Food Network’s Guy Fieri films in Old Town Fort Collins

Guy Fieri, host of the Food Network TV show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives," drew a crowd while filming at The Lodge Sasquatch Kitchen in Old Town on Thursday.The Lodge had a sign on its door that it would be closed Thursday, and Fieri's vintage Chevrolet Camaro was parked out front.By mid-afternoon, a small crowd had gathered outside The Lodge to watch Fieri film his opening Triple-D segment by the red convertible.Fieri had visited Restaurant 415 earlier in the day.Lodge co-owners Aaron May and Jared Allen, a Chicago Bears defensive end, stood with Fieri and a small cohort to pose for pictures.A representative from Triple D would not disclose any more information about the visit to Fort Collins, saying only that a handful of locations would be considered for the final show. SEE ALSO: Reader submitted photos of Guy in Old Town. IN OTHER NEWS: 1 killed on Loveland railroad tracks IN OTHER NEWS: 2 dead in apparent murder-suicideFORT COLLINS BUSINESS:Local company to appear on 'Shark Tank' Continue Reading

Young Scottsdale chef vies for ‘Food Network Star’ title

Could Scottsdale chef Matthew Grunwald be the next Guy Fieri?At 22, Grunwald is the youngest contestant on Season 11 of "Food Network Star," the show that launched Fieri's career. RECIPE: Roasted Poblano Chili Summer TartsThere's a 25-year age difference between Grunwald and the eldest competitor. But he sees that gap as a tool — something that will help him land a TV host gig that comes with winning the show."I'm bringing something new to the network from a young person's perspective," he said, adding that his being cast "says something about the user demographic of the people who watch the network."He is one of 12 finalists who will endure weekly culinary and showbiz competitions during what's essentially an 11-week audition. The season kicks off Sunday, June 7.Grunwald is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America at Hyde Park, N.Y, and currently works the grill station at Elements at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain Resort and Spa in Paradise Valley. He recently appeared on the network's "Cutthroat Kitchen: Evilicious" tournament. He won the first competition to secure a spot on the finale, where he lost in the first round.His dream, though, was always to get on "Food Network Star.""I used it as a beacon to help make (career) decisions to get to the point that I'd be ready for 'Food Network Star,' " he said.Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis will return as judge-mentors this season. Guest judges include Duff Goldman, Sunny Anderson, Richard Blais and David Alan Grier.Details: 7 p.m. Sunday, June 7, on Food Network. Check local listings. Continue Reading

Phoenix chef advances to Food Network show finale with Guy Fieri, Robert Irvine

Phoenix chef Stephen Jones is advancing to the finale of Food Network’s “Guy's Grocery Games: Impossible.”Jones, of DeSoto Central Market in downtown Phoenix, won $10,000 in his national TV debut on Sunday, Dec. 18. He spoke often about his cause: Helping the "astounding" number of homeless people in Phoenix.“Guy's Grocery Games: Impossible” is a special four-part tournament of Guy Fieri’s “Triple G," as the show is known. The twist: The winners of each episode match up against Robert Irvine, known as Mr. Impossible, for a chance to win more cash. RELATED: Tent City Jail propels former inmate to 'Chopped' cooking fame | Stephen Jones weighs in on best store-bought pizza | 40 Phoenix area restaurants that have been featured on national TVBy beating two other contestants, Jones automatically won $10,000 and a spot in the finale. As the last chef standing, he hoped to beat Irvine with his casserole dish, but the British celebrity chef narrowly outcooked Jones, winning the maximum $10,000 for his charity by running the aisles of the set (a grocery store) in a shopping spree.The winners of the first three episodes compete to take Irvine again in the finale, airing Sunday, Dec. 25. The last chef standing wins another $10,000 and a shot at another $10,000 in the shopping spree if they beat Irvine.Jones, 37, is no stranger to cooking under pressure. He has been behind the line at Nobu Restaurant, Tarbell's Restaurant, The Boulders and Hotel Palomar. He’s currently executive chef at The Larder + The Delta at DeSoto and oversees the food hall's culinary operations.He was laid back about cooking and competing in front of a national audience. He said he was happy with his performance. "I kept everything clean and let the food speak for itself.”He described the Food Network kitchens Continue Reading

Scottsdale chef tries for ‘Food Network Star’ again

Perhaps the third time is the charm for Scottsdale chef Matthew Grunwald, who is competing on "Food Network Star: Comeback Kitchen.” The new show debuts Sunday, May 8.Last year, Grunwald competed on two Food Network shows: "Cutthroat Kitchen: Evilicious" and Season 11 of "Food Network Star." He was a finalist in both.On "Comeback Kitchen," seven former contestants from various "Food Network Star" seasons will get a second shot at TV stardom. In the spirit of redemption, the first challenge tasks competitors with revisiting the dish that got them eliminated.Valerie Bertinelli and Tyler Florence host the three-episode series. The winner of "Comeback Kitchen" will earn a place on the 12th season of “Food Network Star,” which starts on Sunday, May 22.Grunwald's challengers are: Martita Jara (Season 8); Brianna Jenkins (Season 6); Chris Kyler (Season 10); Michele Ragussis (Season 8) and Dominick Tesoriero (Season 11).Details: "Food Network Star: Comeback Kitchen,” first of three episodes airs at 8 p.m. Sunday, May 8, on Food Network. Check local listings. Continue Reading

Phoenix chef wins $30,000 on Guy Fieri’s Food Network competition

The impossible just became possible for Stephen Jones.The Phoenix chef won the finale of Food Network’s “Guy's Grocery Games: Impossible," racking up $30,000 in winnings between two rounds of the competition. Jones won the first $10,000 on the episode that aired Dec. 18, plus another $20,000 on the Dec. 25 episode.Jones, executive chef at The Larder + The Delta at DeSoto Central Market in downtown Phoenix, told The Republic that he plans to donate some of the money toward helping the homeless. During the show, he talked often about his cause."I still haven't decided on which charity yet," the 37-year-old said. "I can keep the money all for myself, but I was raised a little differently. If you get success, you give success. Any little bit helps, and anything I can do the help the (homeless) epidemic in downtown Phoenix right now."The four-part competition was a special edition of "Guy's Grocery Games," hosted by celebrity chef Guy Fieri. British chef Robert Irvine, host of Food Network's "Restaurant: Impossible," came onto the show as judge and competitor. The show was filmed back in March, so Jones has had to stay mum on the outcome for a while. He watched the finale over the Christmas weekend with family and friends.RELATED:  Celeb chef Scott Conant hiring 150 for Phoenix restaurant | Phoenix-area restaurants that have been on national TV | Tent City Jail propels former inmate to 'Chopped' cooking fame | Celeb chefs headline azcentral food and wine experience 2016 | Scottsdale chef tries for 'Food Network Star' for third time"People that were there with me couldn't wait to see how it went and were surprised when I won," Jones said. "Afterward my phone and social media blew up. It was a lot of fun to see the reactions and people's faces."The final challenge pitted Jones, Irvine and another contestant against one another. They had Continue Reading

HOTTIES IN THE KITCHEN. Food network lets you have your cheesecake & watch it, too. Those yummy TV chefs

At the Food Network, E. V. O. O. means extra-virgin olive oil. But T&A is definitely not tomatoes and artichokes. The all-nosh network has become the station where hubba-hubba hosts and chefs look, well, good enough to eat. Just ask the network's 88 million subscribers, a group that has mushroomed - or is it souffléed? - in its 13 years from 6. 5 million members in 1993. Supersize me, indeed. A portion of that tasty success can be traced to the network's emerging lineup of under-40 faces - eye candy hired to teach America to boil, baste and bake. Some are so Yum-O! (to pinch a term from the station's star, Rachael Ray) that they could easily slip into the cast of a sexy soap. Call it "Mealrose Place," where couch potatoes and at-home Iron Chefs come to turn on their tastebuds and other sensual stimuli. That said, senior vice president of programming and production Bob Tuschman pooh-poohs the notion that the network - which doesn't release individual show ratings - is all about hotties. "Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes," he says, adding that some of the most popular shows feature older chefs without PYT pouts and bods for sin. "We don't set out to make our hosts sexy. We believe that personalities, not sex appeal, sells. " Oh. Still, mangia minx Giada De Laurentiis - host of "Everyday Italian" and one of the network's "rising stars," as a spokesperson says - must believe her personality comes through best when her figure is on the menu. Even if your idea of "everyday" Italian is dialing up Domino's, you can appreciate that. And, according to a study by Simmons Research Group, which tracks consumer behavior, about 15% of the station's viewers say they don't even like to cook. De Laurentiis is used to getting gawked at - on her cooking shows and beyond. "People have always been intimidated by the way I look," says the Rome-born De Laurentiis, who is in Italy this week moonlighting for the "Today" show as an Continue Reading

Remains found in stove during search for Food Network chef Cristie Schoen Codd, husband: sheriff

Remains believed to be human have been found in a wood stove belonging to the key murder suspect in the disappearance of former Food Network contestant Cristie Schoen Codd and her husband, authorities in North Carolina said. The discovery came as Robert Jason Owens' wife told detectives that her husband admitted to fatally running over the celebrity chef's husband Joseph (JT) Codd, 45, with the victim’s own pickup truck, a search warrant revealed. "He did admit to taking the bodies, storing them on his property and destroying them," Buncombe Sheriff Van Duncan said of the 36-year-old suspect at a press conference Friday. Exactly how both may have been killed, however, has yet to be revealed. He did admit to taking the bodies, storing them on his property and destroying them. Duncan has said that only a portion of the remains, not definitively matched to the couple, have been recovered. Owens, who is charged with the couple's murder as well as the murder of their unborn child, was arrested Monday after a witness reported seeing him suspiciously dumping large trash bags Sunday night. Deputies responding to the scene recovered Cristie Codd's ID as well as other items stolen from her Leicester home, authorities said. In a later interview, detectives said Owens admitted to going into the Codd's home and stealing items that were found in that dumpster. The theft was discovered Sunday, around the time they were reported missing by family, while authorities suspect they were killed sometime around Thursday of last week. A motive for their suspected murder remains under investigation, Duncan said. The Codds were reported missing by family on Sunday, but authorities suspect that they were murdered sometime around Thursday. The victims' family has said that the 38-year-old, Mississippi-born chef was five-months pregnant with her first child when she disappeared. She had worked as Continue Reading

Bodies found in search for missing ‘Food Network Star’ contestant Cristie Schoen Codd, husband

Authorities searching for the remains of a former Food Network contestant and her husband in North Carolina have reportedly recovered two bodies. The yet-to-be identified remains were found during the search for Joseph (J.T.) Codd, 45, and his five-months pregnant wife, Cristie Schoen Codd, 38, the Citizen Time reported. The bodies are believed to be that of the Leicester couple, but officials are awaiting an official confirmation from the medical examiner. Cristie Schoen Codd was expecting her first child with her husband Joseph (J.T.) Codd when they were murdered, authorities said. "We don't have positive identifications. We really can't make any other comment," Buncombe County medical examiner Sharon Sweede told the paper. The Mississippi-born chef and caterer, who was a finalist on the realty TV show "Food Network Star" in 2012, was reported missing with her husband Sunday. On Tuesday their neighbor, Robert Jason Owens, 36, was arrested in their murder, as well as the murder of their unborn child. The sheriff's office has scheduled a press conference for Friday to release addition information. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

Missing ‘Food Network Star’ contestant Cristie Schoen Codd, husband murdered: sheriff

A North Carolina man has been charged with the murder of a missing former "Food Network Star" contestant, her husband and their unborn baby. Celebrity chef Cristie Schoen Codd, 38, who was a season 8 finalist, and her husband Joseph (JT) Codd, 45, are reportedly believed to have been killed sometime Thursday though authorities have yet to reveal the location of their bodies, if already found. On Tuesday their Leicester neighbor, Robert Jason Owens, 36, was booked on two counts of first-degree murder, murder of an unborn child, larceny and breaking and entering. Authorities said Owens owned a construction business and had previously done construction work at the Codd's home, the Citizen Times reported. But he also had a suspicious past while linked to the 2000 disappearance of an 18-year-old man who vanished while going to look at a car for sale in Asheville. "He was definitely a primary suspect in the Zebb Quinn case," Buncombe Sheriff Van Duncan told the paper of that ongoing 15-year investigation. An arrest warrant, obtained by the paper, accuses Owens of breaking into the couple's home Sunday and stealing a laptop, jewelry and a Glock handgun. Cristie Schoen Codd, 38, was pregnant and living with her husband Joseph (JT) Codd, 45, in North Carolina when they went missing, authorities said. When the couple's family reported them missing that same day, responding deputies described finding only their two dogs and cars at the property. Family members told Fox Carolina that the Mississippi-born chef and caterer was five months pregnant with her first child. Robert Jason Owens, left, was also a suspect in the 2000 disappearance of 18-year-old Zeb Quinn, right, in Asheville, N.C. Duncan said investigators are still working to determine a motive. His office has yet to reveal details on what led to the murder Continue Reading

Suspect in ‘Food Network’ chef’s death had been linked to 2000 disappearance of North Carolina teen

The prime suspect in the killing of a pregnant one-time “Food Network Star” chef and her husband was known to authorities as a person of interest in the disappearance of a North Carolina teen. A younger Robert Jason Owens, now age 37, who authorities apprehended this week in suspicion of Cristie and Joseph Codd’s death, was the last person thought to have seen 18-year-old Zebb Wayne Quinn alive in 2000. Investigators discovered human remains burned inside a wood stove at Owens’ Leicester home, giving Quinn’s mother hope that his cold case may soon be solved. He was never charged in connection to Quinn’s case due to lack of evidence at the time. “It breaks my heart that these people had to die for some information to come to light,” Denise Vlahakis told Good Morning America. Asheville Police Sgt. Dave Romick said the lead suspect in Quinn’s disappearance was in custody, but did not specifically name Owens, according to WCNC-TV. Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan says Owens admitted to burning the Codds’ bodies, but police have yet to determine how the newlyweds died. They disappeared Sunday night. The construction contractor faces two counts of murder for the death of the Codds, as well as the murder of an unborn child that Cristie was pregnant with at the time of her death. Owens also faces burglary charges for allegedly breaking into their home and stealing a laptop, jewelry and a gun. He had previously worked on their home and lived only a mile away. Police searched Owens’ property in 2007 in connection to Quinn’s case but found nothing. Quinn, a student at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, was the subject of a 2012 episode of the Discovery Channel show “Disappeared.” The night Quinn vanished, he left work at an Asheville Walmart to look at a car with Continue Reading