Typically, the fashion designer Batsheva Hay concedes, she wouldn't devote four hours to baking any dish in her Upper West Side kitchen. She enjoys cooking, yes, but much of her culinary repertoire — including a no-fuss stovetop brisket — can be prepared relatively quickly. Assembling a loaf of challah, the briochelike Jewish bread coated with a soft brown egg wash and braided in a classic plait, is another undertaking entirely. There's the physically demanding kneading. The hour of rising. The punching of the dough (arm workout No. 2). Another half-hour of rising. A small reprieve for the fun part — braiding the dough and adding toppings to create something either herby or extra sweet — followed by a third, hourlong rise. Only then does the loaf make it into the oven.
But Hay's favorite challah recipe — the one that, after almost a decade of trial and error with other versions, she has crowned the best — is well worth the substantial time commitment. For one, store-bought challah is rarely an appealing option; Orwashers in Manhattan, Hay admits, makes a pretty decent one, but most supermarket loaves don't cut it. And among all the homemade challahs Hay has tried, this rendition, adapted from that of the Jewish American cooking icon Joan Nathan, has just the right amount of rich, indulgent egginess. "It's really kind of foolproof," Hay says. "I think the eggs are the key."
Challah is, as in many Jewish households, a staple of her family's Shabbat dinner. She bakes three loaves almost every week — two for Friday night, and an extra for lunch on Saturday — sometimes freezing an extra ball of dough to use the following Friday. And while her children usually help (Ruth, 8, and Solomon, 6, are both within the ideal challah-decorating, dough-punching age bracket), it's no small feat, particularly on top of running her namesake clothing line, Batsheva . (The brand's current projects include another collaborative collection, due in May, with the British brand Laura Ashley that will again combine the latter's classic floral prints with Hay's signature flowy, high-necked silhouettes , inspired in part by the traditional styles worn by some Jewish women.) But the recipe still lends itself to maintaining a reasonable work-life balance: "If you have four hours where you're going to be home," Hay says, "even if it's on a Sunday, it is one of those things — you can mix it up and let it rise while you answer some emails, you know?"
Challah remains an essential element on Hay's table during Hanukkah , which, as a child growing up in a more secular Jewish household in Queens, she cherished. ("It was like Jewish Christmas. You got a lot of presents.") It's stayed her favorite, even as she's become more observant of Orthodox traditions as an adult — Hanukkah doesn't hold as much religious importance as some other Jewish holidays — and most years she strives to stick to the holiday's typical menu, with varying levels of success. "I've tried making jelly doughnuts and they end up being really sad," she says, but store-bought versions do tend to make an appearance, along with latkes and gelt. As for her Hanukkah challah, she opts for a round braid, as is customary for special occasions, and as always, she's partial to the sweeter add-ons like cinnamon sugar or chocolate chips — or, to appease her kids, the raisin fans of the family, "sometimes I'll do cinnamon and raisin, like a bagel kind of vibe," she says. But either option is acceptable for the same reason those four hours of baking are truly worth it: The leftovers can be used the next morning to make the perfect French toast.
Batsheva Hay's Take on Joan Nathan's Challah
(Apart from Hay's additions, which are italicized, the below is a reproduction of the original recipe, which can also be found at New York Times Cooking .)
Makes 2 loaves
3 ¾ teaspoons active dry yeast (about 1 ½ packages)
1 tablespoon plus ½ cup granulated sugar
1 ¾ cups lukewarm water
½ cup olive or vegetable oil, plus more for greasing the bowl
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon table salt
8 to 8 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup raisins per challah, if using, plumped in hot water and drained
1 large egg
Poppy or sesame seeds (optional)
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and the tablespoon of sugar in the lukewarm water; set aside for anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, or until a bit foamy.
2. Whisk the oil into the mixture, then beat in the 4 eggs, one at a time, with the remaining ½ cup of sugar and the salt. Gradually add flour. When the dough holds together, it's ready for kneading.
3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Clean out the bowl and grease it, then return the dough to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until almost doubled in size. Dough may also rise in an oven that has been warmed to 150 degrees then turned off. Punch down dough, cover and let rise again in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
4. Split the dough into two balls, and mix in the raisins if using. Braid the dough. (Nathan creates a six-strand braid, while Hay prefers three strands.) For a straight loaf, tuck the ends underneath the braid. For a circular loaf, twist the braid into a circle, pinching the ends together. Make a second loaf the same way. Place the braided loaves on a greased cookie sheet with at least 2 inches in between.
5. Beat the remaining egg and brush it on the loaves. Let them rise for another hour. Add any toppings — cinnamon and sugar, fenugreek and zaatar are all options.
6. If baking immediately, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and brush the loaves again. Bake the loaves in the middle of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Cool the loaves on a rack, and enjoy!
- Drinking Bombay Sapphire With Fashion Designer Romeo Hunte
- Brandy Norwood sued as designer claims $45K ring singer was supposed to wear at AMAs is MISSING
- ‘Every time I hear athleisure is a new trend, I roll my eyes’: Manish Malhotra gets nostalgic about 90s designs
- Can Fashion Face Masks Survive In a Post-Vaccine World?
- Best Fashionable iPhone 12 Pro Cases 2022
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: Best Custom Designs | Digital Trends
- Who Says Old-Fashioned Street Photography Is Dead?
- Coming Back Home to Oscar de la Renta
- The Matriarch Behind Beyoncé and Solange
- American Dream Leans Into Luxury With Bigger Gucci And Saint Laurent Stores
- Head Sportswear Collaborates With Olympic Gold Medalist Skier Lindsey Vonn In 2022
- Nordstrom has Kate Middleton's top brands on sale: Barbour, Bobbi Brown & more
- Creative In Conversation: Michael Bastian Of Brooks Brothers
- How to Dress Like Alana Haim in
- Sites That Send Shoppers What They Might Like
- The Great (Fake) Child-Sex-Trafficking Epidemic
- Why DXL Is the Best Big + Tall Place for Guys to Shop (and the Coolest Products We’re Buying)
- Exploring Samuel Beckett's Paris
- Try On the Best Winter Gloves To Keep Your Hands Toasty in the Bitter Cold
- Serena Williams is a knockout in tiny leather miniskirt - and you should see her shoes
|Generic Vintage Style Orange Is the New Black Fashion Design Custom Case Cover For SamSung Galaxy Note4 (Laser Technology) (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|Chuntihavi NEW Fashion Design Snap-on Case for Apple Iphone 5 5S--Retro Baseball on Playground (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|L.A. Lakers Design Theme TPU Case for 4.7 inch Screen iPhone 6 (Laser Technology)-by Allthingsbasketball (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|Black Friday Cheap Case With A Elephant Design Case Lovely Cover For iPhone 4/4S+[Screen Protector] (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|iPhone 6 4.7 Inch Case,Fashion Design Hamburger Hard Case For iPhone 6 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Wangshicase High Quality Fashion Design Betty Boop Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 Cases (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|SPRAWL New Fashion Design Snap-on Case for Apple Iphone 5 5S--Unique Fire Baseball (check at Amazon)||1.0|
|SPRAWL New Fashion Design Snap-on Case for Apple Iphone 5 5S--Fire Flame Baseball (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|inDigi Fashion Design Universal Bluetooth SmartWatch For Apple iOS Samsung Android Nokia Windows Phone (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|SPRAWL New Fashion Design Snap-on Case for Apple Iphone 5 5S--Gray Baseball under Golden Sunlight (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Match Your Personality With A Elephant Design Case Lovely Cover For iPhone 5/5S+[Screen Protector] (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|Slim Fit Fashion Design Flexible Case Cover for Apple iPhone 5C with Free Screen Protector (UK British Flag) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|InterAct GCAVCABLE A/V Cable / S-Video Cable for Nintendo GameCube (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|A Perfect Valentine's Day Gift For Her $36.46 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|T.S. Shure You Too Can be a Fashion Designer Creativity Set & Book $50.99 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Barbie Be a Fashion Designer (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Introduce The Fun Of Dollhouse Play With A House That’S Just Right For Even Little Girls. - Fisher-Price My First Dollhouse (check at Amazon)||1.0|
|HALLOWEEN FAKE VAMPIRE BLOOD - A PINT OF COUNT DRACULA's FAVORITE BLOOD - FOR HAUNTED HOUSES - PROPS etc. (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|A.R.M.S. #31 Spacer for Aimpoint Micro Mount (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Subrina Sunshine Fashionable Design Japanese Anime Bleach for mouse pad (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Birds of a Feather Design Skin Decal Sticker for Universal Netbook Notebook 10"" x 8"" (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|LAIKAJINDUN Snow Boots Fashion Design Warm Shoes Special For Women (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|MLC Eyewear Stylish Cat Eye Sunglasses ZHP065BNLEOAM Brown Leopard Frame Fashion Design with Amber Lenses for Women (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|A New Baroque (Baroque favorites transcribed for harp) $10.98 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Pittsburgh's Favorite Oldies: For Lovers Only (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Pittsburgh's Favorite Oldies: For Lovers Only 2 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|En Garde! A Midsummer Night's Fantasy: Music for the Wisconsin Shakespeare Festival by William Penn (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|How To Become A Fashion Designer (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Be a Fashion Designer (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Leegoal Fashion Girl's Favorites Leopard Pearls Heart Diamante Bow Bracelets Jewelry (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Silver Heart Necklace Crystal Pendant Fashion Designer Jewelry Best Gift for Mother's Day Anniversary (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|MOKOLO New Fashion Girl's Favorites Leopard Pearls Heart Diamante Bow Bracelets Jewelry (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Martingale & Company Martingale & Company Grammy's Favorite Knits For Baby (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Gourmet Coffee with Dark Chocolate Almonds & Cranberry White Chocolate Mix -- a Perfect Mother's Day Gift for Coffee Lovers! (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Culinary Institute of America Cookbook: A Collection of Our Favorite Recipes for the Home Chef $4.37 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|How to Get Dressed: A Costume Designer's Secrets for Making Your Clothes Look, Fit, and Feel Amazing $16.49 (check at Amazon)||4.8|
|The Fashion Designer's Textile Directory: A Guide to Fabrics' Properties, Characteristics, and Garment-Design Potential $11.17 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Grandfather: A Native American's Lifelong Search for Truth and Harmony with Nature (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|My A,B,C's Coloring Book: For Kid's Ages 3 to 5 Years Old (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Design Funny: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Humor $25.37 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Too Hurt to Stay: The True Story of a Troubled Boy’s Desperate Search for a Loving Home $13.79 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Fashion Designer's Directory of Shape and Style: Over 500 Mix-and-Match Elements for Creative Clothing Design $25.44 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Grammy's Favorite Knits for Baby (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Perfect Pairings: A Master Sommelier’s Practical Advice for Partnering Wine with Food (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Cook Ahead Paleo Freezer Meals: A Busy Caveman's Recipe Book for Cooking Your Food Ahead of Time and Retaining Delicious Flavors $6.97 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Fashion Designer's Handbook & Fashion Kit: Learn to Sew and Become a Designer in 33 Fabulous Projects (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share $13.19 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Fashion Designer's Handbook for Adobe Illustrator (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Irina's Metal Clay Collection for Beaders: A Master Instructor's Favorite Projects (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|All's Fair in Love and Wardrobe: A Fashion Editors Rules on Shopping for Love $6.92 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
A Fashion Designer’s Favorite Challah, for Hanukkah or Whenever have 2005 words, post on www.nytimes.com at December 1, 2021. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.