Everything you need to know about March for Our Lives

Students, teachers, parents and their allies will converge on the nation's capital next weekend to rally for gun control and school safety measures in the wake of last month's shooting in a Florida high school. Thousands of people from across the country are expected to participate in the "March for Our Lives," organized by students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where a gunman killed 17 people and injured others on Valentine's Day. The accused shooter, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, was a former student at the school and was armed with an AR-15-style rifle he had legally purchased a year ago, authorities said. Now, students around the country -- using the slogan "Never Again" -- are calling on lawmakers to make schools safer and enact tougher gun control laws, such as prohibiting the sale of high-capacity magazines and banning the high-powered, highly-lethal assault-style weapons often used in mass shootings . Here's everything you need to know about the upcoming "March for Our Lives." When is the march? " March for Our Lives " will begin at noon ET on Saturday, more than five weeks after the deadly school shooting. There have been other events in support of the shooting survivors, including a National School Walkout on March 14 that lasted for 17 minutes to honor those killed a month earlier in Parkland and to protest gun violence across the country. Where is the march? The main "March for Our Lives" event will take place in Washington, D.C., beginning on Pennsylvania Avenue between 3rd Street NW and 12th Street NW. But there are hundreds of satellite marches , or "sibling marches," planned for the same day around the world. Each sibling march is an independent, student-led initiative, according to the "March for Our Lives" official website. There are sibling marches planned in cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Boston, Ottawa, Buenos Aires, Madrid, Paris, Dublin, London, Berlin, Stockholm, Rome, Tel Aviv, Mumbai, Continue Reading

Missing teen found in Mexico and heading home: Mother

The 16-year-old teen who vanished more two weeks ago after taking a one-way flight to Cancun, Mexico with a 45-year-old married man has been found and have been returned back to the United States, authorities and her family said.Amy Yu was located at a Mexican resort town on Saturday night, ABC News confirmed after speaking briefly with Yu's mom. "I'm really happy. Please let everyone know," she told ABC News.Yu along with Kevin Esterly, 45, have been missing since March 5, and when the girl did not return home from school that night, her mother reported her missing, the Allentown Police Department said.Amy was believed to have willingly accompanied Kevin Esterly, 45, out of the country on a one-way flight by way of Dallas, Texas.The pair were together at the coastal destination Playa del Carmen, in the state of Quintana Roo, according to a U.S. Department of Homeland Security Investigations release.Once authorities from the U.S. Marshals Service and Mexican federal investigators pinpointed the pair, according to the release, Esterly was placed into Mexican custody and they were flown to Miami, Florida.Esterly is expected to be turned over to Miami Police Department and then extradited to Allentown where he is facing a felony charge of custodial interference. "HSI is happy that United States citizen, Amy Yu, a 16-year-old juvenile runaway, has been safely returned to Pennsylvania," said Marlon Miller, special agent in charge of the HSI Philadelphia.Allentown Police Chief Glen Dorney stated, "Amy is unharmed and in good health" and that once Yu is back stateside she would be "reunited with her mother."Authorities said he withdrew $4,000 from his wife Stacey's bank account and signed the youth out of the school--falsely claiming to be her stepfather.The dragnet to recover Yu and apprehend Esterly was extensive.It was capped by the Mexican government issuing a March 15 Amber Alert.ABC News' Emily Shapiro contribute to this report. Continue Reading

Trump administration wildlife council mostly hunting advocates

A federal government council made up mostly of hunters and hunting advocates met for the first time Friday to begin its efforts to advise the interior secretary on how to improve public awareness of the benefits of international recreational hunting. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke created the International Wildlife Conservation Council in November to provide recommendations on conservation issues, specifically to tout the role of hunters in conservation and increase public awareness of "economic benefits that result from U.S. citizens traveling abroad to hunt," according to a press release . The majority of the 16 council members have a connection to trophy hunting or groups that advocate for hunting as a way to support conservation, according to a federal database of government advisory committees. Six of the members are listed as "U.S. hunters actively engaged in international and/or domestic hunting conservation," in the official list of committee members. Others are listed as affiliated with wildlife and habitat conservation organizations like Safari Club International, other groups related to international hunting, and some have connections to firearms manufacturers or the National Rifle Association . Several animal advocacy groups said in their public comments that the council is biased and does not include members with a scientific expertise in conservation. "Built on the backs of hunters and anglers, the American conservation model proves to be the example for all nations to follow for wildlife and habitat conservation," Zinke said in that press release. "The conservation and long-term health of big game crosses international boundaries. This council will provide important insight into the ways that American sportsmen and women benefit international conservation from boosting economies and creating hundreds of jobs to enhancing wildlife conservation." Zinke is an avid hunter and has said that he wants to expand access to hunting and fishing on public Continue Reading

Russia prepares for election, and another Putin victory

Moscow -- Alexey Navalny thought he'd be in jail by now. Russia's presidential election is tomorrow and the opposition leader, along with many other observers, expected he'd spend it behind bars. But the Kremlin's most troublesome opponent, known for his investigations exposing officials' alleged corrupt wealth and who is backed by a grassroots movement he has brought onto the streets against President Vladimir Putin in unusually large numbers in the past year, will likely be free -- and apparently out of the way when Russian voters go to the polls. In February, he was charged -- as often happens -- for holding an unauthorized protest. Surprisingly, though, he was not immediately given the standard 30-day sentence, leaving him free but uncertain about when he may be jailed again. Not that being locked up would be new for Navalny, who says he has spent 60 days incarcerated in the past year. A volunteer at his headquarters checks the websites of Moscow's courts every day to make sure authorities have not scheduled a surprise hearing. "It's useless to analyze it," Navalny said in an interview with ABC News this week at the Moscow office of his organization, the Anti-Corruption Fund. "Everyone thought I was going to be arrested last week, but I was not. No one understands why. Maybe I will be arrested tomorrow. Maybe the police will be waiting for me after this interview." As of Saturday afternoon, Navalny had not been arrested again. Navalny may be a free man, but he has been removed from the presidential race. For a year he ran what he called a presidential campaign, touring Russia's regions and building up a movement of tens of thousands of volunteers around calls for free elections and condemning corruption. But in January he was barred from the ballot over a fraud conviction from 2013, a charge he says is trumped up. The European Court of Human Rights ruled, too, that the judgment was arbitrary. Navalny's exclusion reflects a broader feature of the controls Continue Reading

Facebook blocks data group tied to 2016 Trump campaign

Cambridge Analytica, the London-based political data analytics firm tied to Donald Trump's presidential campaign , has been suspended from Facebook, the social media giant announced late Friday. The company was a key partner for the Trump campaign's digital operation in 2016. Questions have been raised about the digital operations surrounding the Trump Campaign and Republican Party efforts during the last campaign cycle. Under the suspension, Cambridge Analytica is blocked from Facebook and cannot buy ads on the site. The decision, said Facebook, comes in light of newly resurfaced questions surrounding a possible violation to agreement made between Facebook and Cambridge Analytica involving the access, use, and distribution of hundreds of thousands of Facebook user's personal data. Facebook offered an explanation of how they arrived at the decision, and why. "In 2015, we learned that a psychology professor at the University of Cambridge named Dr. Aleksandr Kogan lied to us and violated our Platform Policies by passing data from an app that was using Facebook Login to SCL/Cambridge Analytica, a firm that does political, government and military work around the globe. He also passed that data to Christopher Wylie of Eunoia Technologies, Inc.," Vice President & Deputy General Counsel for Facebook Paul Grewal wrote. Grewal explained that, as any app developer would do, Kogan requested and garnered access to information from individuals after users chose to download his app. The app, "thisisyourdigitallife," according to Grewal, "...offered a personality prediction, and billed itself on Facebook as 'a research app used by psychologists.'" "Approximately 270,000 people downloaded the app," Grewal stated. "In so doing, they gave their consent for Kogan to access information such as the city they set on their profile, or content they had liked, as well as more limited information about friends who had their privacy settings set to allow it," he added. "Several days Continue Reading

Retrievers, Rookies, Boo Boo’s, and Bricks: Kings 98, Warriors 93

Last night as the Warriors and Kings were about to square off at the Oracle, the University of Maryland-Baltimore County (UMBC) was pulling off one of the biggest upsets in sports history.  UMBC, a 16th seed in the NCAA college basketball tournament was picked to lose to the University of Virginia, the tournament’s #1 overall seed, by 20 points.  Instead, the Retrievers, who are known more for their chess tournament prowess (16 national championships) than their basketball program, routed the Cavaliers by 20 points, a 40 point differential. It was the first time a #1 seed has ever lost in the opening round.  Until last night, #16 seeds were 0-135 all-time against #1 seeds.  Back in Oakland, the Kings were hoping to pull off an upset of their own, and they succeeded. With the Warriors top three scorers Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, and Klay Thompson out with injuries (a combined 72 points in street clothes), the Kings’ win was really not a big surprise.  But for a young team like the Kings, beating the Warriors twice on their home floor in one season serves as a confidence booster, even though Curry and Durant played in neither game.  For the Warriors, the loss dropped them another game in the loss column against the Houston Rockets. About 90 minutes before tipoff, it was announced that Kevin Durant will be out for at least two weeks due to what is called an incomplete rib cartilage fracture. Then, in the second quarter of last night’s game, Omri Casspi sprained his ankle after coming down from a hook shot in the key on David West’s foot.   The sprain appears to be serious.  In the past two weeks, seven Warriors have been injured:  Curry, West, Thompson, Jordan Bell, Andre Iguodala, Durant, and Casspi.  With 13 games to go, the Warriors are 2.5 games behind the Rockets (essentially 4 games because of the tie breaker) and 9.5 games ahead of the third seed in the Western Conference.  The Continue Reading

Engineer reported cracks in Florida bridge days before collapse: Officials

An engineer at the firm that designed the ill-fated Florida International University pedestrian bridge left a message for state a state transportation official days before the deadly collapse, saying that he had observed a crack in the bridge -- but the message wasn't heard until after the span fell, officials said. The worker at FIGG Bridge Engineers left a landline voicemail for an employee of the Florida Department of Transportation on Tuesday, saying he saw some cracking on the bridge but was not concerned from a safety perspective, according to FDOT. The employee for whom the message was intended was out of the office on assignment and didn't retrieve the message until he returned to the office on Friday, said FDOT officials who released the recorded message and a transcript. "Calling to, uh, share with you some information about the FIU pedestrian bridge and some cracking that's been observed on the north end of the span, the pylon end of that span we moved this weekend," the FIGG engineer said in the message. "Um, so, uh, we've taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done but from a safety perspective we don't see that there's any issue there so we're not concerned about it from that perspective although obviously the cracking is not good and something's going to have to be, ya know, done to repair that." FDOT said the FIU design-build team has solely responsible to identify and address life-safety issues and to notify DOT. "At no point during any of the communications above did FIGG or any member of the FIU design build team ever communicate a life-safety issue," FDOT said in an email Friday. Despite the unheard voicemail, FIU released a statement after midnight on Saturday saying they held a meeting Thursday morning about the cracking in which FIGG engineers, FIU and FDOT representatives were present. "On Thursday morning (March 15, 2018), at 9:00 a.m., theDesign Build Team of MCM and FIGG, convened a meeting at the Continue Reading

Russia expels 23 UK diplomats in tit-for-tat over spy’s poisoning

MOSCOW -- Russia expelled 23 British diplomats on Saturday in a tit-for-tat response to the U.K.'s expulsion of 23 Russian embassy staff over the nerve-agent attack in England last week. Russia's foreign ministry said in a statement it had summoned U.K. ambassador Laurie Bristow to inform him that the 23 diplomats were now "persona non grata" and had a week to leave. The ministry announced it was also closing the British consulate in Saint Petersburg and withdrawing the right of the British Council, a body that promotes British culture and language, to operate in Russia. The Russian foreign ministry said it was taking the measures in response to what it called the U.K.'s "provocative actions and unfounded accusations" over the poisoning case. The expulsion marks the latest turn in a confrontation between Russia and the U.K. following the poisoning of former Russian spy Sergey Skripal and his daughter Yulia in the southern English town of Salisbury. The U.K. has accused Russia of bearing responsibility for the attack, which British officials say involved a military-grade nerve agent of a type developed secretly by Russia. British Prime Minister Theresa May has also cut off high-level contacts with Russia and has been trying to build support among the U.K.'s allies for potential fresh sanctions to punish Russia. Speaking after being briefed by the U.K. ambassador, May said her government had anticipated the Russian response and said: "We will consider our next steps in the coming days, alongside our allies and partners." "But Russia's response doesn't change the facts of the matter," May told the Conservative Party Spring Forum in London. "The attempted assassination of two people on British soil, for which there is no alternative conclusion other than that the Russian State was culpable. It is Russia that is in flagrant breach of international law and the Chemical Weapons Convention ." Russia has denied the U.K.'s allegations, accusing Britain of using the Continue Reading

37-year-old construction worker among bridge collapse victims

A 37-year-old construction worker is among the victims of the Florida bridge collapse that killed at least six people on Thursday.Navaro Brown was one of three workers from VSL Structural Technologies working at the bridge when the massive structure crumbled to the busy Miami street below, spokesman Mike Biesiada told ABC News. Brown was killed, and his two colleagues are in the hospital, Biesiada said.VSL Structural Technologies is a concrete support supplier and installer whose product was used during construction, Biesiada said.The bridge was erected last weekend and was touted by Florida International University to be the first of its kind. It stretched over Southwest 8th Street on the FIU campus at 109th Street, a busy intersection where a student was killed last year while crossing the street.Two members of the Sweetwater Police Department who were among the first to arrive at the scene said they found four unconscious construction workers in the rubble and attempted to revive them, they told ABC News.Sgt. Adrian Mesa and Sgt. Jenna Mendez said they used backboards to pull the workers off the bridge. It is unclear if the VSL employees were among those Mesa and Mendez pulled out.The death toll may rise as responders work to sift through the wreckage and potentially find more victims inside crushed vehicles, officials said on Friday."The engineers are working at it in a very tactical way," Alvaro Zabaleta, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade Police Department, said in a press conference. "The structure is fragile and could be dangerous to rescue personnel."The cause of the collapse remains under investigation.ABC News' Emily Shapiro, Rachel Katz and Victor Oquendo contributed to this report. Continue Reading

Worker hurt in bridge collapse thinks locking in harness saved his life: Cousin

When a worker at the newly installed bridge near Florida International University heard cracking, he immediately locked in his harness -- an action he thinks saved his life, according to his cousin. Carlos Chapman, who was injured when the bridge collapsed Thursday, is "being very repetitive and doesn't remember much of what happened," his cousin, Jayleen Gutierrez, told ABC News today. "All he really remembers is hearing a cracking noise and immediately locking in his harness," she said. "Seconds after that, he fell. He said if it weren't for that harness, he would have easily died." Chapman suffered a shoulder fracture and underwent surgery on his nose, mouth and eye, Gutierrez said. "He is still in disbelief and is in denial about what happened," Gutierrez said. "However, he will be OK. We are all praying for him, and glad he is still here with us." Six people were killed and many others injured when the bridge crumbled, trapping cars beneath it. FIU had touted the bridge as one of the first of its kind, tweeting that it swung into place Saturday. The cause of the collapse remains under investigation. Continue Reading