Questions swirl around alleged pirate shooting at Mexico lake as David Hartley’s body still missing

What happened in Mexico seems to be staying in Mexico. Tiffany Hartley claims her husband David was shot and killed by Mexican pirates last week during the couple's trip to a Texas lake, but police who have been searching for the 30-year-old's body are now raising doubts she is telling the whole story. Tiffany, 29, says the pair was enjoying an afternoon of riding jet skis around Falcon Lake on the Texas-Mexico border when three men riding speedboats came out of nowhere to attack them, shooting David in the head, according to The Associated Press. He fell face-down into the water, and though she tried to pull him out, she claims one of the assailants threatened her with a gun before she was able to rescue him. "I couldn't get him up, and I just kept hearing God tell me, 'You have to go, you have to go,'" she told the "Today" show on Tuesday. "So I had to leave him so I could get to safety." But almost a week later, authorities still haven't found his body, and conflicting reports have led them to question if the version of events she reported actually occurred. via Facebook Rolando Armando Flores Villegas, the State Police commander overseeing the search, told Texas paper the McAllen Monitor on Monday that no one in the area had reported hearing jet skis or gunshots. And the district attorney on the case, Marco Antonio Guerrero Carrizales, cast his own doubts on the story, pointing out that David's jet ski itself still hasn't been recovered, and his body is still missing despite the fact he was wearing a life vest. Police "are not certain that the incident happened the way that they are telling us," Carrizales told the Monitor. Since the incident technically happened in Mexican waters, the U.S. has no jurisdiction over the case and Mexican authorities are handling the investigation. David's parents Dennis and Pam slammed Mexican police for the way they have been handling the case, and hit back at any allegations their daughter-in-law could Continue Reading

The year of bad parents: David Hasselhoff, Courtney Love, Jon Gosselin top the list

It's been a banner year for bad parenting. Richard and Mayumi Heene are set to be sentenced today for convincing the country their son was swept away in a homemade air balloon — and they're far from the only mom and dad who set a bad example. Lindsay Lohan's father released their private phone chats, Courtney Love lost custody of her daughter, and David Hasselhoff's alleged drinking binge ruined Thanksgiving weekend. Not to mention Jon and Kate Gosselin's dirty divorce and the Octomom's antics. Here's to 2009's worst celebrity parents ... RICHARD & MAYUMI HEENEWORST OFFENSE: Pretending their son flew away in an air balloon.Colorado. Even more shocking, Richard and Mayumi Heene told news crews and cops their 6-year-old son, Falcon, was inside. Local police and National Guard helicopters were sent to pursue the "Balloon Boy," and a Denver airport was shut down. But when the balloon finally landed, Falcon was nowhere to be found. He later surfaced at his home, and the Heenes told everyone he'd been hiding from them in the garage. But in a TV interview later that night, Falcon said his parents told him that, "We did this for the show." It soon came out that the Heene family had previously appeared on "Wife Swap," and that Richard was pushing a reality TV show about them. Their local sheriff announced on Oct. 18 that the balloon incident was a hoax, and on Nov. 13, Richard pleaded guilty to a felony charge of attempting to influence a public servant, while Mayumi pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of knowingly filing a false report. They're due in court today for sentencing. 'OCTOMOM' NADYA SULEMANWORST OFFENSE: Cashing in on her kids.California mom already had six young kids at home, was unemployed and divorced, and was receiving public assistance at the time. All 14 of Suleman's kids were conceived via IVF. Even the Octomom's mother, Angela, who helped take care of the kids, was Continue Reading

Super Bowl hero David Tyree gets ready for possible ‘last hurrah’ as Giant

It may be the unkindest cut of all, and it's almost certain to come later this week.And David Tyree knows it. "I'm planning on playing Thursday (in the preseason finale against New England). That's my last hurrah," said Tyree, whose miracle catch over Rodney Harrison helped the Giants keep alive their game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLII. "It could be my last hurrah as a Giant. It's a possibility, you just never know." Tyree has had a feeling his days with the Giants are numbered as he's limped through a subpar training camp marred by injury and dropped passes. The 29-year-old has yet to catch a pass in the preseason and is hobbled with a barking hamstring. All the while, the Giants' stable of young receivers has been getting the bulk of the work. "I'm an honest evaluator," Tyree said. "There've been guys who have done some wonderful things, some good things in this camp. I'm not looking on yesterday's moments to make this team." Final cuts are scheduled for Saturday, which means Tyree's time with Big Blue could be over before Labor Day. But his place in Giant history is secure because of a miracle catch. "My experience here had been nothing short of a dream," Tyree said. "Obviously to be placed in the team history and sports history, where do you go from here? But at the same time, my love for this game hasn't died out yet. I feel like I still have something great to add to my career and legacy." BOLEY BACK: For four long weeks, LB Michael Boley, who signed a six-year, $25 million free agent deal in February, was little more than an expensive spectator at training camp as he recovered from hip surgery to repair a torn labrum. Yesterday, Boley was finally given the green light to partake in his first practice after he passed a physical and was released from the physically unable to perform list. It was news Boley waited all summer to hear. "It's good to get off that list and get back and get the OK that I can actually get involved in team activities," Boley said. Continue Reading

Wagner Falcons improve to 8-0 with decisive victory over McKee/SI Tech

Wagner volleyball coach Marco Altieri worried about his players succumbing to "mental exhaustion" during a nightmarish week that included three league games and two tournaments, but the Falcons were anything but winded on Friday night, storming past visiting McKee/ SI Tech, 2-0, in less than an hour's time."We had a tough week and this was a big test for us," said senior setter Amanda Fiore, who finished with 21 assists. "We wanted to show that we could close the door (on the week). It was a long week, but this is the way we wanted to come out and play."The Falcons (8-0) dominated both sets from start to finish, winning both games by scores of 25-11. Wagner improved to 8-0, best in the PSAL Staten Island A9 division. McKee dropped to 5-2 and third place in the division as Tottenville (6-2) defeated Port Richmond in straight sets at home.Wagner got strong efforts from junior outside hitter Emily Burke (11 kills), senior outside hitter Karolina Wisniewski (12 kills) and junior defensive specialist Esther Jang, who won 14 straight service points in the second set and finished with eight digs.The Falcons closed out the first set with an emphatic spike by junior middle hitter Pola Poskrobko, and ended the second set on a similar note with Wisniewski slamming the ball home for a winner. Wisniewski played with her right middle finger taped to her ring finger after she jammed it while diving for a ball in Thursday's 2-0 win over Curtis. She called it a minor injury on Friday, not something that would interfere with her aggressive style of play."I wasn't going to miss this game," she said. "We had a long week and we wanted this game to end quickly."Wagner, which has not surrendered a set in PSAL league play this season,  won the Aviator Tournament on Sunday, then competed in the Francis Lewis tournament on Monday, logging roughly 15 hours of volleyball over the two-day span. The Falcons then defeated Tottenville 2-0 on Tuesday, toppled Curtis on Thursday and wrapped up Continue Reading

Eli Manning keeps New York Giants’ season alive with OT win over Atlanta Falcons

Someone told Eli Manning it had been 42 days since the Giants had won a game. "It has felt like it, too," he said. Six weeks is an eternity in the NFL. It is just long enough for one's confidence to erode. Just long enough to get the feeling that the season is sinking away. Manning and the Giants took the field against the Falcons at the Meadowlands Sunday needing to do something they hadn't done in 42 days - win a game. They needed to win for their own mental health. They needed to win to have any hope of making the playoffs. They needed to win to salvage the season. The Giants had to work overtime, but they got the job done, beating the Falcons, 34-31, in OT. They did it on the strength of Manning throwing for 384 yards and three TDs (with one interception). It was the first time in his career that Manning threw for over 300 yards at Giants Stadium. "I hope to get a few more," Manning said. "It's definitely a game that I'll remember for a while. Hopefully this will keep us going, get us going on a little rally." Manning couldn't have picked a more appropriate time to have such a superb game. The Giants had hit a four-game slide and it looked like their season was heading over a cliff. It is not overstating matters to say that a loss to the Falcons would have doomed the Giants' playoff hopes. After suffering a crisis of confidence during their losing streak, they needed Manning to step up and be the man, to be the kind of leader that could push the team forward. He did that against the Falcons yesterday. Now the Giants will need him to light it up for the next six games, beginning against Denver on Thanksgiving evening after a short week of work. The Giants hadn't seen this version of Manning in six weeks. This is the Manning who led the Giants past the Patriots in the Super Bowl two years ago - the quarterback who is poised under pressure, who always seems to be smart with the ball, who always seems to make the right decisions about Continue Reading

Falcons see Michael Vick sentenced, then get blown out by Saints

ATLANTA - The New Orleans Saints shook off the hangover from a devastating loss. The Falcons are still trying to get over a much bigger setback.After waking to news that disgraced quarterback Michael Vick would have to serve nearly two years in prison for dogfighting, his one-time teammates in Atlanta trudged through another dismal performance in a lost season.With Reggie Bush watching from the sideline and reportedly done for the year, Drew Brees passed for 328 yards and three touchdowns and New Orleans gave its playoff hopes a boost with a 34-14 rout of the Falcons on Monday night.The Saints (6-7) had no trouble getting over the disappointment of their last-minute loss to Tampa Bay a week earlier, taking advantage of a team that had to be distracted by the events in Richmond, Va., earlier in the day.Vick was sentenced to 23 months behind bars, completing his stunning fall from NFL star to federal prison inmate."The team misses him and we really need him this season," said receiver Roddy White, one of two Falcons who showed their solidarity with Vick for all to see.Cornerback DeAngelo Hall ran on the field during pregame introductions holding up a Vick poster and had "MV7" painted beneath his eyes. After White hauled in a 33-yard touchdown pass that briefly tied the game at 7, he pulled up his jersey to reveal a T-shirt with the handwritten message "Free Mike Vick."Hall and White are both likely to be fined by the NFL, and they can only hope Vick didn't have cable TV in his jail cell. This was another ugly performance by the team No. 7 put in such a bind with his off-the-field troubles.At the management and coaching level, the Falcons (3-10) say they're moving on without Vick. The players know it's not that easy."I don't want to say this franchise doesn't want to acknowledge the situation, but that's kind of the way you feel," Hall said. "All his pictures are gone, no more jerseys, no more nothing. We just wanted to let him know we're still thinking about him. We Continue Reading

Preliminary report: Death of steroids dealer David Jacobs a suicide

The Dallas County Medical Examiner has released a preliminary finding of suicide in the surprising death of convicted steroid dealer David Jacobs, describing two “self-inflicted” gunshot wounds, one in the abdomen and another in the head. Jacobs, 35, was found dead in the early morning hours of Thursday in his Plano, Texas home, where he mixed raw materials imported from China into the potent drugs he claims he sold to NFL players. Law-enforcement officials initially investigated the case as a double homicide. Also found dead, alongside Jacobs, was his on-again, off-again fiancée Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell, a fitness model. Plano police said Earhart-Savell had multiple gunshot wounds, but the medical examiner's office has not confirmed manner or time of death. The weapon was identified as a .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun. The muscle-bound Jacobs reportedly named names and provided NFL security officials with e-mails, cancelled checks and other documentary evidence from players he had dealings with when he met with them two weeks ago. Plano police spokesman Rick McDonald said officers went to Jacobs’ home after receiving a missing person report from Earhart-Savell’s family early Thursday. Earhart-Savell appeared frequently in bodybuilding magazines. According to her Myspace page, she attended Texas Tech University on a tennis scholarship. Reached Friday at his Dallas area home, Earhart-Savell’s father Gary told The News his family had been instructed by police not to talk about the investigation. A subdued Gary Earhart said his family was in the process of making funeral arrangements. "I have no clue what happened," Jacobs’ father, David Arthur Jacobs, told The News from his home in Georgia. "I got an anonymous call telling me to call the Plano police, and that’s how I learned about this. I’m waiting for the Plano police to call me back with some information. "All I know is no longer have a Continue Reading

David Diehl leaves game with cramps

TAMPA - David Diehl had to come out of the game. That is bigger news than you think, because when the Giants' left tackle exited, it was the first action he's missed due to injury in his 83-game NFL career. He left the Giants' 24-14 win in the second half with cramps from dehydration. And he wasn't pleased. "Of all things to have to happen for me to ever sit out of a friggin' game," Diehl said. "I couldn't even bend my leg and I wanted to stay out there." Diehl, who had three IV bags of fluids before the game and amazingly still was dehydrated, was only out for one series and was replaced by Guy Whimper. As trainers began wrapping his right hamstring on the sidelines, he lost count of how many bottles of Gatorade he drank in an effort to rehydrate himself. He did not enjoy his unprecedented idle time. "It (stunk)," he said. "We were having fun out there and playing well." MISSING OUT: C Shaun O'Hara (knee) and CB Sam Madison (abdominal strain), who were both hurt in the season finale against New England, were unable to play yesterday. WR Sinorice Moss (back) was also inactive. ... LB Kawika Mitchell (knee) and CB Kevin Dockery (hip) played, but did not start. ... LB Cato June (foot) was out for the Bucs. MARA TO FALCS? The Atlanta Falcons have received permission from the Giants to interview Chris Mara for their vacant GM job, but the Giants' VP of player evaluation told the Daily News yesterday that he's not sure if he's going to do it. The younger brother of Giants co-owner John Mara was the runner-up last year when the Giants hired GM Jerry Reese. Mara was recommended to the Falcons by former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi, who is serving as a special adviser to Falcons owner Arthur Blank. GIANT INSPIRATION: Lt. Colonel Greg Gadson, an Army vet who lost both his legs in Iraq, again was a special guest of Tom Coughlin in Tampa this weekend. Gadson, who went to West Point with receivers coach Mike Sullivan, met individually with some players Continue Reading

Arbitrator: Falcons can recoup bonus money paid to Vick

ATLANTA - The Atlanta Falcons are entitled to recover nearly $20 million in bonus money paid to disgraced quarterback Michael Vick, an arbitrator ruled Tuesday. The players' union vowed to appeal.Stephen B. Burbank, the University of Pennsylvania law professor and special master who led last week's arbitration hearing, sided with the team after hearing from Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay and attorneys from the NFL Players Association, which represented Vick.The Falcons argued that Vick, who pleaded guilty to federal charges for his role in a long-running dogfighting operation, knew he was in violation of the contract when he signed a $130 million deal in December 2004.The team said he used proceeds from the contract to fund his illicit activities and sought the repayment of $19,970,000 in bonuses he was paid out of a total of $22.5 million in 2005 and '06.Vick was suspended indefinitely without pay by the NFL after entering into his plea agreement. He also lost millions in lucrative endorsement deals."We have reviewed the decision handed down by Special Master Stephen Burbank and believe it is incorrect," the NFLPA said in a statement. "We will now appeal his ruling."The case now goes to U.S. District Court Judge David Doty in Minneapolis, who still has jurisdiction over the antitrust suit filed by players following the 1987 strike. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

Jets re-sign linebacker David Harris to 3-year, $21.5M deal

On the same day that Jets GM Mike Maccagnan agreed to a trade for talented wide receiver Brandon Marshall, he locked up the Jets’ top impending free agent. David Harris agreed with the Jets on a three-year, $21.5 million deal that includes $15 million fully guaranteed through the first two years of the contract, according to a source. Harris, who was drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft, has long been a critical component in the Jets defense. He was an important player to re-sign because he is still productive and there is not a replacement currently on the roster. Harris is the team's defensive signal caller. Had Harris, 31, hit the open market, the Jets would have faced stiff competition for his services. Rex Ryan and the Bills were expected to go after the veteran linebacker, particularly after they jettisoned Kiko Alonso to the Eagles. The Falcons and Bears were also reportedly interested in the inside linebacker.  Continue Reading