Republicans offered only modest reproach when President Donald Trump said there were “very fine people” on both sides of a white supremacist rally. They stayed in line when Trump was caught pressuring a foreign leader and later defended his handling of a deadly pandemic. But with a sudden force, the wall of Republican support that has enabled Trump to weather a seemingly endless series of crises is beginning to erode. Trump’s weakened standing among his own party will come into sharper focus on Wednesday when the House is expected to impeach the president for inciting a riot at the U.S. Capitol last week. A handful of Republicans have already said they’ll join the effort, a number that could grow as the vote nears. The choice facing Republicans isn’t just about the immediate fate of Trump, who has just seven days left in his presidency. It’s about whether the party’s elected leaders are ready to move on from Trump, who remains popular with the GOP but is now toxic in much of Washington. How they proceed could determine whether the party remains viable in upcoming elections or splinters in a way that could limit their relevance. “We’re at the moment now… Read full this story
- Trump says he will be impeached if Republicans are routed in midterms
- Rosenstein knocks Republicans who want to impeach him: 'They can't even resist leaking their own drafts'
- Budowsky: The Trump Republican tax scandal
- Who Is Emmet Flood? Trump Set to Hire Clinton Impeachment Lawyer to Fight Mueller Probe: Reports
- Egyptian opposition calls for massive rally ahead of vote
- Vulnerable Republican fights for reelection and vote on Dreamers
- Trump Fumes Over Expected Senate Panel Vote on Pompeo
- Letters: County should not help Trump build wall
- Never Trump Republican's midterm plea to Democrats: Reach out to people like me
- Ty Cobb out as Trump moves to hire Clinton impeachment lawyer
Trump's Republican wall eroding ahead of impeachment vote have 331 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 13, 2021. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.