NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The theatre community is mourning the death of actress Lisa Banes, who succumbed to her injuries Monday following a hit-and-run involving a scooter earlier this month on the Upper West Side .
Her death comes as pedestrian-related traffic fatalities have increased across the city, and as newer and more mobile modes of transportation flood the streets, CBS2's Christina Fan reported Tuesday.
She was known for her roles in "Gone Girl" and "A Cure for Wellness," but Banes is best remembered by friends for her magnetism and kindness.
Ten days after she was hit by a scooter driver, the 65-year-old actress succumbed to traumatic head injuries. The driver who killed her is still on the run.
Banes was crossing Amsterdam Avenue at West 64th Street on June 4, when a scooter ran a red light, knocking over the actress, who had the right of way.
Her death is one of 60 pedestrian traffic fatalities this year — an 87% increase over last year.
"Quite clearly, the mayor has not prioritized street safety or re-imagining our city around people and their needs, and as a result we are seeing an uptick in violence," said Danny Harris of the group Transportation Alternatives.
Transportation advocates fear fatalities will continue to climb as New Yorkers trade public transit post-pandemic for micro-mobility devices like e-bikes and e-scooters. The city legalized both methods of transportation last year and announced an e-scooter pilot program starting this summer in the Bronx.
Attorney Daniel Flanzig said the city's infrastructure is not equipped to handle the volume.
"There really was no oversight when these programs were launched and now what we're doing is trying to play catch-up," Flanzig said.
At the scene of the hit-and-run crash, Fan found e-bikes and e-scooters recklessly flying down the street right by a flashing sign warning people of the tragedy that struck.
When asked if the city will better regulate e-bike and scooter traffic infractions, Mayor Bill de Blasio said, "I'm very troubled when people go against traffic and create danger for themselves and others. So we're going to keep refining how we regulate, how we enforce. But again, anytime we believe a particular company is not acting in a way that's safe for New Yorkers, we also maintain the option to shut them down."
Banes was visiting New York from Los Angeles and was here to take part in a production by the Manhattan Theatre Club.
Social media was flooded with tributes from family and friends, including Clive Davis, who wrote wrote "her irreplaceable loss must be confronted."
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477), or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). You can also submit a tip via their website or on Twitter, @NYPDTips . All calls are kept confidential.
CBS2's Christina Fan contributed to this report.
- Scooter, mobike output nears 70% of pre-lockdown levels
- Bars, clubs in largest Kansas city packed after rules eased
- Britain records 148 Covid deaths in last 24 hours - more than double last Saturday's total - three weeks after shops were allowed to reopen in first major easing of lockdown
- The changing face of post-coronavirus Britain: Phone data shows only a handful of workers are commuting into UK's deserted big cities - while journeys to small towns are bouncing back
- California, Florida and Texas report highest daily coronavirus death tolls
- Downing Street Shoots Down Ex-MI6 Chief’s ‘Fanciful Claims’ COVID-19 Escaped From Chinese Lab
- Coronation Street and Emmerdale fans will be treated to a series of specials looking back at iconic weddings, villains and scandals this summer... as brand new episodes start to return
- UK records 739 more coronavirus deaths - taking Britain's official COVID-19 fatality count to 27,510 as experts warn care home crisis won’t peak for MONTHS
- Britain is the worst-hit country outside of the US and Brazil. But it STILL won't wear masks
- Why Boris’s back to work drive is doomed to failure: Half a million people a day used to commute into the City of London but now the Square Mile is a ghost town with top firms planning to bring back just 20% of their workers to the office
- US coronavirus deaths surpass 140,000 as outbreak worsens in Florida where cases surge for the fifth day in a row and counties in Texas and Arizona are forced to use refrigerated trucks as morgues
- Britain records 85 more Covid-19 deaths as Northern Ireland goes a WEEK without suffering any coronavirus fatalities
- Kansas City sharply divided over police chief's performance
- Thousands of Black Lives Matter protesters march through Brighton - with precious little social distancing - days after three city police officers were filmed pinning down 'BAME man' shouting 'I can't breathe'
- Coronavirus hitting some African American communities extremely hard
- Coronavirus is no longer the leading cause of death in England and Wales but official figures show it was still the THIRD most common way to die in June
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Argentum - All eyes on Florida as daily COVID-19 cases hit 15K
- Current, Former Pentagon Brass Reportedly Concerned With Trump's Use of Military in Quelling Unrest
- The downhill thrill on SF’s steepest streets
- Greed returns to Wall Street as stock market rebounds
|Simpsons Hit and Run - Gamecube (check at Amazon)||4.3|
|The Simpsons: Hit and Run (check at Amazon)||3.4|
|Simpsons: Hit and Run - Xbox (check at Amazon)||4.0|
|Hit and Run (check at Amazon)||3.5|
|Dangerous Affection ( Stamp of a Killer ) ( Hit and Run ) [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.0 Import - Australia ] (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|St. Louis Cardinals Youth Majestic Red 2011 World Series Champions Hit and Run T-Shirt (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|Hit And Run / Love Sensation (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run Holiday (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street - Dr. Seuss (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (1996) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Charlie and the Hit and Run (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street. *Beginner Books/ Dr.Seuss's first book for children! (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Hit and Run (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Bombshell 201X:: God Did a 2012 Hit-and-Run on Me! (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Keller Series) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run Trading II: Capturing Explosive Short-Term Moves in Stocks (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Moreno & Hart Mysteries) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Lurlene McDaniel) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run: How Jon Peters and Peter Guber took Sony for a ride in Hollywood (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (A Delilah West Thriller) (The Delilah West Thiller Series) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run: A cozy mystery set in the mountains of North Carolina (A Main Street Murder Mystery) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Paddy, Go Easy! What Happens When You Hit And Run? (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Point Horror Series) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Mike & Riel Mysteries) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run Baseball (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|History of the Second World War - Hit and Run: The Big Commando Raids Begin (Part 28) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run: A Thriller (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run Trading: The Short-Term Stock Traders' Bible (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Keller) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (John Keller Mysteries) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Max & Joey Buddy Detectives: The Case of the Hit-and-Run Driver (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|History of the Second World War - Part 28 - Hit and Run (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run!: How to Beat Blackjack As a Way of Life (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Luftwaffe Hit and Run Raiders: Nocturnal Fighter-bomber Operations over the Western Front 1943-1945 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Will to Live: A Young Woman's Valiant Effort to Regain her Life After a Hit-and-run Driver Almost Took it From Her. (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Misfits, Inc.) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The secret life and brutal death of Mamie Thurman: Based on a true story from the archives of the Logan Banner (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Page One: Hit and Run (A Robin Hamilton Mystery) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Slump (The Hit and Run Gang, No 3) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Fabulous Five, Book 11) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Animal Emergency #7: Hit-and-Run Retriever (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run Holiday (Nancy Drew Casefiles, Case 5) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Secrets Can Kill/Deadly Intent/Murder on Ice/Smile and Say Murder/Hit and Run Holiday (Nancy Drew Casefiles, Case 1-5) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|HIT AND RUN HOW JON PETERS AND PETER GUBER TOOK SONY FOR A RIDE IN HOLLYWOOD (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Keller series Book 4) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run (Moreno & Hart Mysteries Book 2) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run: A Delilah West Thriller (The Delilah West Thriller Series Book 3) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Hit and Run Kindle Publishing: Make quick cash writing what you already know (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Cooper Collection 026 (Hit And Run) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|The Hit-and-Run Man (check at Amazon)||0.0|
Lisa Banes’ Hit-And-Run Death Amplifies Concerns About Scooters On City Streets have 1542 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at June 16, 2021. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.