UK man sneaks backstage at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight with Leo DiCaprio’s entourage — and snags selfies with Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and many more

A brazen smooth operator got back stage at the Mayweather fight by pretending to be part of Leonardo DiCaprio's entourage — and the boxer came to his rescue when he got caught. Fearless Steve Carruthers, 24, donned a suit and waited outside the MGM Grand Garden Arena until he spotted the A-list actor and joined his team. Inside the VIP bar he mingled with the stars, before following them all to the ring side where he got selfies with Christian Bale, Donald Trump, Michael Keaton and Paris Hilton. "Leonardo DiCaprio said he didn't do photos, but he was really nice and polite and gave me a handshake," Carruthers said. "Mark Wahlberg was really friendly. He did a shout out to my friend to my phone." And then after the fight, Carruthers stepped past security guards by joining journalists to wait outside Floyd Mayweather's and Manny Pacquiao's dressing rooms. "I took a selfie with Donald trump with both of us pulling silly faces, and Manny was really nice considering he had just lost the biggest fight of his career," said the Englishman. After snapping a photo with the Filipino he got caught by the MGM security team when he asked Mayweather for an autograph. But the boxer stuck up for the business graduate and told the security guard "I've got him," before inviting shocked Steve to his press conference and then posing for photos. Lucky Steve, who is on a six-week trip to the U.S.A., said the feat  "was quite hard ... If I was in jeans and trainers I don't think it would have worked. Everyone was suited and booted so I just blended in." Steve already had a $3,000 ticket in block 208 to watch the fight, but donned a suit in the hope of finagling a $983,000 ring side view. He waited outside the 16,800-capacity venue in Las Vegas and piggy-backed on the back of Leonardo DiCaprio's security team. "I was outside and I saw Leo DiCaprio — he had a cap on and his sunglasses and head down Continue Reading

Christian Bale defended co-star Amy Adams from director David O. Russell’s ‘abuse’ on set: leaked Sony emails

Former Batman Christian Bale may have just been unmasked as a real-life do-gooder. The actor stepped in to defend his "American Hustle" co-star Amy Adams from a barage of "abuse" by the film's director, David O. Russell, according to an internal Sony email exchange that's been published by WikiLeaks. The revelation came in the form of an email from journalist Jonathan Alter to his brother in law, Sony Entertainment CEO and chair Michael Lynton, detailing a source's account of chaos on the set of the 2013 Oscar-nominated film. "Are you guys doing anything else with him?," Atler wrote to Lynton in a Sept. 12, 2014 email. "I know he's brilliant but we have someone on our show who worked closely with him on 'American Hustle' and not only are the stories about him reforming himself total b---shit but the new stories of his abuse and lunatic behavior are extreme even by Hollywood standards." Among the litany of off-screen drama allegedly unleashed by O'Russell detailed by Alter: "He grabbed one guy by the collar, cursed out people repeatedly in front of others and so abused Amy Adams that Christian Bale got in his face and told him to stop acting like an a---hole." Though at first cagey in his response, Lynton eventually seemed to confirm the incident to his wife's brother in another email. "Next film for fox," he wrote. "Trust me I know all about the other." The leaked exchange is among the 170,000 internal Sony emails and 30,000 other documents posted Thursday by WikiLeaks -- the latest headache for the studio in the aftermath of last year's crippling hacking attack. The unprecedented cyber breach has been attributed to North Korea in retaliation for the Sony-distributed comedy, "The Interview." The Alter-Lynton email seems to confirm Russell's reputation for being a difficult director for his actors and crew. The New York-born filmmaker famously clashed regularly with George Clooney on the set of 1999's Continue Reading

Ouch! British boy, 11, excluded from school celebration for dressing as ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ character Christian Grey

It’s off to the red room of pain for this British schoolboy. A mom is outraged after her son’s school sent the 11-year-old boy home from Sale High School after he dressed up as the kinky “Fifty Shades of Grey” character Christian Grey for the annual World Book Day celebration. Liam Scholes donned an ill-fitting gray suit to the school outside Manchester, England, and carried zip ties and a sleeping mask as an ode to the freaky persona, portrayed on the silver screen by Jamie Dornan. Little Liam never has read the book, but "Christian Grey is all over, plastered on every channel and I don't think there's anyone who would not know who he is," mom Nicola Scholes, 36, told the Daily News on Friday.  "We thought it was funny. He didn't want to go as a cartoon-type character like the others, he wanted an older, more mature costume," the mom said. "That's who everyone at school talks about anyway." So while other kids dressed as Harry Potter characters, Darth Vader or Waldo, Liam made his mark by dressing as the notorious kinkmaster, who famously indulges in wicked fantasy bondage sex with reporter Anastasia Steele, played by actress Dakota Johnson. "I like my boys to look smart so I bought him a new suit," Nicola Scholes said. "He heard the stories that (Grey) loves whips but I gave him the cables which barely go around one wrist." The film, released over Valentine’s Day weekend, is based on a trilogy of erotic books penned by self-published author E.L. James. The novels themselves were a massive hit before being made into a movie. Scholes herself admits she read the books when they were big, but has yet to see the film. “I don’t think there is anyone in the country who doesn’t know about the book – it’s been plastered everywhere for the past couple of years. Liam’s argument was that it was the most talked about book character for the Continue Reading

Jeb Bush says stronger ‘Christian voice’ needed in world

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Saturday condemned the Obama administration's use of ``coercive federal power'' to limit religious freedom as he courted Christian conservatives at a Liberty University commencement ahead of a likely presidential run. Charging that ``the Christian voice'' isn't heard enough in the world, the Republican White House prospect lashed out at the Democratic president's administration for ``demanding obedience in complete disregard of religious conscience.'' ``The present administration is supporting the use of coercive federal power. What should be easy calls in favor of religious freedom have instead become an aggressive stance against it,'' Bush told an estimated 34,000 gathered for a graduation ceremony. ``Somebody here is being small-minded and intolerant, and it sure isn't the nuns, ministers, and laymen and women who ask only to live and practice their faith,'' he said. Bush was speaking inside a packed football stadium at Liberty University, an institution founded by the late conservative culture warrior, Rev. Jerry Falwell. Bush, a converted Catholic, is preparing to enter a Republican primary contest that includes Republican competitors considered far more popular with the GOP's religious right. Texas Sen. Ted Cruz formally announced his presidential campaign at Liberty University last month. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a Baptist pastor, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry have all made their Christian faith a centerpiece of prospective campaigns. All have aggressively condemned Obama's health care overhaul which requires some religion-affiliated organizations to provide health insurance for employees that includes birth control. The measure is among several examples of what Republicans charge is Obama's attack on religious liberty. ``How strange, in our own time, to hear Christianity spoken of as some sort of backward and oppressive force,'' Bush said. ``Your generation is Continue Reading

Christian Laettner’s buzzer beater knocks out Kentucky and sends Duke to another Final Four

(Originally published by the Daily News on Sunday, March 29, 1992; written by Ian O'Connor) PHILADELPHIA - In one of the great games in NCAA Tournament history, it had to be decided by a perfect play, made by a perfect player. Christian Laettner had done enough when he caught a full-court heave with 2.1 seconds left, his back to the basket, and Duke about to lose it all. He had made all nine of his field-goal attempts and all 10 of his free throws, so he would have been excused for missing the last shot of Duke's season. But it wasn't enough. He had to beat two Kentucky players for the ball, dribble once, fake to both sides, turn around and just before the buzzer, make perhaps the most dramatic 17-foot jumper in tournament history to beat the Wildcats in overtime, 104-103, last night in the championship game of the East Regional. The remarkable finish gave Duke (32-2) its fifth straight trip to the Final Four. For Kentucky (29-7), it was a devastating finish to a game for the ages. "I think we've all been part of one of the greatest games ever," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "You hope someday you're a part of something like this. I was just standing around afterwards, figuring what a lucky son of a gun I am." It finally sinks in "I don't realize what happened," said a stunned Laettner, who had 31 points and seven rebounds. "I just caught the ball, turned around and made the shot." As great a play as Laettner made, Kentucky's Sean Woods had nearly equated it seconds earlier. With Duke holding a 102-101 lead, Woods took an inbounds pass, blew by Bobby Hurley and lofted a banker over the lunging Laettner that went through the net with 2.5 seconds left. Duke's chances to become the first team to repeat as national champion since UCLA in 1973 seemed dead. But when Krzyzewski called his players into a huddle after a timeout with 2.1 seconds left, he had a message they took to heart. Continue Reading

Americans are less Christian, more atheist and agnostic: Pew survey

We’re losing our religion. Americans are becoming less Christian — and ne arly a quarter don’t identify with any faith at all,a major new survey has found. While the country’s share of Christians dropped dramatically across the U.S. over the past seven years, the percentage of American adults who don’t identify with an organized religion rose, according to a survey of more than 35,000 people released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center. The decline is most pronounced among young people, but is far-reaching. “It’s a very broad trend that we’re seeing. It goes across age groups, and regions and ethnic groups,” said Pew Research Center Senior Adviser John Green, a political science professor at the University of Akron. It is also happening among both women and men and regardless of education levels, Pew found. The U.S. is still home to more Christians than any other country in the world, and a large majority of the country identify with that faith. But the percentage of adults who call themselves Christian fell to 71% in 2014, down from 78% in 2007. Over the same period, the percentage of Americans who identify as atheist, agnostic or say they are “nothing in particular” climbed to 23% from 16%, the survey found. “The number of unaffiliated went up a percentage point a year, which is a pretty dramatic change,” Green said. Some of the shift is generational in nature, Green said — children and grandchildren are not as involved in church as their elders were. That’s the case for Victoria Guillem, 19, who was raised Catholic and graduated from the Convent of the Sacred Heart, an all-girls school on the Upper East Side. "My whole life, I was drenched in religion, but I'm rationally an atheist,” said Guillem, a student at New York University. “I've taken classes about religion and I think most of them are weird Continue Reading

Pakistani Christians clash with police after Taliban kills 15 in church bombings

LAHORE, Pakistan — Pakistan's minority Christians on Monday blocked roads and pelted police with stones in the eastern city of Lahore, a day after Taliban suicide bombers killed 15 people as they targeted two churches in the city — the latest attack against religious minorities in this increasingly fractured country. Sunday's twin bombings struck in quick succession in the Christian neighborhood of Youhanabad during morning services. The bombers detonated their suicide vests outside the two churches, about 650 yards apart. At least 70 people were wounded in the attacks. After the attacks, angry Christian mobs blocked the highway, ransacked bus terminals and burned two people to death who they suspected of being involved in the attacks. Along with Lahore, Christians also blocked roads Monday in the eastern cities of Faisalabad, Sargodha and Gujranwala. In Lahore, they blocked a major highway that runs near the two attacked churches and forced public transport services to shut down, said police officer Bilal Ahmad. Later, an angry Christian mob pelted the police with stones and smashed police cars and other vehicles, according to Rana Sanaullah of the ruling PML-N party. He said officers were trying to calm the protesters and get them to disperse. Lahore's police Deputy Inspector General Haider Ashraf told Pakistani Geo News TV that his men were "showing restraint." The TV aired footage showing a car speeding away after hitting some protesters who were trying to block it. Ashraf said he had no information what had happened to those hit by the car. Christian schools remained closed as prayer services and funerals for the bombing victims got underway, said shipping and ports minister and Christian community leader Kamran Michael. Also Monday, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan denounced the twin church attacks as an Continue Reading

Vatican backs use of force against ISIS after group’s attacks on Christians

Holy orders! The Vatican has backed the use of force against ISIS, reports the BBC. Rome's top diplomat at the UN, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, said force may be necessary to stop attacks on Christians and other minorities if no political solution could be found. The Vatican traditionally opposes military force. However, Tomasi, speaking to US catholic website, Crux, said: "What's needed is a coordinated and well-though-out coalition to do everything possible to achieve a political settlement without violence. "But if that's not possible, then the use of force will be necessary." He added that Christians were the main targets of attacks by the Islamic State and said everybody had the right "to be protected." Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

‘I don’t feel that I can be redeemed’: Christian Longo, family killer depicted in new film ‘True Story,’ opens up in letter from prison

The one-time good Christian father who murdered his entire family — a gruesome tale recounted in the new film “True Story” — admits his soul is beyond saving. “I don’t feel that I can be redeemed,” Christian Longo, a death row inmate at the Oregon State Penitentiary, wrote to People. “I believe that some actions are so terrible that nothing can ever atone for them.” The attention-loving Longo, who killed his wife and three kids days before Christmas 2001, seems to have written to the magazine just in time for the Friday release of “True Story,” in which James Franco portrays him. The manipulative murderer said in a letter that guilt is “a pervasive part of my daily existence.” “But I realize I can’t do anything about it now, except to try to live as positively as possible with a view that I don’t deserve the breaths I get to take,” he wrote. Longo grew up as a straight-laced and devoted Jehovah’s Witness in Michigan and married a fellow churchgoer, Mary Jane Baker, when he was 19. The couple had three kids and a marriage filled with financial frustrations, thanks to Longo running up massive expenses on vehicles and constantly bouncing or faking checks. The family moved to Newport, Ore. in December 2001. Before the end of the month, divers found the bodies of Mary and the couple’s children — 4-year-old Zachery, 3-year-old Sadie, and 2-year-old Madison — floating in a marina near their pricey condo, stuffed into suitcases and pillowcases. Longo flew to Mexico, partied as if nothing happened and impersonated the fired New York Times reporter Michael Finkel. He got caught a month after the murders and sentenced to death in 2003. Prosecutors argued that Longo snapped after tiring of family life and wanted to break free and have fun. Finkel, played by Jonah Hill in “True Continue Reading

‘Fifty Shades Darker’ teaser trailer shows Jamie Dornan as masked Christian Grey

Who is that masked man? Jamie Dornan shows off Christian Grey’s kinky side in the first teaser trailer for “Fifty Shades Darker.” The 30-second clip echoes the first still released from the highly anticipated sequel, with a tuxedo-clad Grey shown slipping on a masquerade mask. “Are you ready for something darker?” the teaser asks. Not only will the film be darker, it will also be “more of a thriller,” Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley told The Hollywood Reporter. She also addressed the behind-the-scenes drama between author E.L. James and director Sam Taylor-Johnson, which resulted in Taylor-Johnson exiting the franchise and James’ husband Niall Leonard being hired to write the "Fifty Shades Darker" screenplay. “For the record, the movie we ended up making is exactly the movie I wanted to make and that the studio wanted to make and that our director wanted to make,” Langley said about the hit film, which has grossed close to $570 million worldwide to date. “Fifty Shades Darker,” starring Dornan and Dakota Johnson, hits theaters Feb. 10, 2017. The third film in the trilogy, “Fifty Shades Freed,” will be released Feb. 9, 2018. ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH THE VIDEO HERE. Continue Reading