Highly touted freshman Ziaire Williams scored 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds in his collegiate debut, and Stanford beat Alabama 82-64 on Monday in Asheville, N.C., in the relocated Maui Invitational. Stanford will face 14th-ranked North Carolina (2-0) on Tuesday. The tournament is being played in North Carolina instead of Hawaii due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The game served as Stanford’s season opener because its first scheduled game against Utah Valley was canceled due to COVID-19 protocols. Williams, a 6-foot-8 forward, is a McDonald’s All-American, a 5-star recruit and viewed as Stanford’s highest-rated prospect in program history. Current 2021 NBA draft boards project him as high as a top-5 lottery pick should he decide to leave after his freshman season. Bryce Wills scored 15 points for Stanford and Oscar da Silva and Daejon Davis each had 13. Jahvon Quinerly led the Crimson Tide (1-1) with 14 points and Jaden Shackelford scored 10. Williams’ jumper with 7:42 before halftime broke a 25-all tie. The Cardinal closed the half on a 16-4 run and were in control the rest of the way. Cal 60, Nicholls St. 49: Matt Bradley tied a career high with 26 points and Grant Anticevich scored 11 as… Read full this story
- Venus Williams advances to U.S. Open semifinals
- Charles Matthews sparkles in debut as Michigan wins
- NCAA women’s basketball will now play four quarters, men go to 30 second shot clock
- NCAA women's tournament: Stanford cruises past St. John's women, 75-49, behind Ogwumike sisters
- Colleges Promised to Hire More Black Professors, but So Far It’s Been Nothing But Talk
- John Calipari finds a new Kentucky home as expectations through the roof
- Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim cruises to 800th win milestone
- Pitt Panthers pound Georgetown Hoyas to win Big East tournament
- Hofstra Pride struggle to sloppy win over Manhattan Jaspers, 44-39
- Doyel: Amidst NCAA basketball scandal, college presidents trying to save the game — but is it beyond saving?
College basketball: Freshman Ziaire Williams boosts Stanford men in debut; Cal men win home opener have 328 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 1, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.