Milwaukee County bus driver who helped cold, lost boy in viral video to be honored

A Milwaukee County bus driver who helped a cold, lost 5-year-old boy will be honored Wednesday for her actions.Karen Martinez-Casper, a driver for the Milwaukee County Transit System, saw the child standing outside without socks and shoes on the morning of Oct. 9 on Milwaukee's northwest side. Martinez, driving Route 80, stopped, brought the boy inside the bus and called for help. A passenger took off her coat and wrapped it around the boy. With Martinez's help, police were able to reunite the 5-year-old with his family.The entire interaction was captured on security cameras on the bus — and the footage went viral after it was shared on local and national media outlets. RELATED: Video of Milwaukee County bus driver helping cold, lost boy gets national media attention It was the fifth time in a year that a county bus driver has found a lost or missing child, according to the transit system.Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele and Ald. Cavalier Johnson will recognize her Wednesday afternoon.“Karen is a shining example of public service and selflessness,” Abele said in a news release. Johnson, who represents the city's 2nd aldermanic district, praised her for keeping the boy safe.“In today’s day and age, too many people have a cynical view of government, but we know that people like Karen and thousands of other City and County employees are making a real difference in the lives of people every single day," Johnson said. Continue Reading

‘Lost Boys’ TV reboot coming to CW from ‘Veronica Mars’ creator Rob Thomas

From teenage private eyes to vampires. “Veronica Mars” creator Rob Thomas is bringing the 1987 horror film “The Lost Boys” back in the form of a TV show on the CW. The Joel Schumacher-directed movie, starring Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Corey Feldman, Dianne Wiest, Edward Herrmann, Alexander Winter, Jamison Newlander and Barnard Hughes, set brothers Michael and Sam Emerson against a gang of vampires in Santa Carla, California. Thomas’ reboot will be a seven-season, anthology show that focuses on what it means to be immortal, according to Deadline. Each season will cover a decade, beginning in San Francisco in 1967 during The Summer of Love. Like Ryan Murphy’s “American Horror Story” and “American Crime Story,” characters, setting and plot will change with each season. Thomas already has “iZombie” on the CW, joining his “Lost Boys” reboot. The network is also debuting a TV version of the 2000 movie “Frequency.” Continue Reading

‘The Good Lie,’ a drama about Sudanese refugees, aims for hard truths by casting former real-life Lost Boys

Despite the title, there is actually a whole lot of truth in “The Good Lie.” Based on real-life events, the drama starring Reese Witherspoon depicts the journey of orphaned Sudanese refugees, dubbed the “Lost Boys” or “Lost Girls,” to escape the civil war that has ravaged their homeland. In order for the film to be authentic as possible, the filmmakers cast Sudanese actors Arnold Oceng, Emmanuel Jal, Ger Duany and Kuoth Wiel to portray the tight-knit foursome. But Jal and Duany have particularly deep ties to the war-torn country that go beyond the script: They themselves are former “Lost Boys” who had been forced to become child soldiers at a young age before finding safe haven in the U.S. After escaping the dire circumstances in southern Sudan, Jal became an accomplished, award-winning recording artist and Duany established a modeling and movie career, making his film debut in David O. Russell’s “I Heart Huckabees.” Jal and Duany’s stories of survival in the face of brutality are worthy of being made into films of their own. In fact, they already have: Jal had his story chronicled in the documentary “War Child,” and Duany in “Ger: To be Separate,” which he also co-produced. But the actors told the Daily News that sharing their stories in documentaries was quite different from revisiting those experiences as characters in “The Good Lie,” especially for Jal, since this was only his second time acting on screen. “For me to get out the emotions, I had to think about the past,” said the 34-year-old actor, who plays Paul, the refugee who has the most difficult time adjusting to his move to America. “Five seconds of reviewing the past becomes so fresh in your brain like it was yesterday.” He recalled that for one particularly harrowing scene, “I had to think about my village burning down.” Jal Continue Reading

Man shot by police was ‘Lost Boy’ from Sudan

Fleeing violence and civil war in Sudan, Deng Manyoun came to the U.S. with the so-called "Lost Boys of Sudan," a group of orphaned and displaced ethnic youths, according to Louisville Sudanese community leaders and case workers.Manyoun, who was shot by a Louisville Metro Police officer on Saturday, was resettled in Nashville, Tenn., around 2001 as a young man and moved to Louisville in 2008 to be near a relative who later moved to another state, acquaintances said.But Manyoun, an ethnic Dinka, struggled. For years, they said, he abused alcohol and racked up a long series of arrests. He was intermittently homeless. He couldn't seem to find work. In April, he was taken to a state mental hospital after acting suicidal, said Matur Reclow, chairman of the South Sudanese Community of Kentucky.RELATED | Police release video of shooting amid criticismRELATED | Police use of force guidelines clear but flexibleWhen Reclow picked up Manyoun, now 35, from the psychiatric hospital, a case worker told him that Manyoun was "depressed and feeling like he had nowhere to go," he said."I tried telling him, you can turn your life around," Reclow said.Manyoun — whose name is spelled slightly differently, as Manyuon, in court documents than it is in police reports — was shot to death in an altercation on Fourth Street with Officer Nathan Blanford. Surveillance video shows Blanford getting out of a squad car and talking to Manyoun, who appeared unsteady on his feet. Manyoun then walks out of the picture and re-emerges with a flagpole that he then swings at Blanford. The video shows Blanford firing his weapon, leading to Manyoun's death.Police leaders have said the officer appears to have acted in self-defense.Reclow said Manyoun spoke broken English but often used a translator in court. He called him a normally a quiet man whose actions may have been rooted in his struggles and frustrations. Others who knew him said he could be belligerent when he drank."His problem was Continue Reading

Review: Play about a famous lost boy, ‘Peter and the Starcatcher,’ finds a home on Broadway

Beaming with dizzy humor and delightful stage magic, Broadway’s “Peter and the Starcatcher” is a big dipperful of fun. The “Peter Pan” precursor seen downtown a year ago is based on the 2004 book by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Set in the Victorian era, the adventure yarn unspools a stream of abused orphans, pillaging pirates, coveted booty, shipwrecks, killer crocodiles and enchanted dust from fallen stars that changes anything — and anyone — it touches. In taking the tale from page to stage, co-directors Roger Rees and Alex Timbers forgo the high-tech hydraulics of nearby “Wicked,” a long-running hit prequel. Instead, with their talented design team, they create a bewitchingly theatrical world out of simple backdrops and props. How to stage a sea chase? Toy boats. A huge beast’s eyes and scary choppers? Red headlights and two ropes strung with white triangular flags. A wacky mermaid bikini top? Kitchen utensils. It all works wonderfully. For the most part, so does the adaptation by Rick Elice (“Jersey Boys”). He’s loaded the script with wisecracks, one-liners and witty asides. Youngsters won’t get a number of references, such as missing treasure being “as elusive as the melody in a Philip Glass opera.” But kids will get the gag (pun intended) about passing gas and be tickled. (I was, too.) Some jokes strain and the story still stalls a bit midway through the second half. But improvements have been made since Off-Broadway. A better soundscape lets the mix of sea chanteys and chorales ring clearer. And the 12 actors, who all play more than one part and most of whom are reprising roles, are sharper than ever. The crackerjack ensemble packs three grand prizes. Adam Chanler-Berat is brooding Best of the bunch: Celia Keenan-Bolger, whose high-spirited and big-hearted turn as the can-do aristocrat Molly is irresistible. At its heart, Continue Reading

‘The Lost Boys’ star Corey Haim dead at 38; police suspect drug overdose

Eighties teen idol Corey Haim, who battled drug addiction for years but recently returned to films, died Wednesday of an apparent accidental overdose. Haim, 38, collapsed in his mother's Burbank apartment just before 1 a.m. "Corey was running a fever (Tuesday) from about 99 to 101 degrees, so a doctor came over and said he was fine," Haim's agent, Mark Heaslip, told the Daily News. "That night he woke his mom up and said 'Lie next to me, I'm having trouble breathing.'" Shortly after midnight, the concerned mom woke and saw Corey walking around in the bedroom. "That's when he collapsed," Heaslip said. Mom Judy Haim called 911 at 12:53 a.m. The "Lost Boys" star was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital at 2:15 a.m. "She is very, very upset. They were extremely close," Heaslip said, adding that Haim was helping her battle breast cancer. "He supported her all the way through the chemo and radiation. He surprised her with a really nice wig. He really took good care of her," the agent said. "He was a good boy," the grieving mom told RadarOnline. "I'm devastated by his death." Investigators suspect an accidental drug overdose, but the official cause is pending a toxicology exam, a coroner spokesman said. "We found four of his prescriptions with meds in them. No illicit drugs were located," the spokesman said.The Canadian-born actor was the breakout star of the 1986 movie "Lucas" but was known more recently for the A&E reality show "The Two Coreys" about his friendship with fellow former teen idol Corey Feldman.The show was cancelled during its second season. Feldman reportedly refused to continue working with Haim until he sought help for his drug problem."This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend," Feldman wrote on his blog.In a 2007 interview with Britain's The Sun newspaper, Haim talked about his demons."I started on the downers, which were a hell of Continue Reading

‘Lost Boys’ actor Corey Haim was staging comeback after years battling drug addiction

After years of battling a drug addiction, Corey Haim was trying to stage a comeback. The '80s teen actor who made it big with his performances in "Lucas" and "The Lost Boys" was trying to shake his bad boy image. In recent years, he was best known for his rocky relationship with longtime co-star, Corey Feldman. The "frenemies" starred in the A&E reality show, "The Two Coreys" and viewers saw first-hand just how much drugs had mess up the 38-year-old actor's life. The show was cancelled during its second season amid reports that Feldman refused to work with Haim until he quit drugs. Haim, though, was never quite able to do that. He was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. Wednesday after collapsing at his mother's Los Angeles apartment of an apparent drug overdose. According to friends and family, Haim was trying to get his life back on track. In 2008, Haim took out a full page ad in Variety magazine, hoping to convince Hollywood he was ready to work again. "This is not a stunt. I'm back. I'm ready to work. I'm ready to make amends," the ad said. He was supposed to start shooting "SAD" in Toronto this spring, said the film's producer Tim Vogel. The movie, ironically, was about prescription drug abuse."I was told that Corey was really excited about 'SAD' and looking forward to shooting it. I was really convinced that he could have made this film wonderful," Vogel wrote on Haim's page."'SAD' was something that he could 'relate to' given his past experiences with drug abuse," Vogel said."He really would have been perfect for the film. Corey had been battling drug additions for most of his life. It looks like he had them whipped this past year and was excited about all the new work coming his way."Vogel said Haim also expressed interest in doing a romantic comedy called, "The Vegetarian Hunter.""He was interested in playing the lead role," he said. Haim also just finished filming a thriller called "American Sunset.""We Continue Reading

Former ‘Lost Boy’ leads U.S. team as Beijing welcomes the world to China

BEIJING - The biggest sporting spectacle in history kicked off in the biggest nation on Earth Friday night, a three-hour coming-out party played out before 91,000 people, four billion TV viewers and one Lost Boy of Sudan."I don't even have words to describe it," Lopez Lomong said. "I am so happy to be here and to show the world that I am here." On a steamy night on the north edge of Beijing, a city of 17 million people and almost as many contradictions, the 23-year-old Lomong carried the United States flag in the opening of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, a parade of nearly 10,000 athletes from 204 countries that unfolded in a dazzling elliptical stadium that is encased in ribbons of steel, and most aptly nicknamed The Bird's Nest. Between blasts of fireworks and elaborately choreographed steps of some 14,000 dancers, the ceremony evoked the history and folkways of one of the world's most ancient cultures, and included a welcome banged out by 2,008 performers percussing on 2,008 drum-like instruments, bearing a message from Confucius: THE OPENING CEREMONY IN PHOTOS"Friends have come from afar, how happy we are." Nobody felt more welcome than Lomong, a 1500-meter runner whose story has been oft-told, but never gets old. He was abducted by Sudanese soldiers at age 6 while at church, taken blindfolded in a truck, and after a harrowing escape spent 10 years in a Kenyan refugee camp, eating one meal a day, playing soccer and running to fend off boredom. One day he walked five miles to spend five shillings (7 cents) to watch the 2000 Games on a black-and-white TV, taking in the spectacle of Michael Johnson, and telling himself, "I want to run fast like that guy. I want to wear that uniform." RELATED: THE 10 LOUDEST POLITICAL STATEMENTS IN OLYMPICS HISTORY A year later, as part of a relief effort to find homes for the so-called Lost Boys, the youngest victims of a long-running war, Lomong became a foster child of Rob and Barb Rogers. His new home was in the Continue Reading

Lost Boys of Texas

In the early 1970s, roughly 1 million young people per year went missing in the United States. Many were runaways who landed in communes, or carved out new lives and became strangers to their families. Most eventually wandered back home. Twenty-seven of them ended up as corpses in makeshift graves all around Texas, victims of Dean Arnold Corll, the worst mass murderer the nation had ever seen. At the time investigators doubted that they'd ever name all the victims. "There is a real possibility some of the bodies will never be identified," Dr. Joseph Jachimczyk, chief medical examiner for Harris County, said on Aug. 11, 1973. He made his grim prediction just three days after a frantic call had brought police to Corll's modest home in the Houston suburb of Pasadena, Tex. Two young men, Elmer Wayne Henley, 17, and Timothy Kerley, 20, and a girl, Rhonda Williams, 15, were standing out front. Henley, a skinny 6-foot-tall high school dropout, led police inside, where they found Corll, dead with six bullets in him. The teenager freely admitted to pulling the trigger. "He had a lust for blood," Henley told police. "It was either him or me right then." Outward appearances Corll, 33, was known in his community as a polite, quiet, neat bachelor. Currently working as an electrician, he was often called the "candy man," because he once ran a sweets shop and freely gave treats to kids throughout the neighborhood. He seemed to have a way with teenage boys, especially troubled ones. Corll could speak their language, play their games and he easily earned their trust. But, according to Henley, it was all a façade, a mask that hid the real Dean Corll, a sadistic murderer who had been luring boys to their deaths for years. Henley knew this for sure, he told police, because he and another youth, David Brooks, 18, had been there all the time, helping Corll hold out the candy. Corll paid them $5 to $10 each for victims. It would have been Continue Reading

Lost Boys hold nabe in terror

Valerie Langford still gets chills when she tells the story. On a sunny afternoon last October, her 13-year-old son left Junior High School 231 in Springfield Gardens and decided the weather was too nice to wait for the bus. The eighth-grader shrugged off Langford's warnings about a violent gang of teens - reputed members of the Lost Boys - and started on a 40-minute walk home. It turned out, she told the Daily News, to be a bad idea. Langford said her son, whose name the Daily News is withholding for fear of reprisal, was jumped in an adjacent park by eight Lost Boys members, who punched and kicked him repeatedly before a school custodian saw what was happening and intervened. The boy had a swollen lip, a bruised back and two loose front teeth, and has since transferred out of the school. But locals this week said the problems at JHS 231 remain, with students organizing themselves to plan violence. "You'll see them beat people; you'll see them drag people," said a Q77 bus driver who would not give his name. "They're just a group of wild animals as far as I'm concerned." JHS 231 Principal Emmanuel Lubin reported no gangs at the school, and said school officials are cooperating with local police to prevent them from forming. "If [students] are idle, they get into trouble, so we try to get them involved in activities in sports and arts after school," Lubin said. Education Department spokeswoman Dina Paul Parks added that she receives every incident report filed throughout the city, and that she had never heard of problems at JHS 231. But according to Langford, the Lost Boys exhibit every aspect of an organized gang, down to headbands emblazoned with a pirate flag that they wear. And concerned local merchants told The News that after classes are dismissed, groups of youths from the junior high - as well as from Springfield Gardens High School - typically head to their businesses. At the McDonald's on S. Conduit Ave., where the reputed gangs Continue Reading