Nick Mullens is backup quarterback who has often played this season with a supporting cast dotted with fellow reserves. And that will continue Sunday when the 49ers visit the Rams. Mullens has endured a difficult season while filling in for Jimmy Garoppolo, and more unpleasantness could be on the horizon: The 49ers might be without two starting offensive linemen and their top two pass-catchers when they face the Los Angeles’ top-ranked defense, which ranks fourth in the league in sacks. Of particular concern? Mullens’ blindside probably won’t be protected by Pro Bowl left tackle Trent Williams, who remains on the reserve/COVID-19 list and only has an “outside chance” to play, according to head coach Kyle Shanahan. In addition, starting right guard Tom Compton suffered a concussion in practice Thursday, meaning rookie fifth-round pick Colton McKivitz will make his first career start. McKivitz, who has played 58 career snaps, figures to see plenty of All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who ranks third in the NFL with nine sacks. Mullens also won’t have All-Pro tight end George Kittle (foot) and Shanahan indicated wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk (COVID) is unlikely to play. It’s not a great spot for Mullens. But he’s been in… Read full this story
- 'Lucifer' Cast & Crew Reveal What Happens to Their Characters in Season 5B
- What To Watch This Weekend: Mandalorian Season 2, Taish, Blood of Zeus & More
- New Witcher season 2 images show what happened to Yennefer after her season 1 sacrifice
- ‘I Feel Prepared, Our Team Feels Prepared’: Giants’ Daniel Jones, Jets’ Sam Darnold Ready For What Will Be An Unusual NFL Season
- The Reality Rumble: What’s the Greatest Reality-TV Season Ever?
- NFL PREVIEW 2020: 49ers roster
- 49ers activate Fred Warner from COVID-19 list; Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk still out
- 49ers’ Sherman brushes off concerns about his age, but wife has the final say
- Has 49ers’ Kyle Shanahan had a change of heart over mobile quarterbacks?
- 49ers’ Jimmy Garoppolo has his supporters, but doubts linger despite Super Bowl run
What’s behind 49ers QB Nick Mullens’ uneven season? have 349 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 28, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.