Board game list: 100 great games you’ve probably never heard of

1 of 10 View 10 Items Source: The year is 1822. After years of decay, it is time to rebuild the medina, located at the foot of the Atlas Mountains. The architects and engineers of the city work to erect large and beautiful palaces and to renovate the damaged city wall. As the reconstruction of the old city progresses, the city's inhabitants flock through the alleys, and the contours of the new city gradually reappear. In recent years, board games have made an incredible comeback. One could say it is the "golden age" of board gaming right now. Thousands of new titles are published every year and some board games started on kickstarter have raised millions of dollars. Here is a list of short descriptions about some great board games many people have probably never heard of. Read on and discover something that peaks your interest. Games are in alphabetical order. A Feast for Odin is the right game to play if you enjoy the games Agricola or Caverna. In this Viking-themed game, each turn players must decide what space to activate for building ships, covering player boards, feeding Vikings and creating jewelry. This is what worker placement is all about. Adventure Land is a simple game for families. On a grid-system board, players maneuver to collect resources and fight monsters in a lightly themed fantasy setting. But there is no going back. Progress must always move forward. Albion's Legacy lets players take on the roles of Arthurian knights and traverse the realm cooperatively defeating evil. Collect artifacts and weapons to defeat adversaries and compete in the famous chronicles of King Arthur. Amerigo is about exploration, trading and discovery in the Age of Sails. A unique cube tower collects action cubes and then randomly disperses them to allow certain actions. Explore South America and build settlements. Arcadia Quest and Arcadia Quest Beyond the Grave are campaign-based dungeon-delving Continue Reading

Activist Ackman looks for board seats, better returns at payroll firm ADP

By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Greg Roumeliotis (Reuters) - Billionaire investor William Ackman on Friday said his hedge fund had taken an 8 percent stake in Automatic Data Processing Inc and plans to ask for board seats so he can push the U.S. human resources outsourcing company to cut costs and improve its returns. Ackman's move on ADP, which has a market value of about $50 billion, comes as the leader of Pershing Square Capital Management looks for a big win following money-losing investments in debt-laden drugmaker Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc and norovirus-stricken restaurant chain Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc . The 51-year-old activist investor said he would seek minority representation on ADP's 10-member board. ADP said earlier on Friday that Ackman wanted five board directors, including a seat for himself. ADP also said Ackman wanted to oust Carlos Rodriguez, ADP's chief executive since 2011. Pershing Square said in a statement later in the day that it was willing to work with existing management at ADP or a new external CEO. Ackman said he had asked ADP to extend its Aug. 10 deadline for board nominations to facilitate negotiations with the company. ADP said it declined this request, which would have pushed back the nomination deadline by as much as 45 days. Ackman did not disclose his board nominees in his conversations with ADP, people familiar with the discussions told Reuters on condition of anonymity. He could disclose them as early as next week, in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which will have details on his position in ADP, one of the people added. Ackman believes ADP can improve its operating performance by accelerating growth, improving the quality of its software and service offerings, slashing operating costs and increasing efficiency, Pershing Square said in its statement. The stakes are high for Ackman. His fund lost 10.2 percent last year after losing 16.6 percent in 2015. It had Continue Reading

Shelburne Selectboard moves to oust member

SHELBURNE – The Shelburne Selectboard has scheduled a public hearing for Friday to consider the possible removal of board member Josh Dein.At its meeting last Tuesday, the Selectboard cited a number of “alleged causes for removal,” including an accusation that Dein discussed confidential legal strategy regarding a lawsuit involving Vermont Railway and a salt transfer station. Dein has also “repeatedly exhibited temper tantrums,” according to the town’s motion to remove him from the board, and “on more than one occasion his conduct has placed another Selectboard Member in fear of imminent bodily harm.”The motion also accuses Dein of repeatedly violating state open-meeting laws by sending emails regarding town business to the entire Selectboard. Dein, a wildlife veterinarian, was elected last March to a three-year term on the Selectboard.Dein referred comment Monday to his lawyer, Pietro Lynn of Burlington. “The charges against Mr. Dein are wholly without merit,” Lynn said. “We expect to vigorously defend him against these charges and we fully expect him to prevail. This is the worst kind of political bullying.”Lynn said he couldn’t disclose conversations with his client regarding possible bullying but said he is not aware of any “persuasive evidence” supporting the charges against Dein. “I cannot speculate to why these charges have been fabricated,” Lynn said. “That’s beyond my ability. What I can say is that any careful examination of them will demonstrate there is nothing to them.”Town manager Joe Colangelo said Friday’s hearing would allow the town and Dein to present information and cross-examine each other’s witnesses. “The Selectboard will be sitting as a quasi-judicial board,” Colangelo said Monday. “It will be like a trial.”Colangelo is mentioned in the Selectboard motion as having witnessed Dein, after Continue Reading

Feds derail Fort Collins quiet zone

Efforts to establish a "quiet zone" in downtown Fort Collins free of blaring train horns have been derailed by federal regulators.The Federal Railroad Administration on Friday notified city officials it will not grant a waiver of its rule that trains sound horns before crossing public streets out of concern for safety along the BNSF tracks that run along Mason Street.In a letter to the city, the FRA stated it is denying the city's request "at this time" and left open the possibility of creating a quiet zone if safety requirements were met, such as installing gates with flashing lights at every crossing.The city's proposal to use traffic signals to control vehicle movement in parts of the proposed quiet zone did not meet the agency's safety standards, said Ron Hynes, director of the FRA Office of Technical Oversight.FORT COLLINS: City shares idea for train traffic app"When we establish a quiet zone, per the regulations, we require the equivalent level of safety," Hynes said. "And with the absence of gates, putting up red lights is not an option in the regulation."Of the hundreds of quiet zones created across the country in recent years, none has been established without gates, Hynes said.City officials were disappointed by the decision, said Dan Weinheimer, policy and project manager for Fort Collins. The city worked with a regional FRA office to come up with a proposal that seemed "reasonable," he said.The FRA letter stated FRA Administrator Sarah Feinberg had directed staff to form an internal working group with the Federal Transit Administration and the Federal Highway Administration to assist the city in finding a solution to the train noise issue.The working group would be the first of its kind within the Department of Transportation, said Matt Lehner, communications director for FRA. The group was formed at the urging of the Colorado congressional delegation, especially Sen. Michael Bennet.Having a working group would go a long way toward finding a solution, Continue Reading

Kelly: It didn’t start like a ‘Summer of Hell’ for commuters, but it wasn’t heaven, either

HOBOKEN — It wasn’t hell. But it wasn’t heaven, either.If anything, the first day of the so-called commuter “Summer of Hell” was a reminder of the fragility of the region's transit system.The trains from across North Jersey that converged on this crowded city on the Hudson River ran mostly on time — for now, anyway. So did the buses, subways and ferries that took commuters from Hoboken into Manhattan. Even the various transit agencies brought in squads of smiling staffers — many in green fluorescent vests — to offer advice on how to navigate the new routes across the Hudson River.But that’s not saying much.Monday’s start of nearly $40 million in repairs on the creaky labyrinth of tracks leading from two century-old trans-Hudson rail tunnels into New York City’s Penn Station was notable for what did not happen. The much-feared commuter chaos never materialized, especially in Hoboken, which was set to receive up to 23,000 more commuters over the 16,000 that it normally welcomes on weekdays.But at almost every turn was yet another reminder of how far a once-great commuter rail system had fallen. RIDER REACTION: Morning commute not as bad as expected ROAD WARRIOR: 'Summer of hell' launches a creative app Consider the plight of one of the morning’s first arrivals — the 5 a.m. Pascack Valley train that runs down the spine of Bergen County to Hoboken.The train, which was only one-third full, ran smoothly until — as usual — it had to slow down to pass over a nearly century-old, rusting bridge over the Hackensack River. No one knows when the bridge will be replaced — if ever.Consider also the Hoboken station where that Pascack line ends up, along with dozens of other trains from a spider’s web of tracks across North Jersey. The station was built in 1907. Now, more than a century later, it’s a favorite of film directors looking for a setting Continue Reading

In infrastructure push, Trump seeks to privatize air traffic control system

WASHINGTON – As President Trump braces for potentially explosive congressional testimony this week from ex-FBI Director James Comey, the White House on Monday kicked off a week-long promotion of various infrastructure proposals, starting with a long-shot plan to privatize the nation's air traffic control system.Hailing "a great new era in American aviation," Trump said his plan would reduce the number of flight delays and wait times that cost consumers millions of dollars. "We live in a modern age," Trump said during a ceremony at White House, "but our air traffic control system is stuck, painfully, in the past."While specifics on how to upgrade the nation's roads and bridges are still being developed, Trump on Monday said he would urge Congress to pass a plan to put the nation's air traffic control system in private hands. It calls for creating a private, nonprofit corporation, with airlines contributing fees rather than the taxes they now pay the government to cover the approximately $10 billion annual cost for air-traffic control.“After billions and billions of tax dollars spent, and the many years of delays, we’re still stuck with an ancient, broken, antiquated, horrible system that doesn’t work,” Trump said. “Other than that it’s quite good.”In the coming days, Trump and other administration officials will call on states, cities, and private companies to pay more for rebuilding roads, bridges, railways, airports, and other types of infrastructure. The schedule includes meetings with members of Congress, a Wednesday speech in Cincinnati, and an "infrastructure summit" Thursday with various governors and mayors at the White House.Some Democratic lawmakers said Trump really doesn't have an infrastructure plan. Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, said in a tweet that Trump "is NOT proposing money for infrastructure. It's tax cuts for financiers, privatizing public Continue Reading

12 things to know about proposed Bakken oil pipeline

Months of debate over a proposed $3.8 billion crude oil pipeline will come to a head Thursday when the Iowa Utilities Board begins hearings on the controversial project, which has deeply divided Iowans from many walks of life.Dakota Access LLC., a unit of Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners, is so confident its pipeline project will be approved that the company has already hired contractors to lay the pipe. In addition, a third-party procurement firm has already delivered huge stacks of metal pipe to Iowa that would be purchased by Dakota Access if state permits are authorized. But foes of the project insist the pipeline approval isn’t a done deal.The pipeline would run diagonally for 343 miles through 18 Iowa counties while transporting up to 570,000 barrels of light sweet crude oil daily from the Bakken and Three Forks oil production areas of North Dakota.The pipeline would end at a distribution hub at Patoka, Ill., where the oil could be transferred to railroad tank cars or linked to another pipeline for shipment to refineries in the Gulf Coast area.The utilities board says 280 people have signed up to testify on Thursday, including 134 in favor of the pipeline, 143 opposed, and three who are neutral. ALL PREVIOUS: Bakken pipeline coverageHere are 12 things to know about  the upcoming hearings, which will be held at the Boone County Fairgrounds in Boone: 1. WHO IS PROPOSING THE PIPELINE?Energy Transfer is considered a leader in the domestic energy sector, and it already owns and operates about 71,000 miles of pipelines throughout the United States.The company announced plans for the project in June 2014, and it says it has secured long-term binding  contracts for oil shipments to support construction of the pipeline. Much of the oil produced since a boom began in North Dakota’s oil region has been hauled to major refining markets by railroad tank cars and trucks, a method that is Continue Reading

Community Board 5 and Middle Village pup owners sniff around for dog run in Juniper Valley Park

The hunt for a dog park in Middle Village continues tomorrow when community members tour proposed sites at Juniper Valley Park.But the area between two ballfields, coveted by the local dog owners group, isn't on the list. Members of Community Board 5, including Kathy Masi, said the tree-lined spot in the middle of the park isn't appropriate for a dog run. "I have a commitment to see this through," said Masi, who heads its dog run subcommittee. "We're working towards a dog run whether it's on park or private property." Joe Pisano, president of the Juniper Park Dog Owners Association, has been lobbying the board for a year in an effort to get a dog park in that location. Dog owners already congregate in the area. "We're going to look at everything with an open mind," said Pisano, who has two giant schnauzers named Primo and Shea. "If something is really appealing to us, we would be more than happy to consider it." Pisano's group and the community board have been at odds in recent months over the dog park plan. Pisano said the board has been ignoring its request. Tomorrow's meeting and tour is an effort to bring both sides together. City Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley (D-Middle Village) has been in touch with CSX railway officials about a site on its property in Middle Village. But some community members are reluctant to take land from CSX, since a group of Middle Village residents who live near the tracks have been battling with the company about train noise and other woes in their backyards. "The councilwoman has said it's not a matter of if there will be a dog park, but where," said Crowley spokeswoman Meredith Burak. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

Mexico turns toward alternative energy

LA VENTOSA, Mexico — Mexico inaugurated one of the world's largest wind farm projects Thursday as the nation looks for alternative energy, in part to compensate for falling oil production. Mexico is trying to exploit its rich wind and solar potential after relying almost exclusively on petroleum for decades. With oil production down by 9.2 percent in 2008, Mexico now is turning to foreign companies, mainly Spanish, to tap its renewable riches. "If we don't do something about this problem of climate change it probably could become — I'm sure it already is — one of the biggest threats to humanity," said President Felipe Calderon at the inaugural ceremony attended by about 1,000 residents, many of whom held on to their cowboy hats on this wind-swept day. The new, $550 million project is in a region so breezy that the main town is named La Ventosa, or "Windy." It's on the narrow isthmus between the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean, where winds blow at 15 mph to 22 mph, a near-ideal rate for turbines. Gusts have been known to topple tractor trailers. Spanish energy company Acciona Energia says the 6,180-acre (2,500-hectare) farm should generate 250 megawatts of electricity with 167 turbines, 25 of which are already operating. The rest should be on line by the end of the year, making the project the largest of its kind in Latin America. It will produce enough energy to power a city of 500,000 people, while reducing carbon monoxide emissions by 600,000 metric tons each year, according to the company. Esteban Morras, Acciona board member, said the project could be just the start for Mexico. "This country has great potential for wind development and should take advantage," he said. The project is also a joint venture with Cemex Inc. and will provide 25 percent of the Mexican cement giant's energy needs, fulfilling the company's goal of using alternative fuels. Mexico hopes to boost the nation's wind energy Continue Reading

Webster supervisor race ignites fire on social media

As Nov. 7 approaches and the already heated race for Webster town supervisor advances, residents and candidates alike have taken to Facebook to plead their case.The two-way race between longstanding incumbent Republican Town Supervisor Ronald Nesbitt and Democratic newcomer John Hutchings has been notably aggressive from the get-go when Hutchings first announced his candidacy in early August.While Nesbitt brings over two decades of experience in Webster government, over a decade of which was served in his role as supervisor, Hutchings gives residents a fresh face and alternative option to the incumbent, who was uncontested in the last election.But it's not just the competition that has given this race such bite. Rather, it's the role that social media has played in fueling public discussion central to the election itself, as well as the candidates' very different uses of social media's functions."This will be my 10th election in 22 years. I’ve had opponents in seven of those 10, and by all measures, social media has given this election a different look than in past," said Nesbitt.Unlike Hutchings, who has maintained an active social presence through his campaign's Facebook page, which he uses to post to Webster community group pages at least once a day, Nesbitt has refrained from personally engaging on the platform. "From day one, I said that I wouldn't be on there, so I haven't been. But people have brought to my attention some of the stuff that has been going on and it's just so outrageous," he said.Nesbitt does, however, have a campaign page which he said is managed by his surrogates.Hutchings, on the other hand, hasn't been shy to use the platform, using it to call attention to not only to his campaign, but to direct public inquiry toward his competitor."I have made my living for 10 years with social media as my primary vehicle of communication," said Hutchings, who is a local businessman and Continue Reading