Fans rollin’ with ‘rock star’ Archbishop Timothy Dolan, taking red hat tour to Vatican

Here's proof Archbishop Timothy Dolan is a Catholic rock star — his fan club is going on the road with him. More than 500 pilgrims have plunked down $1,500 or more so they can be there when the Pope promotes Dolan to cardinal. They’ll be at the Vatican for the ceremony and Dolan’s first Mass as cardinal — and they get a little face time with His Eminence. “Cardinal-designate Dolan loves to be with the people,” said Karen Rohrecker of Peter’s Way Tours, which is handling the arrangements for the archdiocese. “His personality is infectious,” said Eleanor Martin of Queens, who is making the trip with her husband of 50 years, Kent. “If he hadn’t become a religious, he’d make a great standup comedian.” DOLAN 'MOLTO NERVOSO' ABOUT SPEAKING ITALIAN EGAN TO DOLAN: HOLD ON TO YOUR RED HAT! DOLAN'S KID BROTHER GETS SET FOR TRIP TO ROME Aviation lawyer Frank Chiarchiaro and his wife, Judy, a retired teacher, will be showing their colors in Rome — the uniforms of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, a lay Catholic organization around since the Crusades. “I find him to be extremely approachable, a brilliant man,” Frank, 66, said of Dolan. “What you see in him in public is what you get in private.” Judy, 68, said Dolan reminds her of the larger-than-life Pope John Paul II, whom she met in 1991. “You talk to him and he makes you feel you’re his best friend,” she said. “John Paul had a great personality, but definitely not as loud and vivacious as Dolan.” The couple suspected Dolan soon would be collecting a red hat and began preparing for the pilgrimage months ago. The journey is extra special because the grand master of their order, former Baltimore archbishop and Bronx native Edwin O’Brien, is also being made a cardinal. The tour group includes 40 members Continue Reading

Alec Baldwin’s Emmy bit nixed on Fox after ’30 Rock’ star’s joke about News Corp. hacking scandal

Alec Baldwin wasn't laughing when Fox cut his pre-taped crack poking fun at boss Rupert Murdoch from Sunday night's Emmy Awards.The "30 Rock" star, 53, told the network to just pull the plug on the whole thing, sources said."They edited out a line and he asked them to not air the segment," a Baldwin pal confirmed to the News. "He didn't want to do something that had been edited afterwards because if it's comedy and you take out a key line it just doesn't work."The crack poked fun at Fox's parent company News Corp.'s phone-hacking scandal.In the bit, Baldwin is seen talking on the phone and then stops the conversation and calls out Murdoch by name, saying he can hear him listening in.Baldwin tweeted that he thought News Corp. was being a bit too sensitive."Fox did kill my NewsCorp hacking joke. Which sucks bc I think it would have made them look better. A little," he wrote.Baldwin's rep declined to comment.After Baldwin backed out, Fox re-taped the bit with "Star Trek" legend Leonard Nimoy, a source said. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

March Madness NCAA Tournament: Matt Dickey, J.P. Primm lift UNC Asheville over Arkansas-Little Rock

DAYTON, Ohio - Matt Dickey and North Carolina-Asheville injected a little customary March drama into the NCAA's new-look tournament. Dickey led a late run that brought overtime, and J.P. Primm hit five free throws and had a decisive steal in the closing seconds Tuesday night, sending UNC Asheville to an 81-77 victory over Arkansas-Little Rock in a dramatic "First Four" opener. "We don't have any quit in this team," UNC Asheville coach Eddie Biedenbach said. The Bulldogs (20-13) will play Pittsburgh, the top seed in the Southeast, on Thursday in Washington, D.C. UNC Asheville pulled it out with a tournament-worthy performance by its best player. The Bulldogs led for only 51 seconds in regulation, before Dickey asserted himself. He scored 14 of the Bulldogs' last 18 points in regulation, including a 3 with 10.5 seconds to go that tied it. "I hit one in the corner and it was a good time for it to fall," Dickey said. Primm and Dickey had 22 points apiece. Alex Garcia-Mendoza matched his career high with 21 points for Arkansas-Little Rock (19-17). The Trojans played overtime without Solomon Bozeman, the Sun Belt's player of the year who fouled out in the final minute of regulation. He finished with 18 points. Each year, the tournament turns into a big stage looking for a star. Dickey became the first to take the spotlight. The shooting guard asserted himself with nine minutes left, leading the late surge that culminated in his 3-pointer from the left corner. Matt Mouzy missed a 3 at the buzzer, sending it to overtime. There were five lead changes in overtime, the last coming on Primm's two free throws that made it 78-77 and put the Bulldogs in position to win yet another overtime tournament game in Dayton. The Bulldogs also opened the tournament in Dayton in 2003, when they became the first Big South team to win an NCAA tournament game. They went overtime to beat Texas Southern 92-84 in a one-game play-in for the 65-team field. UNC Asheville Continue Reading

Lisa Blount, star of ‘An Officer and a Gentleman,’ found dead at age 53 in Little Rock, Arkansas

Lisa Blount, an actress and Oscar-winning filmmaker, was found dead in her home in Little Rock, Ark., on Wednesday by her mother. She was 53.According to Pulaski County Coroner Garland Camper, Blount likely died Monday. He said there were no signs of foul play.Blount, as producer, and her husband Roy McKinnon, as director and star, won Academy Awards in 2002 when "The Accountant" was named best live-action short film.Blount received a Golden Globe nomination for her supporting turn as the best friend of Debra Winger's character in "An Officer and a Gentleman." Her other credits included "Prince of Darkness" and "Great Balls of Fire!"Blount recently filmed the pilot for FX's "Outlaw Country." A native of Arkansas, she and McKinnon moved to Little Rock in 2005. Lisa Blount shortly before she died. (Merritt/Getty) Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

‘Rock Star’ reality show veteran Ryan Star breaks down the ‘American Idol’ rules twist

"American Idol" is all about seizing the moment – and for this season's singers that philosophy comes with a new twist. Last week the show introduced a bend in the rules: the "judge's save, which will allow Simon Cowell and the gang to overrule America's vote just once to keep an ousted singer on the show. But they have to sing for their supper, or in this case – their slot in the competition. The contenders always sing before they're sent packing on the results show, but instead of a farewell anthem, that song is now an "Idol" hopeful's last chance at dodging the ax. That moment – being asked to sing one more time and knowing you're almost gone – is something no "Idol" contender had encountered before Jorge Nunez and Jasmine Murray were voted off the show last week. Musician Ryan Star, on the other hand, knows all about it. Star is currently touring as the opening act for "American Idol" winner David Cook, but the Long Island singer and former Stage frontman got his first big solo break in 2006 on the CBS reality show "Rock Star: Supernova." That show aimed to find a new lead singer for a band comprised of Motley Crüe drummer Tommy Lee, ex-Metallica bassist Jason Newsted and former Guns n' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke. And it was standard for the three singers who won the least votes to "sing for their lives." Star's second attempt to stave off elimination – a Week 9 cover of the Who's "Baba O'Riley" – did him in, but he's rebounded with this tour and several songs that have been used for TV programs, including "Brand New Day," theme to "Idol" lead-in "Lie to Me." Star recently took some time out from his travels with Cook to speak with the Daily News about "singing for your life." One of the things you had to do that David didn't when he was on "Idol" was to sing for the judges so they can "save" somebody. What is it like to sing – knowing you're that close to going home – and to try to convince these people to Continue Reading

Get ready for Barack Obama, rock star

Barack Obama has a little less than 10 weeks to make himself look big enough to be America's President, and since that's not going to happen unless he looks big on television, the supersizing is scheduled to start Thursday night with his acceptance speech at Invesco Field. In a way, a 76,000-seat stadium might seem like an odd place for a headliner to make himself look big, since the sheer size of the place has exactly the opposite effect. From anywhere past the first 10 rows, it makes the guy on stage look like a tiny, distant action figure. But as every rock fan knows, the effect of that cavernous size is that once the show starts, you barely even look at the stage. You watch on the monitors that are, in effect, giant TV screens. Bingo. By staging his showcase speech in a football stadium, Obama hoped to create the sense of a unique, historic, oversized event while looking exactly the same to TV viewers as if he were accepting the nomination at their kitchen tables. COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE DNCThe importance of television imagery to Presidential campaigns has been clear since Richard Nixon's 5 o'clock shadow made him look swarthy during his 1960 television debates with John F. Kennedy. Yet it's still not an exact science, which is why Republicans this week have been suggesting last night's Invesco event will make television audiences see Obama as a man with a messiah complex, or at least a rock-star fantasy. Either of which, Republicans say, would distance him from the everyday Americans whose votes he needs to become President. If Republicans can sell that notion, Invesco will have backfired. So Obama's people have gambled, in a sense, that the effect will be the opposite, that this will show he's a man who can inspire a stadium full of people and by extension, a nation full of people. In other words, it will make him look Presidential, which must happen if he's to have any chance of winning in November. John McCain already Continue Reading

Locals to rock ‘Star’ hunt. Vie on show for band gig

When Jill Gioia pops up as a contestant on CBS' "Rock Star" next week, a lot of local viewers are going to do a double take. The same thing will happen with Ryan Star. That's because both musicians are regulars on the local club scene who are now vying for national stardom on the new reality show, which will select an unknown lead singer to join a new band that includes people who've been in such major groups as Metallica, Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses. Both Star and Gioia are excited about the possibility of leaping to the big time from local stages. Star recently opened for Corinne Bailey Rae at the Bowery Ballroom. And Gioia has sung the national anthem multiple times at Madison Square Garden. "I really believe TV is the new way," said Star, 28. "I just want to sing," said Gioia, 33. "I just want to get out there." Star and Gioia are among the contestants on "Rock Star," which was created by Mark Burnett. Last summer, the first edition of the show chose JD Fortune to become the new singer for INXS, taking the place of the late Michael Hutchence. This season, the goal is to find a singer for a new band, Supernova, featuring Tommy Lee of Motley Crue, Jason Newsted of Metallica and Gilby Clarke of Guns N' Roses. The show gets underway July 5, with the winner being crowned in late September. Immediately, the winner goes into the recording studio and then on tour with Supernova. "It's just such a great opportunity," said Gioia, who can be heard singing background to Kelly Clarkson on a Ford TV commercial. "I feel it's going to make such a difference in my career. It's just a blessing somebody would give me this opportunity." Before getting the call saying he was on the show, Star had a pretty good run as an independent artist. He was getting interest from record labels, but had planned to release his own live album. "Rock Star" has changed all that. Star has been performing since he was 13 - he played at CBGB at 15 - and has been chasing Continue Reading

Jacoby Ellsbury feels ‘better’ as Alex Rodriguez calls Yankees center fielder a ‘rock star’

TAMPA — The clock is ticking for Jacoby Ellsbury. It’s been a week since the Yankees’ center fielder was diagnosed with a mild oblique strain, and while there are still nearly two weeks left until the Bombers open the season, it’s unclear when Ellsbury will resume baseball activities. “All I can tell is just how I feel each and every day, but until I swing a bat, until I throw, until I do really explosive stuff, that will be the real test,” Ellsbury said. “But it does feel better each and every day.” While the Yankees — at least a few of them, anyway — were on the other side of the state for a game against the Nationals, Ellsbury lifted weights during a light workout and received treatment at Steinbrenner Field on Monday. This marks the second straight spring that Ellsbury has been hampered by an injury in mid-March, having missed nearly two weeks with a calf strain last year. He was able to return for Opening Day, and although he’s still at least a few days away from playing again, Ellsbury isn’t concerned about this issue keeping him out of the lineup April 6 against the Blue Jays. “I still feel good about that timetable,” Ellsbury said. “Obviously I’ll talk to Joe (Girardi) when he gets back (Tuesday), but as of right now, we’re heading in the right direction.” VIDEO: JOSE PIRELA SUFFERS CONCUSSION AFTER CRASHING INTO WALL Ellsbury brought a long injury history with him from Boston, landing on the disabled list four times between 2010 and 2012. He had three separate stints on the DL with fractured ribs in 2010, then missed three months in 2012 with a shoulder issue. Those injury issues didn’t surface during his first season in pinstripes, as Ellsbury led the Yankees with 149 games played. He missed only four of the first 153 games before sitting out the final nine games of the season with an ankle injury. Continue Reading

With Philippines-ordered ‘weed bond,’ One Direction follows long line of rock stars with drug troubles overseas

Drug troubles abroad? For many rock stars who came before One Direction, it was the story of their lives. Fresh off the news that Philippines officials asked 1D's Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson to post $5,000 drug bonds before a planned concert in Manila this weekend, the Daily News had compiled a list of musicians and artists who blazed a trail of bad boy behavior overseas. As it turns out, though, Malik, 22, will avoid cutting the insurance policy check to Filipino immigrations officials, as the boy band's publicist announced Thursday he has left the tour due to stress issues. While fans are pining for his return, here are some notable drug busts involving rock stars abroad: Keith Richards, Toronto 1977 Richards was nabbed in a high-profile heroin bust at the Harbour Castle Hilton hotel in Toronto in February, 1977, an incident that put his future with The Rolling Stones in jeopardy. The then-33-year-old rocker was charged with possession with the intention of trafficking and was faced with a sentence of seven years to life behind bars. Canadian officials swiped Richards' passport, forcing him to stay put in Canada for more than a month. He was eventually allowed to return to the U.S. in April, when he checked into drug rehab. The charges were later bumped down to possession, to which he pleaded guilty in October 1978. During sentencing, the local judge ordered Richards to play a benefit concert for the blind — reportedly one of the judge's pet causes — and Richards obliged with a May 1979 date at the Oshawa Civic Auditorium with the New Barbarians, his side project with Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood. In an interview years later, Richards credited the arrest with helping him kick heroin. "That was the place where I had to say, "It's time to change gears, baby — do a quick 180," he said. Paul McCartney, Japan 1980 Carry that Continue Reading

Damian Lewis on playing Henry VIII in PBS’ ‘Wolf Hall’: He ‘was a Renaissance rock star’

Four hundred and sixty-eight years after his death, Henry VIII remains hard to beat as the most famous British king ever. That doesn’t mean, says Damian Lewis, that we really get him - despite the widespread and not inaccurate agreement that he ate a little too much saturated fat and he discarded wives the way teenage girls discard yesterday’s fashion styles. Lewis plays Henry VIII in “Wolf Hall,” the six-hour BBC Two adaptation of the best-selling novel by Hilary Mantel and its companion work, “Bring Up the Bodies.” “Wolf Hall” premieres April 5 on PBS in the States and runs Sundays through May 10. “Henry VIII was a Renaissance rock star,” says Lewis. “But he was also a very accomplished, intelligent man. He loved history, archery, dancing. He was an architect. He spoke several different languages. “I think we’ll show people a better-rounded Henry than they may think they know.” Henry will also have a more filled-out colleague in Thomas Cromwell, who is the main character in the show and who functioned as the rough 16th century equivalent of Henry VIII’s chief of staff. He was the fixer, the man who got things done — under the subtle but significant pressure of knowing he could be exiled or worse if he failed. Played by Mark Rylance, Cromwell is a brilliant enigma, a lawyer who understands the intricate and ultrahigh-stakes game of chess that was palace politics. “Cromwell was described as one who looks like a wall,” says Rylance. “People never knew what he was thinking. He was a man who folded his arms.” Rylance plays him accordingly, with a less-is-more approach that reflects Cromwell’s technique for serving a decent, but impulsive and unforgiving ruler. “I think Cromwell wanted to do good,” says Rylance. “But he was surrounded by dangerous people, so Continue Reading