MOSCOW (AP) — Kazakhstan’s influential former leader released a short video on Tuesday in which he talked about the violent unrest that engulfed the ex-Soviet nation earlier this month and rejected reports alleging that he fled the country amid tensions with the current president.
It was the first time that Nursultan Nazarbayev, who ran Kazakhstan for 29 years after it gained independence and kept an influential post after stepping down as president in 2019, spoke publicly about the protests and the bloodshed they descended into.
Nazarbayev also denied that there were tensions between him and his hand-picked successor, President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev. Some speculated that a rift between the two could have played a role in exacerbating the unrest.
Protests in Kazakhstan, an oil and gas-rich nation of 19 million in Central Asia, began on Jan. 2 in a small western town over the near-doubling of fuel prices. But they quickly spread across the vast country, growing into a general protest against the authoritarian government and turning into violent riots that killed over 220 people.
Tokayev sought to calm the crowds by announcing a 180-day cap on fuel prices and removing Nazarbayev as head of the National Security Council, an influential post he occupied since stepping down. The move was seen by some as an attempt to end the former leader's patronage that had ignited tensions among Kazakhstan’s ruling elite, further fueling the unrest.
In his video address Tuesday, Nazarbayev, 81, rejected these allegations. "There is no conflict or confrontation within the country's elite. The rumours in this regard are completely groundless," he said.
He also brushed off reports that claimed he had fled the country, and backed Tokayev’s move to take over as head of the National Security Council.
"In 2019, I handed over the presidential authority to Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, and have ever since been a retiree, currently enjoying retirement in the capital of Kazakhstan, having never left anywhere. President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has the full power, he's the chairman of the Security Council," Nazarbayev said.
According to Kazastan’s officials, 227 people died in the violence, including 19 police officers and servicemen. Saturday’s toll of 225 rose on Tuesday, when the country’s Health Minister Azhar Giniyat said two more people who were injured in the unrest died in the hospital.
More than 4,300 people were injured, and thousands have been detained by authorities.
To quell the unrest, Tokayev requested help from the Russia-led military alliance, the Collective Security Treaty Organization, which is made up of six former Soviet nations. The bloc sent more than 2,000 troops to Kazakhstan and withdrew them after several days.
- Judge rejects Amber Heard's request to keep Johnny Depp away from her Yorkshire Terrier Pistol... who was a gift from her ex-girlfriend
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: Washington nears coronavirus relief deal
- Ex-Chancellor Philip Hammond warns government MUST find a way to get Britain back to work and publish exit plan as it considers relaxing 'stay at home' rules to let 'bubble' of friends meet for meals, share childcare and reunite couples who live apart
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House clears virus package; Trump breaks with Fauci
- Coronavirus latest: EU leaders hold video summit over economic woes
- Coronavirus latest: EU leaders want large recovery fund, stall on details
- This Is What It Was Like Learning To Report Before Fake News Was The Biggest Problem In The World
- El-Zakzaky, wife need urgent medical attention abroad – Experts
- RA's ability to deliver broadcast deal can keep unhappy ex-captains at bay
- China sent team including medical experts to advise on Kim Jong Un: Report
- Coronavirus live updates: 51 cases reported at Safeway distribution center in Tracy
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump, Congress close to deal on new coronavirus bill
- The murders most foul: Almost 50 years after a crime that led police to question male celebrities... is the bunny girl killer still on the loose?
- Trump lays out gradual reopening of US as China faces virus fire
- Donald Trump, Xi Jinping agree to ceasefire in tariff war after G20 dinner date, as US goes it alone on climate change
- Following Xi Jinping Thought on Diplomacy to build a community with a shared future for mankind through international cooperation against COVID-19
- Will stand by Maldives in this ‘challenging time’: PM Modi tells President Solih
- UK government REMOVES China from its official coronavirus death toll comparison amid global outrage at Beijing's 'cover-up' and disbelief that the country has only had 4,636 deaths
- Manic Street Preachers' Richey Edwards 'staged disappearance' as vital clues throw up bombshell theory
- The Stoner Arms Dealers: How Two American Kids Became Big-Time Weapons Traders
|Montres De Luxe Women's EX L 8303 Estremo Quartz Pink Dial Watch5.0★ / $235||Montres De Luxe Women's EX L 9203 Estremo Quartz Pink Dial Watch1.0★ / $1350||Roger Dubuis Men's EX 45 79 9 9.71R Excalibur Black Watch5.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Inask Heavy Duty Back Cover Case Cute for Iphone 5 5s with LCD Film Screen Protector Let's Put a Smile on That Face4.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Doctor Who; TARDIS It's Whats On The Inside That Counts 1.5 Inch Pin Back Button3.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Skinit He's Just a Platypus... Or Is He? Vinyl Skin for Motorola Droid X3.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Skinit He's Just a Platypus... Or Is He? Vinyl Skin for Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch -Sprint4.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Skinit He's Just a Platypus... Or Is He? Vinyl Skin for Apple iPhone 52.5★ / check it now at Amazon||Skinit He's Just a Platypus... Or Is He? Vinyl Skin for iPod Touch (1st Gen)5.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Wolf's Rain - Leader of the Pack (Vol. 1)$3.29||Wolf's Rain - Leader of the Pack (Vol. 1) - With Series Box, CD & Toy4.8★ / check it now at Amazon||Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Brain That Wouldn't Die / The Manster$19.99||History of US Presidents - America's Greatest Leaders (2-DVD Set)4.0★ / check it now at Amazon||What's Yours Like? - The Game That Tells it Like it Is$16.99||Barbie Collector's Request Vintage Reproductions - All That Jazz Barbie$141.87||Colorful Latex-free Rubber Refill RAINBOW LOOM BANDS - 600 Bands & 24 "S" Clips – Fun Refill Kit That Makes 24 Bracelets! check it now at Amazon||Franciontalvo Men's T-shirts Customizable Funny Thats Egyptian Pharaoh T Shirt check it now at Amazon||Aliceabos Women's T-shirts Customizable Funny Thats Enlightened T Shirt check it now at Amazon||Reebok - Men's Ex O Fit Hi Sneakers$84.95||Brad's Dacron Leader Spool - , 50 lb, check it now at Amazon||Buck Wear Men's "NRA I'll Second that" T-Shirt check it now at Amazon||Falcons G-III Men's The Leader Pig-Split Jacket check it now at Amazon||It's the Repetition of Affirmations That Leads to Belief 2 - Boxer Muhammad Ali - New Classroom Motivational Poster5.0★ / check it now at Amazon||It's the Repetition of Affirmations That Leads to Belief - Boxer Muhammad Ali - New Classroom Motivational Poster check it now at Amazon||So there's this boy stole my heart He calls me Mom Soccer Glitter Rhinestone Transfer check it now at Amazon||Faith Is Not Believing That God Can It's Knowing That He Will vinyl lettering decal home decor wall art saying4.7★ / $11.99||Faith is not believing that God can, it's knowing that He will-religious wall decals-inspirational-Wall Sayings- Quotes3.7★ / check it now at Amazon||Gumball's Summer Journal That He Definitely Finished All on His Own (The Amazing World of Gumball)5.0★ / $6.05||Leo Tolstoy's The Death Of Ivan Ilych: "He in his madness prays for storms, and dreams that storms will bring him peace."$8.99||Where's Elvis? Documented Sightings Prove That He Lives3.3★ / $1.8||IT WAS THEN THAT HE CARRIED ME!: God's Many Blessings check it now at Amazon||Now That He's Gone A Financial Therapist's Guide to Life After Loss4.8★ / $16.55||Now That He's Out: The Challenges and Joys of Having a Gay Son$58.95||Straight from the CEO: The World's Top Business Leaders Reveal Ideas That Every Manager Can Use$21.95||What Would Dad Say? Now that he's in Heaven$9.99||Straight from the CEO: The World's Top Leaders Reveal Ideas That Every Manager Can Use$3.95||All That He Wants (The Billionaire's Seduction Part 1) check it now at Amazon||All That He Requires (The Billionaire's Seduction Part 4) check it now at Amazon||Best Damn Advice Ever: 10 Real Signs that He's Cheating On You$2.99||ALL THAT HE WANTS (Volume 1 The Billionaire's Seduction) check it now at Amazon||ALL THAT HE LOVES (Volume 2 The Billionaire's Seduction) check it now at Amazon||Rocky Mountain Way: If Liz's ex-husband is really dead, why is he texting her?$1.99||Does He Like Me Or What?: 60 Surefire Signs That He's Interested$2.99||All That He Desires (The Billionaire's Seduction Part 2) check it now at Amazon||All That He Demands (The Billionaire's Seduction Part 3) check it now at Amazon||Wisdom Unsung: Historic Proof that Women are the World's Best Leaders (Women! Full Speed Ahead! Series Book 1) check it now at Amazon||Now That He's Gone check it now at Amazon||'Til I'm Sure That He's Dead check it now at Amazon||That's Where The Joy Comes From (He Holds The Keys Album Version)$1.29||Kim Jong-Il, North Korea's Dear Leader: Who He is, What He Wants, What to Do About Him, Revised & Updated Edition$92.92|
Kazakhstan's ex-leader rejects reports that he fled abroad have 1494 words, post on www.chron.com at January 18, 2022. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.