over his head on Berlin red carpet, walks out of ‘Nymphomaniac’ press conference

Shia LaBeouf inexplicably stormed out of a Berlin press conference for his new film "Nymphomaniac" on Sunday, after answering only one question. The "Fury" actor, 27, responded to the lone question — about his many sex scenes in the Lars von Trier film — with an arbitrary caveat, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much," he reportedly said, before walking away. The line is a quote from French soccer legend Eric Cantona, as recited in the movie "Looking for Eric," THR reports. The film ends with footage of Cantona at a press conference where he made the seagulls statement while the credits roll. LaBeouf's questionable display apparently included his appearance. He walked the red carpet with a paper bag on his head which read "I am not famous anymore." It's the same sentence he has been repeating on his Twitter page since January 13.   The actor looked unkempt and even had a missing bottom tooth, according to THR. He shaved the tooth down for his role in "Fury," the magazine reports, and was also noticeably thinner. Hours earlier on Saturday night, LaBeouf narrowly avoided another bar-brawl situation. The "Charlie Countryman" actor lunged after three young men who tried to take his photo at the Ritz Carlton lounge, THR reports. A few of his acquaintances reportedly had to intervene. It's the latest of a series of bizarre antics from LaBeouf. In January, he was caught on video head-butting a man during a London bar fight. And, after months of media scrutiny and Internet backlash over a plagiarism claim involving the work of graphic novelist Daniel Clowes, LaBeouf issued a series of borrowed Twitter "apologies," culminating in a declaration that he would be "retiring from all public life." While that was short-lived, the actor came back weeks later saying that Continue Reading

Vera Wang: Celebrities’ red carpet designer disses are like ‘having your guts ripped out’

Designer disses on the red carpet aren’t infrequent, but that doesn’t mean they don’t hurt. Realizing a star changed her mind about your design and wore someone else’s gown is like “having your guts ripped out,” Vera Wang told Women’s Wear Daily. “I don’t care what status of designer or what history you had or whether you’re an emerging designer, it’s so painful not only to you, but your sewers, your staff, your assistants and p.r. people,” Wang said. “It is devastating.” The 63-year-old designer — famous for dressing A-listers in her couture gowns and ethereal bridal designs — quoted something Caroline Herrera once said: “You know, when you hurt me, you’re not just hurting me. I can take it. But everyone around me that gives up their life for me can’t.” Once, Wang worked on a wedding gown for a year — and then the couple called the engagement off. She called dressing stars for red carpet events “a gamble of the highest order.” “It’s Vegas and then some,” Wang said. At this year’s Oscars, actress Anne Hathaway showed up in a pink Prada dress — not the Valentino gown she’d originally chosen to wear. She later issued a public apology to the snubbed designer for the last-minute switch. [email protected] Join the Conversation: Continue Reading