Most Americans think Trump is racist, new poll says

By The Washington Post | March 1, 2018 at 5:50 am By Marwa Eltagouri, (c) 2018, The Washington Post WASHINGTON – Most Americans think President Donald Trump is a racist, according to a new poll by the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. More than half of adults think his policies have worsened the lives of Muslims and Hispanics, while almost half believe the president has worsened the lives of African Americans. Of the 57 percent of adults who say the nation’s leader is a racist, 8 in 10 are black, three-quarters are Hispanic and almost half are white. About 85 percent of Democrats say Trump is a racist, while 21 percent of Republicans say the same, according to the poll, which surveyed 1,337 adults from Feb. 15 to 19. Experts say the findings should not come as a surprise considering America’s polarized views on race, as well as Trump’s divisive remarks in crucial moments last year as racial tensions came to a boil. When a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August left a woman dead and several others injured, many in the nation expected the president to condemn the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazis and other hate groups that organized the rally. Trump did, albeit belatedly, but then also said “there’s blame on both sides.” “You had a group on one side that was bad and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent,” he said at the time. “No one wants to say that, but I’ll say it right now: You had a group on the other side that came charging in without a permit and they were very, very violent.” The idea that Trump is a racist isn’t new, as he had a history of actions and comments perceived to be discriminatory toward people of color that spans four decades. For example, he was sued by the federal government in the 1970s for turning black tenants away from his buildings. As president, he has continued to question whether Barack Obama, Continue Reading

California immigrant rights group says ICE is holding Vietnamese in limbo

Christopher Lapinig, of Asian Americans Advancing Justice, address the media during a press conference about a lawsuit filed against ICE to stop incarceration of Vietnamese refugees in Santa Ana on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG) Tung Nguyen hangs his head as he listens to a press conference about a lawsuit filed against ICE to stop incarceration of Vietnamese refugees in Santa Ana on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018. According to Nguyen, he has a removal order from October 2011. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG) Tung Nguyen talks with the media after a press conference about a lawsuit filed against ICE to stop incarceration of Vietnamese refugees in Santa Ana on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018. According to Nguyen, he has a removal order from October 2011. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG) Phi Nguyen, of Asian Americans Advancing Justice, address the media during a press conference about a lawsuit filed against ICE to stop incarceration of Vietnamese refugees in Santa Ana on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG) Tung Nguyen hangs his head as he listens to a press conference about a lawsuit filed against ICE to stop incarceration of Vietnamese refugees in Santa Ana on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018. According to Nguyen, he has a removal order from October 2011. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG) Tuan Uong, an attorney with Reed Smith, address the media during a press conference about a lawsuit filed against ICE to stop incarceration of Vietnamese refugees in Santa Ana on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2018. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG) Show Caption of Expand By Roxana Kopetman | PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:47 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:48 am Hoang Trinh was four years old when he arrived from Vietnam, part of a large Catholic family that fled a war-torn homeland to build a new life together Continue Reading

Monterey County woman pleads guilty to murder, torture of two children found in storage unit

By Tommy Wright | Monterey County Herald March 1, 2018 at 5:32 am Salinas – Tami Huntsman pleaded guilty to all charges Wednesday in the double murder and torture case of two children found dead in a Redding storage unit after she signed a plea agreement the night prior in which the prosecution agreed not to seek the death penalty. Huntsman, 42, and her partner Gonzalo Curiel, 20, have been awaiting trial for more than two years in the torture and deaths of Shaun Tara, 6, and his 3-year old sister Delylah, whose bodies were found in December 2015, as well as the child abuse and torture of their sister, who was 9 years old at the time. “She’s going to die in prison, there will be no further appeals, no further litigation,” said Berkley Brannon, Monterey County’s chief assistant district attorney. “And we were able to save the children in this case from having to testify in two separate proceedings. So justice was done.” Prosecutors previously said they planned on three or four children testifying, including the 9-year-old victim. In addition to the three victims, Huntsman had three other children in her custody who were her birth children. Huntsman waived her right to legally challenge or appeal her conviction and sentence at a later time as part of the plea deal. Since the case was introduced, the Monterey County DA’s Office tried to get a quick trial so the child witnesses could get on with their lives. Brannon said it wasn’t viable for the children to testify twice, adding it will be hard enough for them to testify once — presumably in the Curiel case since the two cases were separated. “The pain after testimony and then the anxiety knowing that you’re going to have to do it again, and now you know what it’s like,” Brannon said. “All the advice that we got, and I’m talking about medical advice, said you can’t.” Judge Pamela Butler read from the plea Continue Reading

Palo Alto: Council OKs 16 homes on controversial Maybell site

By Kevin Kelly | [email protected] | Bay Area News Group PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:42 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:49 am Without fanfare, the Palo Alto City Council this week approved a residential subdivision at the Maybell Avenue site that became a battleground five years ago when the council authorized construction of an affordable senior housing complex and a dozen multi-story houses. The council voted 8-1 Monday, with Cory Wolbach dissenting, to allow Golden Gate Homes LLC to build 16 two-story houses that range from 5,000 to 6,144 square feet at the corner of Maybell and Clemo avenues in the Green Acres neighborhood. The council approved Golden Gate’s preliminary map of the project in May 2016. Wolbach said he opposed the map then and the project now because it doesn’t include any affordable housing. Although the 2.46-acre project is supposed to produce the equivalent of 2.4 below-market units under Palo Alto’s housing requirements, the council allowed Golden Gate Homes to pay in-lieu fees totaling about $7 million after the developer contended building them wouldn’t financially pencil out. The Palo Alto Housing Corporation, which previously owned the site, had received the council’s approval in 2013 to construct 12 multiple-story houses of between 1,900 and 2,400 square feet, as well as a four-story, 60-unit affordable housing complex for seniors. Sales proceeds from the single-family homes would have helped subsidize the seniors complex, according to Candice Gonzalez, Palo Alto Housing’s president and CEO. But a group of residents who argued the project would generate too much traffic, conflict with the neighborhood’s character and lower property values succeeded in getting a special election that resulted in voters overturning the council’s decision. Gonzalez expressed disappointment with this week’s council decision. “It was very painful to watch just 16 Continue Reading

Putin: Russia’s new nuclear weapons can avoid any missiles

By The Washington Post | PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:28 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:29 am By Anton Troianovski, (c) 2018, The Washington Post MOSCOW – Russia has developed nuclear weapons that can avoid any missile defense systems and plans to bolster its arsenal with nuclear-powered cruise missiles capable of hitting any point on the globe, President Vladimir Putin claimed in his annual address to lawmakers Thursday. He also warned that Moscow would consider any nuclear attack, of any size, on it or its allies an attack on Russia that would lead to an immediate response – adopting Cold War-style overtones that appeared to ramp up Russia’s posturing against the West and its allies. Putin’s speech – which began with a rundown of domestic projects – quickly veered into a harsh rendering of East-West tensions and boasts over purported major advances in Russia’s arsenal such as a nuclear-powered cruise missile that could strike anywhere. Putin did not specify any of Moscow’s allies that it would defend or cite any immediate threats. But his remarks could be seen as a message to Washington over souring relations with Moscow, including U.S. investigations into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Putin said the United States had failed to take Russia’s nuclear might seriously or to adequately negotiate arms control. U.S. efforts to contain Russia, he said, had failed. “No one listened to us,” Putin said. “Listen to us now.” Putin claimed that late last year, Russia had successfully tested a cruise missile that was propelled by a nuclear-powered engine. This engine gave the cruise missile practically unlimited range, distinguishing it from existing cruise missiles. The missile would be able to fly close to the ground and follow an unpredictable flight path, rendering existing missile defenses “useless,” Putin said. Tests of the technology “will allow Continue Reading

Cartoons: Trump claims he would have rushed into school to stop shooter

Nick Anderson / Washington Post Bill Day / Tallahassee, FL Steve Sack / The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, MN Milt Priggee / Oak Harbor, WA John Darkow / Columbia Missourian Randall Enos / Easton, CT Dave Granlund / Minnesota Jeff Danziger / Rutland Herald Sean Delonas / RJ Matson / Portland, ME Steve Benson / Creators Syndicate Tom Toles / Washington Post Kevin Siers / The Charlotte Observer, NC David Fitzsimmons / The Arizona Star, Tucson, AZ Mike Luckovich / Creators Syndicate Show Caption of Expand By Bay Area News Group | PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:45 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:50 am On Monday, President Donald Trump said that he would have rushed into a Florida high school to stop a shooter that killed 17 students on Feb. 14. According to the Washington Post: “‘ I really believe I’d run in, even if I didn’t have a weapon,’ Trump said during a White House meeting with governors from across the country, adding that he thinks the governors assembled also would have rushed into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. ‘You never know until you’re tested,’ he added.” The paper also reported: “Trump has been highly critical of former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson, who remained outside the school during the Feb. 14 massacre in Parkland, Florida. Peterson resigned last week.” See what cartoonists from around the country are saying about Trump’s bravado. Continue Reading

Menlo Park: Facebook’s work force will equal city’s population

By Kevin Kelly | [email protected] | PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:36 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:50 am When its properties in Menlo Park are fully built out, Facebook will have roughly as many employees as the city has residents, a representative of the social media giant said this week. Facebook executive John Tenanes divulged that information Monday during a Planning Commission discussion of the company’s new 59-acre campus that will accommodate an additional 9,500 workers. Tenanes said Facebook intends to employ approximately 35,000 people east of Highway 101 by the time all construction is finished. Menlo Park’s population last year was 35,670, according to California Department of Finance figures. The newest campus, dubbed Willow Village, will be constructed in four phases. Some offices will be occupied by 2021 and all by  2025. Willow Village, which will be constructed between Bayfront Expressway and roughly O’Brien Drive from Willow Road to University Avenue, consists of 1.75 million square feet of offices; a minimum of 1,500 housing units, including at least 225 below market rate; 126,500 square feet of retail including a grocery store and pharmacy; 200 hotel rooms; and 18 acres of open space, of which eight are to be publicly accessible. It will also include approximately 5,300 parking spaces and a cultural/visitor center at the corner of Willow Road and the Dumbarton corridor. The first phase, to be completed in 2021, will entail one-third of the offices and housing units, as well as the retail spaces. Some community members, while lauding the planned retail amenities and Facebook’s phased-construction approach, said they fear the project will exacerbate the area’s jobs/housing balance. For instance, while housing and offices would open at the same time, there would be roughly 3,150 new jobs in 2021 compared to 500 housing units. “We’re still pushing the jobs/housing imbalance,” Continue Reading

Storm delivers rain to Bay Area, leads to blizzard warning for Sierra Nevada

By Mark Gomez | [email protected] | Bay Area News Group PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:53 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:57 am The Bay Area went nearly the entire month of February before it received a good soaking. As the region turned the calendar to March, widespread rain was already falling across the region. A potent storm is moving across Northern California on Thursday, a system that has the potential to deliver more precipitation to the Bay Area in one day than all of last month. As of 5:30 a.m., overnight rainfall totals around the Bay Area include San Francisco .48 inches, Oakland .36 and San Jose .17. The North Bay has seen the majority of the rain, with some of the wettest locations recording as much as 2 inches, according to the weather service. The Sierra Nevada may be the biggest beneficiary of the storm. The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for the Sierra from Thursday morning to Friday morning, where as much 5 feet of snow is expected in the Tahoe area. Periods of heavy rain could last through Thursday afternoon, with lingering showers through Saturday, Bell said. Rainfall totals on Thursday are expected to range between a half-inch to 1.5 inches, which would be the wettest day in the Bay Area in several weeks. The only day so far this year with more than 1 inch of rain was Jan. 8, when San Francisco recorded 3.15 inches, Oakland 2.56 and San Jose 1.40. February concluded as one of the driest on record in the Bay Area. San Francisco endured the 13th driest February in 168 years of records with .42 inches of rain, half of which fell in the final few hours of the month Wednesday night. San Jose ended February with .17 inches this month, which ranks as the sixth driest February in 125 years of records. For the water year, which began Oct. 1, rainfall totals across Northern California generally range from 40 to 60 percent of normal, including Oakland (53 percent), San Francisco (49 percent) and San Jose (44).Two Continue Reading

Kurtenbach: Why the Warriors winning their final 24 games isn’t as far fetched as you might think

By Dieter Kurtenbach | [email protected] | Bay Area News Group PUBLISHED: March 1, 2018 at 5:00 am | UPDATED: March 1, 2018 at 5:22 am The Warriors have won four straight games coming out of the All-Star break, but Klay Thompson wants more. Many more. Twenty more wins, in a row, to be exact. After the Warriors’ 109-101 win over the Washington Wizards on Wednesday, Thompson said that the Warriors want to run the table over their final 20 games of the regular season. “We’re really want to try to win every game going into the playoffs, and while that might be unrealistic, it would be nice to do that,” Thompson said. And while, of course, the Warriors are trying to win every game, and yes, it goes without saying that it’d be nice for the Warriors to win every game remaining on their schedule, but looking at that upcoming slate of contests, it doesn’t seem outlandish to think that Golden State could to head into the playoffs with 24 straight wins under their belt. Now I could explain this by telling you that the Warriors will play Atlanta and Sacramento twice and Phoenix three times to end the season — and that those games should be considered seven wins in the bag, right away, as those teams are actively trying to lose as the NBA’s great tanking race continues — but that doesn’t add up to 24-straight wins. Or I could also tell you that the Warriors have made it a priority to focus in these post-All-Star-game contests, and that when Golden State focuses against inferior opponents (which is just about everyone), they’re close to unbeatable.Or I could tell you that the Warriors have only four back-to-backs remaining on the schedule and that three of them feature the Suns on the second leg. (Two of the back-to-backs are comprised of games against the Kings and Suns.) Or I could tell you that the Warriors only have seven games against playoff-caliber teams with their full complement of Continue Reading

Notre Dame-Belmont cheerful after USA Spirit Nationals

The Notre Dame-Belmont pom squad returned from Anaheim this weekend as the 2018 Large Varsity Song/Pom Novice USA Spirit National Champions. The 12-member squad includes: (front row) Isabelle Collins, Emily Fletcher, Patti Chen, Jordan Toms, Emily Joss, Abby Rossi and Lilliana LoGiudice, plus (back row) Charlotte de Arantes Oliveira, Eliana Oro, Danay Barden, Kerrianne Hines and Mary Cost. (Courtesy photo) The Notre Dame-Belmont cheer squad returned from Anaheim this weekend as third-place finishers in the Medium Varsity Show Cheer Novice Division at the USA Spring Natiionals. The 16-member squad includes: (front row) Ruby Lewis, Olivia Mason and Sophia Vandeveld; (middle row) Lakin Walsh, Kristen Carpio, Paige Ivancich, Zoe Spencer, Katie Staas and Abby Silk; (back row) Alysa Villanueva, Tatiana Beck, Leilani Gellner, Celeste Crews, McKenzie Rees, Ariel Jimenez and Emma Sponsler. (Courtesy photo) Show Caption of Expand By Vytas Mazeika | [email protected] | Bay Area News Group March 1, 2018 at 5:05 am BELMONT — If there’s one thing Pam Stilleson understands as program director of cheer & pom at Notre Dame-Belmont, it’s that all competitions lead to the USA Spirit Nationals held over the weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center. “It’s the place to be,” said Stilleson, in her 19th season with the Tigers. “It’s been a really fun time for a long time,” she added. “And this was a great weekend.” The 16-member varsity cheer squad went undefeated during regional competitions at Tracy, Union City and Antioch to earn an invitation to the USA Spirit Nationals, where Notre Dame claimed back-to-back national titles in 2010 and 2011. “We usually always make finals, which is a big accomplishment in itself,” Stilleson said. This time around, among a field of 21 other schools, the Tigers took bronze in the Medium Varsity Show Cheer Novice Division. The team is Continue Reading