Parents and advocacy groups filed a lawsuit Monday against the State of California stating that it failed to meet a “constitutional obligation” to ensure equality in remote education during the coronavirus pandemic. The lawsuit — filed by seven California families and advocacy groups Community Coalition and The Oakland REACH — demanded that California be held accountable for the quality of education provided in under-served communities and that it allow parents to be at the center of a plan to address inequities across the state. Public Counsel, a nonprofit civil rights law firm, is representing the groups. Advocates said education for Black and brown low-income students has typically failed to meet state requirements, but the pandemic further exacerbated and shined a light on the inequalities. “The impact of the pandemic on California’s most vulnerable students has been to deny them in far too many instances even the semblance of an education, dramatically widening an already indefensible opportunity gap with their more privileged counterparts,” said Mark Rosenbaum, the director of Public Counsel’s Opportunity Under Law Project. “Remote learning may not be preventable but the remoteness of California officials to the desperate educational needs of its children is,” he said. Following stay-at-home orders… Read full this story
- Six Strategies to Better Learning For Children
- 40% of Muslim students surveyed in California say they’ve been bullied at school, report finds
- Unleash the Parental Leader Within - Part 9 (Understanding Our Programming As Children)
- 'Seafood fraud' widespread in Canada, says ocean advocacy group
- Children With Autism - Tips and Strategies to Enhance Learning For Children With Autism
- Candidates apologize to Jewish advocacy group for ads in publication it calls 'anti-Semitic'
- California Superlotto Plus - Learn How to Win Today
- Healing Our Families in an Industrialized Society Through Attachment Parenting and Natural Education
- Types of Parenting Styles and How You Can Help Your Child From Being Bullied Or Become a Bully
- Notes From the Couch - Conscious Parenting - It Takes a Village to Raise a Child (Or a Puppy)
Parents, advocacy groups sue California, say remote learning leaves some children behind have 346 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 1, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.