How to get a job with the Donald Trump administration

Have you always wanted to work for the federal government? Here's your chance, because President Donald Trump is scouting new political employees to work at the White House. Just visit the official White House website, and you’ll find a variety of appointments including internships. The administration is looking to fill openings across its 40 departments. From economists, researchers, assistants and managers, the choosings are plentiful. Once you are ready to fill out the application, you will be asked to identify which department, function, policy area and board you’re interested in to better filter your options.  What do you need to do to gain a seat at one of the White House tables?  While the qualifications vary depending on the role, Trump’s site warns all interested applicants of the time commitment and fast pace of each position. It also says, "appointments and jobs of the Trump-Pence Administration are demanding, and the application process is rigorous." If you think you can handle it, go ahead and complete the online application. It requires you to submit basic information, such as your address and political party, and your cover letter and resume. If you make it to the next step, you then will be asked to fill out a personal data statement, which asks about "possible conflicts of interest deriving from your sources of income; all aspects of your personal and professional life, including organization which you belong or once belonged; speeches you may have given and books, articles and editorials you may have written; legal, administrative and regulatory proceedings to which you may have been a party; in short, anything that might embarrass the President or you if he should choose you for a position in his administration." Lastly, depending on the position, you may also be required to fill out financial disclosure forms. Continue Reading

Trump administration says no to new sanctions, yes to cribbing from Forbes

With an impending congressional deadline for fresh sanctions on Russia, the Donald Trump administration engaged in a series of confused moves Monday that ended with no new penalties and a list of oligarchs cribbed from Forbes magazine. Last August, Congress passed bipartisan legislation — the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act — that called for new sanctions against entities conducting "significant" business with Russia's defense and intelligence sectors. The legislation also called on the Trump administration to compile what had come to be referred to as the "Kremlin report" or "oligarch list" — a list of names of people well-connected to the Kremlin and within Russian President Vladimir Putin's inner circle. The individuals wouldn't face immediate penalties, but the list would essentially serve as a warning shot for Russian elites who could face penalties later. Both the sanctions and the list of oligarchs were expected by Monday. Instead, the State Department informed Congress that it would not be adding sanctions, and the U.S. Treasury published a list not of Putin's inner circle, but of people whose names appear on the Kremlin website and in Forbes's 2017 list of the wealthiest Russians. The confusing, and seemingly contradictory, moves highlight apparent chaos in U.S. sanctions policy when it comes to Russia, and they sparked criticism in both Moscow and Washington. "Not only did they just cut and paste without any nuance, but they also didn't appear to double-check the list, which is disturbing," said Brian O'Toole, a former Treasury Department official. Congress was given a classified briefing Monday afternoon, yet the hours ticked away, and no oligarch list had been made public. Then, with minutes to the midnight deadline, the Treasury Department published the unclassified version of its list, which featured Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov, prime minister and former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev, Defense Continue Reading

Florida Gov. Rick Scott Opposes Trump Administration’s Plan To Expand Offshore Drilling

Republican Florida Gov. Rick Scott condemned President Donald Trump administration's proposed plan to expand offshore oil and gas drilling in the United States' coasts. The proposal, which will open up protected areas in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans for drilling, has sparked outrage among environmentalists, coastal states, and tourism industry, Reuters reported. In a statement issued by the Department of Interior, Secretary of Interior Ryan Zinke has proposed a plan for “unleashing America’s offshore oil and gas potential.” However, environmentalists expressed concerns over the ramifications of this move, as it will negate the environmental protection barriers put in place by the Obama administration. The plan proposes for "responsibly developing the National Outer Continental Shelf Oil and Gas Leasing Program (National OCS Program) for 2019-2024, which proposes to make over 90 percent of the total OCS acreage and more than 98 percent of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil and gas resources in federal offshore areas available to consider for future exploration and development. By comparison, the current program puts 94 percent of the OCS off limits." The program also proposes the largest number of lease sales in U.S. history for the National OCS Program’s 5-year lease schedule. The Draft Proposed Program includes 47 potential lease sales in 25 of the 26 planning areas – 19 sales off the coast of Alaska, 7 in the Pacific Region, 12 in the Gulf of Mexico, and 9 in the Atlantic Region.  Apart from the governor of Florida, the plan to expand drilling along the coast has been opposed by the governors of New Jersey, Virginia, South Carolina and North Carolina, Guardian reported. The governors of Washington, California and Oregon have also expressed their disapproval of the plan as they deem the decision to be a colossal threat to the fragile coast and the eco system of their Continue Reading

U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin presses Donald Trump administration for ‘Buy American’ report

When President Donald Trump traveled to Snap-On Inc. in Kenosha in April to tout American manufacturing, he signed a "Buy American, Hire American" executive order.One of the promises made in the order was that a report would be completed within 220 days to provide recommendations to strengthen the country's Buy American laws.Well, the 220 days have passed and among those who would like to see the report is Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin.Baldwin, who faces re-election next year, sent a letter to Trump Tuesday calling on his administration to complete and make public the report.The only problem is, according to Baldwin's letter, the report may not be finished.Baldwin urged the administration "to expedite the publication of this now late report."Baldwin and Trump may be political opposites, but they appear to be closer on "Buy American" policies.In an interview in Kenosha with WTMJ-TV, Trump voiced support for Baldwin's legislation to use American-made iron and steel to rebuild America's water infrastructure. The effort was bottled up in the Republican-led Congress.Baldwin said in her letter that she remained hopeful that she and Trump could "work together to ensure Congress strengthens our government's commitment to buying American-made goods in order to improve wages, boost growth, and support American manufacturers."  Continue Reading

Scientists scramble to copy U.S. climate data, fearing Donald Trump administration will raze it

Scientists are on a rushed mission to preserve as much climate change data and research as possible — because they fear Donald Trump might do away with it all upon taking office. Efforts are popping up across North America, including a "guerilla archiving" event planned at the University of Toronto for this weekend and multiple meetings at the University of Pennsylvania scheduled on how to most efficiently download large quantities of federal data as fast as possible ahead of Inauguration Day. The scientific community's primary focus is preserving information and data from the Environmental Protection Agency, which conducts environmental assessments, research and education on a national scale. The scientists behind the preservation efforts collaborate with the Internet Archive's End of Term 2016 Project, which seeks to bookmark a range of different federal data facing possible extinction under a Trump presidency. "This project is urgent because the Trump transition team has identified the EPA and other environmental programs as priorities for the chopping block," states a description from the University of Toronto organizers, who hope to use so-called "webcrawl" technology to hack into federal environmental databases and archive whatever is on them. Climate Mirror, sparked by a Dec. 10 tweet from self-described "climate hawk" Eric Holthaus, is another project that uses similar technology to copy climate databases and reboot them on new URLs. "I genuinely don't think the Trump administration will intentionally delete data — such an act would be illegal, as well as unforgivable," Holthaus wrote in an essay published in the Washington Post Tuesday. "However, I do anticipate budget cuts that will likely put data in jeopardy." Trump, who some say will be the only world leader to deny climate change, is in the midst of nominating members to his presidential Cabinet. Many of his Continue Reading

Paul Ryan is doing the smart thing: Donald Trump is ballot box poison, and would be a serious problem for a Republican Congress

Paul Ryan is not stupid. The Republican speaker of the House can see the writing on the wall, and it is ominous. With less than 30 days before the election, the Republican nominee for President is on life support, a not-disastrous debate performance momentarily saving Donald Trump from the release of an otherwise fatal recording, in which he suggests he has sexually assaulted women. Ryan knows it’s only a matter of time before more of these damaging revelations leave the candidate brain-dead, with no hope of resuscitation. What many of us have warned of for months — that Trump was both unelectable and uniquely bad for conservatism — has just been perfectly evidenced in the span of four days. In an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted after the release of the tape, Hillary Clinton’s lead is now 11 points. Trump has suffered the defection of numerous high-profile Republican supporters, including Sen. John McCain and Condoleezza Rice. Conservatives are also mourning the loss of a favorite argument. Where Republicans used to insist (or pretend, depending on how you look at it) that they had the moral high ground, Trump’s supporters are redefining that adage, claiming at least he’s not as bad as Democrats like Bill Clinton, or simply shrugging it off and saying that this is how men talk. All of this is why Ryan called up House Republicans on Monday and told them he would no longer defend the nominee, nor campaign for him. Instead, he’ll devote all his energy toward protecting the House and Senate. And so, after insisting for months that he doesn’t need establishment Republicans to win, Trump is now shifting blame in a perfectly Trumpian fashion, suggesting if he loses, it will be Ryan’s fault. On Tuesday morning, he tweeted, “Desite (sic) winning the second debate in a landslide (every poll)” — that’s a lie, by the way; he lost every real poll Continue Reading

Maine Gov. Paul LePage might as well be Donald Trump and needs ‘professional help,’ rival says

Anyone curious about how scary a Donald Trump administration would be need look no further than Maine’s crazed Gov. Paul LePage, one of the Republican guv’s rivals said Monday. Maine state Rep. Drew Gattine — the man on the receiving end of a vulgar voicemail from LePage last week — told CNN’s “New Day” LePage matches his buddy Trump for insanity. “If you want to know what a Donald Trump administration would look like, you really don't need to look further as to what's been happening in the last six years up here in Maine,” Gattine said. “The issue with our governor is, it just keeps getting more and more extreme, and just when you think he can't cross another line, he crosses another line.” Gattine said the big bully terrorizing their little state “isn’t fit to be governor,” and “probably needs to get some sort of professional help.” LePage humiliated himself again most recently by calling Gattine a “socialist c--ksucker” in a leaked voicemail. Rather than apologize after the leak, LePage summoned reporters to his house and challenged Gattine to a duel, declaring: “I would not put my gun in the air. I guarantee you, I would not be Hamilton.” Their spat started over LePage’s incorrect claim that Gattine called him a racist. Gattine instead denounced the governor’s “racially charged” comments about drug problems in Maine. “I said that those kinds of racially charged comments are not helpful in solving the crisis,” Gattine said Monday. “Again, this governor likes to throw stones. I try not to throw stones back. You know, I was being very careful in terms of what I said.” Just a day after laying down the duel challenge, LePage told reporters he sees blacks and Hispanics as “the enemy” in his state’s war on Continue Reading

Speculation surrounds Marsha Blackburn and possible Donald Trump administration post

While significant attention has been paid to the possibility of U.S. Sen. Bob Corker being named to Donald Trump's administration, speculation has been growing that U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn could be in line for a Cabinet post as well.After being named last week to Trump's transition team, which also includes ex-Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, some believe Blackburn could be offered a spot in the administration.The Brentwood Republican serves as vice chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, making a Secretary of Commerce appointment logical. Blackburn also serves as chairman of the House Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives."There's lot of rumors going around," state Sen. Jack Johnson, R-Franklin, said. "I have nothing firm on that. I'm really happy and excited that she's on the transition team."Johnson said he had no knowledge as to whether Blackburn is being seriously considered for a Cabinet spot, but praised her qualifications, as did Corker.Corker, who has downplayed speculation about the possibility of joining the Trump administration, declined to speculate on which positions.“I have heard nothing,” she said.Corker said he believes she's developed a good relationship with the Trump campaign.“I do know that she’s served for a long time and has a lot of knowledge about any number of areas," Corker said. “My guess is, should she wish to serve in that type of capacity, there might be several options that could well become available for her.”A spokesperson for Blackburn, who has delivered speeches at the last three Republican National Conventions, did not respond to a request for comment.Unlike the replacement process for a vacant U.S. Senate seat - where Gov. Bill Haslam would get to select who would fill the spot - a vacancy in Tennessee's congressional delegation would require a special election.State law requires a primary Continue Reading

Donald Trump administration outlines new NAFTA goals

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s administration today outlined a set of more specific plans for renegotiating the 23-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico, avoiding the bellicose language Trump used on the campaign trail, but saying one of its primary goals is to reduce the U.S. overseas trade deficit.The 18-page Summary of Objectives for the NAFTA Renegotiation meets a 30-day deadline to provide to Congress a set of specific goals for reopening the iconic trade deal that opened North American borders and helped lead to an integrated domestic auto industry that has seen parts and supplies flow freely across the borders.But while automakers and other manufacturers have said that NAFTA helped prop up their industries by providing more access to markets, less-expensive labor and parts, Trump throughout the campaign argued along with workers that NAFTA has cost American jobs and that he would stand for it no longer. Stephen Henderson: Great Lakes win, Trump loses? Today’s summary — released by U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer — didn’t mention the auto industry by name and avoided threats such as those made by Trump to put in place steep tariffs against American auto companies moving or expanding operations in other North American countries. But it still made the case for renegotiating the agreement, saying, “The America that existed when NAFTA was signed is not the America that we see today.”“Some Americans have benefited from new market access provided by the agreement. It contributed to the linking of the continent through trade, while at the same time NAFTA provided much-needed market access for American farmers and ranchers,” the summary said in its opening.But the document went on to say, “Since the deal came into force in 1994, trade deficits have exploded, thousands of factories have closed, and millions of Americans Continue Reading

Donald Trump to finally report for jury duty after claiming he never received 5 summonses in past 9 years

Presidential candidate Donald Trump has made a firm date to report for jury duty on Aug. 17, Manhattan court officials confirmed Friday. Officials have told the bombastic billionaire — who was just fined $250 for ignoring five jury summonses in nine years — that the fine will be erased as soon as he shows up for service, according to Trump's attorney Michael Cohen. Cohen said Trump didn’t show for jury service because notices were mailed to the wrong place — a Central Park South condominium building that Trump manages. Cohen said Trump has never had an office or residence there. He lives and works in Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue. Follow The Daily News on Facebook. Click here to "Like." “Is this a Democratic plot to keep Mr. Trump off the campaign trail?” Cohen fumed Friday. Court officials confirmed that the date was chosen by Trump because it was the first opening in his busy campaign schedule. It’s also an ideal date for someone who wants to minimize his chance of spending more than a day on jury duty, because there are so few trials that month. Administrative Judge Peter Moulton said the courts are open, and judges are available but lawyers take vacations — and there are only two jury trials slated to begin in Manhattan Supreme Court in the last two weeks of August. Manhattan County Clerk Milton Tingling said Trump — like any other juror reporting to civil court — could be sent to Centre Street to serve time in the criminal courts. Either way, once he's served, even if only for a day, he's free for six years. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading