London man who beheaded 82-year-old grandma because he believed she was Adolf Hitler not guilty by reason of insanity

A British man who beheaded his 82-year-old neighbor in her London garden because he believed she was an incarnation of Adolf Hitler is not guilty by reason of insanity, a jury ruled. Nicholas Salvador will be detained indefinitely in a psychiatric hospital after both prosecution and defense argued he was mentally ill. The 25-year-old decapitated Palmira Silva in September during a nightmare rampage through the North London neighborhood of Edmonton. He also beheaded two cats, punched through one backyard to the next with a machete and came just feet away from children playing before their mother rushed them inside, police video from the chase showed. Psychiatrists testified that Salvador believed Silva was an evil supernatural being — either Adolf Hitler back from the dead or a demon disguised as an elderly woman. He suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. Salvador (l.) believed Silva was either a demon or Adolf Hitler back from the dead when he killed her last year. Salvador was living just three doors down from Silva when he lost his job in early September, BBC News reported. On Sept. 4, he left his home with a machete and long wooden stick, police said. He hopped hedges and cut through fences to pass through his neighbors' yards, video showed. On his way to Silva's garden, he beheaded two house cats. When he got to her yard, the warm and trusting woman approached him, undeterred by the knife he was carrying. He stabbed her and severed her head from her body, police said. At one point, he came within yards of a group of children playing in a backyard. Their mother pushed them into the house just as he was jumping over the fence, police said. "We genuinely thought he would kill those children and we were filled with utter terror," Inspector Doug Skinner testified. At another point he approached a car while brandishing his knife. Continue Reading

SEE IT: Drunken crowd attacks London synagogue, shouts ‘kill the Jews’ (WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE)

A drunken horde burst into a London synagogue Sunday and shouted “kill the Jews” as they attacked worshipers inside, police said. The group of about 20 men and women beat up a man outside of the Stamford Hill synagogue about 1 a.m. Sunday and forced their way inside the building when their victim ran in for shelter, the Telegraph reported. Video showed the vicious throng smash windows and doors as they screamed, “We will kill you all.” The assailants punched at least one man in the face as the worshipers — a group of young people celebrating the end of the Sabbath — protected themselves with chairs and were able to beat the brutes back, police said. The injured man was treated at the scene. The rowdy bunch had been at a house party earlier in the evening and were drunk when they stormed the synagogue, London’s Metropolitan Police said. Six people in the mob were arrested for disorderly conduct and assault. Police are working to identify the other attackers. “The incident is being treated as an anti-Semitic incident, due to remarks made by one of the group. However there is nothing to suggest that it was a planned or targeted attack,” the Scotland Yard said in a statement. Officers don’t think the attack was fueled by extremism. Rather, it was “the completely unacceptable actions of a drunken group,” police said. Police have increased security in the area around the synagogue as detectives investigate the attack. ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH VIDEO HERE. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

First Lady Michelle Obama meets with London schoolgirls during education tour of Britain

Schoolgirls in east London greeted U.S. first lady Michelle Obama with song, interpretive dance and squeals of joy Tuesday as she traveled to the British capital to promote education for girls. Girls in maroon uniforms waved American flags to warmly welcome Obama at the Mulberry School for Girls to promote the “Let Girls Learn” initiative, launched in March. Visibly moved, she told the girls — many of whom come from working-class backgrounds — that she understood the struggles they faced and that she wanted them to succeed. “The world needs more girls like you growing up to lead our parliaments and our board rooms and our courtrooms and our universities,” she said. “We need you.” Obama’s visit highlights that education for girls is but a distant dream in much of the world. She cited unaffordable school fees, early and forced marriages and pregnancies, and also societal beliefs that girls are simply less worthy as just some of the factors holding girls back. Obama has urged world leaders to “throw the school gates open to girls everywhere,” arguing that it is a heartbreaking injustice to have 62 million girls out of school. She appealed for action, declaring that it is a security, economic and health issue. “Every time I meet these girls on my travels abroad, I am blown away by their passion, intelligence and hunger to learn — and I cannot help but see my daughters in them,” Obama wrote in an op-ed in the Financial Times. “Like my own girls, each of these young women has the spark of something extraordinary inside. The only difference is that my girls have had the opportunity to develop their promise.” The U.S. and Britain announced plans to expand their commitment to the issue, partnering to support girls’ education in countries affected by crisis such as Sierra Leone, Liberia and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Continue Reading

Kate Middleton to visit ‘Downton Abbey’ studio in London

"Downton Abbey" is getting a special royal visitor. Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton is scheduled to make an official visit March 12 to Ealing Studios in London, where scenes are shot for the popular period show, Kensington Palace announced Thursday. The pregnant Middleton will meet and greet several cast and crew members during her 90-minute tour. Middleton is making one of her final public appearances before becoming a mom again, "to celebrate the success of the award-winning production," the Palace said via The Telegraph. Prince George's mom will also watch a scene play out in the servants' quarters. “Downton" star Allen Leech revealed in a 2013 interview with Andy Cohen that Middleton and her husband Prince William were fans of the series. "I was actually at an event last week with Prince William, now the Duke of Cambridge," Leech said on "Watch What Happens Live." "I met him last week, shook his hand. He actually said, 'I'm a big fan of the show — only now that my wife's had a baby.' "Obviously he's now got a lot of downtime, so (Kate's) gone, 'I'm watching this and you're watching it with me.'" Continue Reading

Bradley Cooper will head from London to NYC for the Tony Awards; Kendall Jenner lands a Hollywood billboard

Bradley Cooper will be starring in the London run of “The Elephant Man” by the time the Tony Awards air June 7. But Cooper and his co-stars and fellow Tony nominees Patricia Clarkson and Alessandro Nivola will be at Radio City for Broadway’s top honor. “We’re all flying back together — going to go together and fly back together,” Nivola tells [email protected] Cooper, also nominated for an Oscar this year, got rave reviews for his Broadway run. KATE EXPECTATIONS With a new little royal on the way any minute, Kate Middleton headed out in her Range Rover about to pop. Prince William’s better half is over nine months pregnant and was heading out of Buckingham Palace with Prince George riding in the backseat with his nanny. KENDALL GETS ON BOARD Kendall Jenner is not letting anything get between her and her new Calvin Klein campaign. “This will be my first billboard on Sunset (Blvd.), which I’m ecstatic about. It’s really humbling and, honestly, I am a pretty shy person, but being part of the Calvin campaign and seeing myself up there will be a dream come true,” the 19-year-old model told the latest issue of V Magazine, on newsstands May 7. “I might have to eat every night at the Chateau Marmont with that hanging over my shoulder.” BIG FIGHT HAS REAL BEEF If Floyd Mayweather wins Saturday’s fight with Manny Pacquiao, he gets free steaks for life. Old Homestead Steakhouse owners Greg and Marc Sherry will make the kingly reward to match what Gerry’s Grill, a Filipino-Asian eatery in California, is promising Pacquiao. As a side bet, if Pacquiao wins, the Sherrys will send Old Homestead’s famous porterhouse, sirloin and rib steaks to Gerry’s Grill — but the Meatpacking District eatery isn’t worried. “Gerry’s Grill is going down. They’re a Left Coast lightweight,” Greg Continue Reading

Google opens its first retail store in London, sells Android and Chrome OS products

Google is joining Apple and Microsoft in the retail space by opening its very first Google shop in London. The Google shop, which will be located inside Currys PC World, will sell a range of Android and Chrome OS products. The shop will also offer Chromecasts to customers to teach them how all Google devices work together. "With the Google shop, we want to offer people a place where they can play, experiment and learn about all of what Google has to offer; from an incredible range of devices to a totally-connected seamless online life," said James Elias, marketing director of Google UK, in a press release. The Google shop will also feature various tech installations that customers can interact with. The shop will have a screen installation called "Portal" that lets users "fly" though any part of the planet by using Google Earth. A Doodle Wall will let store guests use digital spray cans to paint their own rendition of the Google logo and share it on social media. Google is also planning to host regular tech classes and events for the public. The classes would work similar to those offered at the Apple Store where customers can walk in and learn how to set up their Cloud storage or learn all their phone shortcuts. Classes will not be limited to adults. Google will host Virtual Space Camps to teach children the basics of coding and it'll also invent teachers to open house events so they can take advantage of free educational tools. "We are delighted to partner with Google in bringing a world first retail experience to one of our stores. This will be a new and innovative way for customers to engage in store, interacting with the immersive technology as well as having fun while learning," said Ainsley Sykes, senior project manager for Currys PC World, in a press release. Twitter:@MrAlexAlba Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

100 billion barrels worth of oil found near Gatwick Airport in London: British oil producer

A small British oil producer said it has discovered a possible world class oil resource in the countryside to the south of London that could contain billions of barrels of oil. The London-listed oil explorer UK Oil & Gas Investments said on Thursday up to 100 billion barrels worth of oil could lie below the green fields around Gatwick Airport, however it cautioned that only a fraction of that could be recovered. The news sent shares in the small firm up 200 percent and prompted the national press to dub the area "Britain's Dallas." Oil industry analysts struck a note of caution however. "We think we've found a very significant discovery here, probably the largest [onshore in the UK] in the last 30 years, and we think it has national significance," UKOG Chief Executive Stephen Sanderson told the BBC. Britain has for decades relied on the North Sea for its oil needs, particularly during the 1980s when Margaret Thatcher's government reaped the rewards of booming output and high prices. But output there has started to fade since the turn of the century. UKOG's oil find is located in Britain's southern Weald Basin, a largely rural area near the airport which lies adjacent to Europe's largest onshore oil field, located at Wytch Farm. A government-commissioned report said last year the Weald Basin also holds 8.57 billion barrels of shale oil, a type of oil trapped in underground rock which is different to the oil explored for by UKOG. UKOG said in a statement to the stock exchange that an independent report estimated some 158 million barrels per square mile could be lying below its Horse Hill-1 well just north of Britain's second-largest airport, much more than first thought. Of the overall forecast 100 billion barrels, Sanderson said he believed between 5 and 15 percent could be recovered, meaning that by 2030 the Weald area could contribute between 10 and 30 percent of the country's oil needs, he said. Continue Reading

Sierra Leone sprinter Jimmy Thoronka, who lost entire family to Ebola, now homeless on streets of London

A top sprinter from Sierra Leone is now broke, homeless and living illegally on the streets of London. Jimmy Thoronka, 20, has struggled to survive with little to his name since August, when he competed in the 100-meter relay race at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, The Guardian reported. The speedster vanished after the games, when he learned his entire family had been wiped out by Ebola and, later, had his passport and money stolen. Thoronoka’s visa expired in September and with no way to get back to Africa, he’s spent the cold winter destitute and distraught. “Mostly, I sleep at the park,” he told The Guardian. “Sleeping in the park, sleeping on the bus, moving around the bus up and down … So I’ll be doing that until daybreak.” Exercise was once a way for Thoronka to compete, to show off his stuff. Now, it’s a way for him to keep warm. Thoronka now runs to ward off the London cold, and uses a park gym to stay in shape with the hopes of returning to competition on the world stage. “I really want to be a star, a real athlete, a good athlete, one of the best stars in the world, or at least in my country,” he told the newspaper. “So I have that dream, that even in the situation I’m in, and the constraints that I face, I just keep saying to myself, ‘OK, I have to keep training, I have to keep training.’” Shortly after The Guardian found the missing athlete, he was arrested by London police on a charge of overstaying his visa. He was released Sunday night and will not be deported to Sierra Leone, where his hometown was badly hit by Ebola and remains under quarantine. “I am so happy that I am free again,” he told The Guardian on Sunday. “At first I was told that they were going to send me back to Sierra Leone and I cried and cried. I was very scared.” Thoronka’s story has Continue Reading

Former NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s friends say he is ‘considering’ 2016 run for London mayor: report

Ello, ello, Mayor Bloomy. A group of British Conservatives have their fingers crossed that they can convince former-New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg to cross the pond — and run for mayor of London. The Sunday Times of London reported that a few English friends of the 73-year-old believe he is “considering” running in 2016 to replace current London mayor Boris Johnson. But Bloomberg’s camp shot down the idea of a cross-Atlantic campaign. “Run for Mayor of London? Flattered, but rule it out,” a Bloomberg spokesman tweeted — adding that Hizzoner loves the Big Apple and it would be too hard to succeed Johnson. While Bloomberg’s two daughters and ex-wife Susan Brown are all British citizens, the former three-term mayor is not, making him ineligible for the post. That hasn’t dissuaded his fans from floating the idea of the Boston-born billionaire taking the reigns of the city of 8.5 million Brits. Bloomberg has made London a second-home of sorts and was bestowed with an honorary knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II in 2014 for his philanthropic work in the UK. Should he decide to run, Bloomberg could find a way around the laws, much as he did when he overturned term-limits in the city to run for a third term. Those with means can fast-track applications for British residency by investing at least $15 million in the United Kingdom. “It would be an outstanding coup for London if Mike Bloomberg could be persuaded to run for mayor right here,” Steve Hilton, an advisor to British Prime Minister David Cameron, told The Times. “His sort of pragmatic, issue-solving leadership is precisely what London requirements.” Johnson, born in New York to British parents, has been mayor of London since 2008. Continue Reading

SEE IT: London diamond district thieves drill through concrete wall, trash vault in Easter weekend heist

The savvy thieves behind London’s diamond district heist burrowed through a concrete wall to get to their loot and left behind a trashed vault littered with debris, newly released photos show. A team of burglars broke into Hatton Garden Safe Deposit over Easter weekend and emptied dozens of boxes after disarming the company’s high-tech security system, the Scotland Yard reported. Employees discovered the heist shop on April 7 when they returned to work after a long holiday weekend. New photos show the post-raid wreckage: The thieves left behind a mess of power tools and empty boxes. The wrecked vault was covered in a layer of dust after the raiders drilled through a thick concrete wall to get inside. Police said the thieves broke into the businesses through a lift after they disabled a security system, the Telegraph reported. The bunch then used an angle grinder and concrete drills to bore holes into the vault. Once inside, the thieves emptied 72 safety deposit boxes, which contained jewels and other valuables. It’s not clear how much their haul was worth. Police have not released any possible suspects and are still hunting for the diamond raiders. Hatton Garden is home to London's diamond trade and to other types of gem specialists. With News Wire Services Join the Conversation: Continue Reading