Benghazi: FBI Releases Photos of 3 Men Wanted for Questioning in Attack

The FBI posted a photo on its website today of three men wanted for questioning in the Benghazi, Libya attack. The agency said it's asking Libyans and people around the world to help identify these three men, who they say were on the grounds when the United States Consulate was attacked on September 11, 2012.  In a statement, the FBI said in part, "These individuals may be able to provide information to help in the investigation."  Special Report aired a three-part investigative series this week. Correspondent Adam Housley spoke to a source who watched the events unfold in real time and debriefed those who were a part of the response. The source told Housley that the mastermind behind the Benghazi attack was identified but remains walking around free in Libya. Fox News asked the FBI about that repeatedly this week. Bret Baier noted that also this week, the FBI decided to release photos from surveillance cameras taken eight months ago. The FBI denied that their decision to release the photos was a result of Fox News reporting. A statement read, “Absolutely not. Our plan to publicize these photos was in the works for weeks and the decision to post these this morning was already made long before your producer found it necessary to even call us.” Charles Krauthammer reacted on Special Report snarkily saying, “It’s remarkable the amount of coincidences around these events.” Continue Reading

Dem Blames Budget Cuts for Benghazi Attack

Rep. William Lacy Clay (D-MO) suggested that budget cuts may be in part to blame for the September 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. He cited the fact that House Republicans voted in 2011 to cut the administration’s request for embassy security funding by $128 million. There are three State Department officials appearing before lawmakers: Mark Thompson, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Counterterrorism; Gregory Hicks, Foreign Service Officer and former Deputy Chief of Mission/Chargé d’Affairs in Libya; and Eric Nordstrom, Diplomatic Security Officer and former Regional Security Officer in Libya. All three consider themselves to be whistleblowersand feel that the State Department’s Accountability Review Board on Benghazi did not adequately reflect their testimony about the attack. The September 11, 2012 attack killed U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith at the U.S. Consulate and former Navy SEALS Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty at a nearby CIA annex.   Continue Reading

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver used Sept. 11 to justify steering $500G to doctor: letter

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver used the Sept. 11 attacks to justify steering $500,000 in taxpayer dollars to a Columbia University doctor who was secretly helping him pocket millions in bogus “referral fees,” according to a letter obtained by the Daily News. In the letter dated July 5, 2005, Silver promised the public money would go toward vital research on residents and workers at the site of the World Trade Center terror attacks who may have been exposed to asbestos when the buildings collapsed. Last week, Silver was charged with reaping nearly $4 million in bribes and kickbacks through two schemes carried out over the last 15 years. At the crux of the case against him is a secret arrangement Silver made with Dr. Robert Taub, a Yale-educated oncologist researching a cure for asbestos-related cancer at New York Presbyterian-Columbia University Medical Center in Upper Manhattan. In the letter on Assembly stationery, Silver directed the state Department of Health to grant $250,000 to a program at Columbia, specifically noting that Taub was the “project director.” “Your assistance in expediting this grant would be greatly appreciated,” Silver wrote to Executive Deputy Health Commissioner Dennis Whalen. According to a “legislative initiative form” attached to the letter, the money was to fund research into “occurrences of such cancers in individuals exposed to asbestos and other materials released into the air during the attacks of September 11, 2001.” The funding, Silver’s request stated, would be used for “outreach to residents and workers in Lower Manhattan who may be at risk of mesothelioma and other cancers because of such exposure.” DOH complied with the powerful Assembly speaker’s request and doled out the $250,000 to Taub, and then did it again in 2007 when Silver made another request, bringing the total Taub Continue Reading

Sept. 11 terrorist attack on America: 15 years later

Many families of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, will gather at the World Trade Center site today to remember those they lost.On this, the 15th anniversary of the attacks, houses of worship across New York City will toll their bells at 8:46 a.m. as institutions observe a moment’s silence to mark the instant when the first plane struck the World Trade Center’s north tower.Then, family members will begin the annual ceremonial reading of the 2,977 names of those who died in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, as well as the six people killed in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. 15th ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11: Everything you need to knowCrowds for the ceremony have diminished over the years. But some families hope that this year, with a significant anniversary falling on a weekend, more people will attend.“Parents of the deceased are getting older, younger people usually can’t make it because of work obligations,” said Tom Acquaviva, of Wayne, NJ whose 29-year-old son, Paul, a father of two, died on September 11. “But I hope this year you will see a lot more people than previous years.”Acquaviva said that although he thinks of Paul daily, the anniversary of the attacks remains a special day. “My wife and I lost everything,” Acquaviva said. “You carry on, but you don’t move on.”Tom Meehan missed the ceremony last year because of health issues. “It’s part of the aging process,” said Meehan, 73. “And part of living under the stress.”Meehan, of Toms River, NJ is determined to attend this year’s event for his daughter, Colleen, who died in the north tower at the age of 26. “Hearing those names spoken, their memories stay alive,” Meehan said. RELATED: Sept. 11 memorial eventsIt takes about three hours to read all of the names. In recent years, by the end of the ceremony the crowd has thinned to about 100 Continue Reading

Obama pays respects to those killed during 9/11 attacks at White House gathering

President Obama and his wife Michelle bowed their heads in solemn silence Wednesday morning to mark the 12th anniversary of the attacks of September 11. Dressed in a bright purple dress, the First Lady held fast to the President's hand as the couple walked out onto the South Lawn of the White House with Vice President Biden and his wife Jill, who was dressed in black. At 8:46am — the exact time hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 11 into the World Trade Center's North Tower in 2001 — the Obamas, Bidens and members of the White House staff stood by quietly to remember the terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of 2,977 victims and forever changed the country. The silence was pierced by a single trumpeter, who played "Taps" to conclude the gathering. The President, who addressed the nation Tuesday night regarding Syria, did not speak at the somber affair. Later in the morning, he attended an Observance Ceremony at the Pentagon Memorial in Arlington, Va. TRANSCRIPT: Remarks by the President at the September 11th Observance at the Pentagon Memorial: Arlington, Virginia   From Scripture, we learn of the miracle of restoration.     “You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again.  From the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.  You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.”   Secretary Hagel, General Dempsey, members of our Armed Forces and most of all, the survivors who bear the wounds of that day and the families of those we lost, it is an honor to be with you here again to remember the tragedy of twelve Septembers ago  -- to honor the greatness of all who responded and to stand with those who still grieve and to provide them some measure of comfort once more.  Together we pause and we pray and we give humble thanks -- as families and as a nation -- for the strength and the grace that from the depths of our despair has brought us up again, has revived Continue Reading

11 years after the attacks on September 11, 2001, family and friends will return to the site to mourn and remember their loved ones

It happened on another Tuesday morning, on another picture perfect blue-sky day, exactly 11 years ago.Osama Bin Laden’s monstrous crime to mourn, to cry, and — most of all — to remember. VIDEO: 9/11 MUSEUM PREVIEWS EXHIBIT THAT PUTS SPOTLIGHTS ON VICTIMS' LIVES FOR RELATIVES THE FALLEN: FULL LIST OF 9/11 VICTIMS' NAMES 9/11 IN PICTURES 9/11 10 YEARS LATER Jason DeCrow/AP Family members of victims of 9/11 read the names of those killed in the attack Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011, during a ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of the attacks at the National September 11 Memorial at the World Trade Center site in New York. “It’ll definitely make it eerie, bring us back to that day,” said Robert Ramirez, a Florida firefighter who has flown up for every memorial. Jason DeCrow/AP The World Trade Center Flag is presented as friends and relatives of the victims of 9/11 gather for a ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of the attacks at the National September 11 Memorial at the World Trade Center site, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011, in New York. President Obama, who has made the pilgrimage to Ground Zero five times — including a special trip last year after Navy SEALS, on his order, killed Bin Laden — will mark the attacks with moments of silence on the South Lawn of the White House. Lucas Jackson/AP A man traces the name of a victim of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks during a ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of the attacks Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011 at the National September 11 Memorial at the World Trade Center site in New York. “I remember the thin layer of dust on everything,” he said. “And, of course, the smell.”With Rocco Parascadola and Joseph Straw Join the Conversation: Continue Reading

FBI asks for public’s help in identifying three men linked to last year’s deadly Benghazi attack

The FBI is asking for the public's help in identifying three men who were on the grounds of the U.S. Mission in Benghazi when it was attacked last September, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens. In their brief request, the bureau said they are hoping to identify the three people pictured in surveillance video taken on the night of the September 11, 2012 attacks. Little explanation is given on the FBI's bulletin as to why the agency has chosen to focus on these three men. A source at the FBI told NBC News that some 45 people have been selected as persons of interest in the attack, and that 25 of those 45 have already been identified. But as ABC News notes, no suspects have yet been taken into custody, seven months after Ambassador Stevens, Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, and computer specialist Sean Smith were killed. In the post, the FBI writes: "The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation appreciates that the Libyan people and the government of Libya have condemned the September 11, 2012 attacks on U.S. Special Mission personnel and facilities in Benghazi, Libya. "We are seeking information about three individuals who were on the grounds of the U.S. Special Mission when it was attacked. These individuals may be able to provide information to help in the investigation," they write, asking those with information to email [email protected] On the night of September 11, 2012, hundreds of armed militants stormed the embassy, pillaging the compound and burning everything in sight. Photographs after the attack show the compound completely sacked, with bloodied handprints staining the walls and charred rubble still smoldering. The Obama administration - including former secretary of state Hillary Clinton - has come under intense scrutiny over the attacks, as critics say there were gross security and Continue Reading

Renegade Amish group charged with hate crimes in beard-cutting attacks in Ohio

Twelve members of a renegade Amish group were charged with hate crimes in the bizarre beard-cutting attacks on other members of the sect in eastern Ohio, the Department of Justice said Tuesday. Samuel Mullet and 11 members of his group also face charges of conspiracy, assault and tampering with evidence in the case that has drawn worldwide attention to the insular community. Mullet and six of his followers were jailed in late November and five additional suspects were arrested this week. The rebel Amish leader told the AP after his arrest in November that the attacks were to send a message to other Amish about how they treat his followers. "They changed the rulings of our church here, and they're trying to force their way down our throat, make us do like they want us to do, and we're not going to do that," he said. Prosecutors say Mullet and his followers forcibly cut women’s hair and men's beards and hair using battery-powered clippers or scissors in five attacks between September and November. The Amish believe the Bible instructs them to grow their hair after marriage. They also allegedly injured people who tried to protect or rescue the victims from the offensive attacks and then conspired to conceal evidence. In addition to the widely reported assaults, prosecutors say that the men placed over-the-counter medication in one of the victim's drinks meant to sicken him. “One of our most fundamental rights is freedom of religion," Stephen Anthony, special agent in charge of the FBI at Cleveland Field Office, said in a statement. "The FBI, along with our law enforcement partners, are committed to protecting this fundamental right against those who would use violence and intimidation to attack it." Mullet denied ordering the attacks to the AP, but admits he did nothing to stop them. If convicted, the defendants face life in prison for the hate-crime charge alone. "For nearly 500 years, people have come to this land so that Continue Reading

Massive terror attack foiled in Afghanistan: officials

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan security forces have arrested five militants with 10 metric tons (11 tons) of explosives that they had brought from Pakistan to use to carry out a massive attack in Kabul, as well as another three planning an assassination attempt against the vice president, an official said Saturday. The reports of new planned attacks in the Afghan capital came a week after militants said to be part of a Pakistan-based group launched brazen coordinated assaults in the heart of Kabul and in other cities. U.S. officials say they have stepped up pressure on Islamabad to crack down on that group, the Haqqani network, which specializes in high-profile strikes against well-protected targets. Three of the five men arrested with the 10 tons were members of the Pakistani Taliban, while the other two belonged to the Afghan Taliban, National Director for Security spokesman Shafiqullah Tahiry said at a news conference. He said their orders came from militant leaders with ties to Pakistani intelligence. He did not say when the arrests took place, nor what their intended target was. “Imagine if 10,000 kilograms of explosives, which was already inside Kabul” had exploded, “what a disaster could have happened,” Tahiry said. Tahiry said the captured explosives were in 400 bags and hidden under potatoes loaded in a truck with Pakistani license plates. S. Sabawoon/EPA Afghan security officials check vehicle at the checkpoint on a roadside in Kabul, Afghanistan, 21 April 2012. Afghanistan's intelligence agency on 21 April said it had foiled a massive attack on Kabul after seizing 10,000 kilograms of explosives hidden in a truck and arresting five suspects. According to Tahiry, the men confessed that they “had planned to carry out a terrorist attack in a key point in Kabul city.” He claimed that the three Pakistani members of the group picked up the explosives just outside the Pakistani city of Peshawar, and Continue Reading

Marion Cotillard: Sept. 11 remarks taken out of context

In what's either a heart-felt apology or the best performance since she won an Oscar last week, French actress Marion Cotillard downplayed remarks she made in a television interview calling into question the official account of the Sept. 11 attacks.Backtracking from remarks from a television interview last year that resurfaced over the weekend, a spokesman said the 32-year-old French actress, who won an Academy Award for her portrayal of singer Edith Piaf in "La Vie en Rose," was sorry for any misunderstanding. "Marion never intended to contest nor question the attacks of September 11, 2001, and regrets the way old remarks have been taken out of context," Cotillard's Paris-based lawyer Vincent Tolesano told a British newspaper.Those "old remarks" came in a Feb. 2007 with the French channel Paris Première, in which the actress and Green Peace activist accused the United States government of lying about a number of major events, including the Sept. 11 attacks. "We see other towers of the same kind hit by planes. Are they burned?" Cotillard had said in the interview. "There was a tower, I believe it was in Spain, that burnt for 24 hours. It never collapsed. None of these towers collapsed. Expanding her conspiracy theory, Cotillard said it would have been "a lot more expensive" to rebuild the towers "which is why they were destroyed", with the loss of thousands of American lives. Tensions between France and the United States have been strained since the start of the War in Iraq in 2003.Cotillard will have to clear up the international incident quickly: She's scheduled to start filming the movie, "Public Enemies," with Johnny Depp, in Chicago next week. Join the Conversation: Continue Reading