While President Donald Trump vows to press ahead with efforts to overturn the election, judges across the country have consistently swatted down his legal challenges. Trump’s campaign has failed to make any real headway in court without proof of widespread fraud, which experts widely agree doesn’t exist. Over the course of a single day this week, Trump and his Republican allies dropped or lost cases seeking to block the certification of election results in three different states. Experts say Trump won’t succeed in stopping President-elect Joe Biden from taking office in January. But his repetition of baseless claims that the race was rigged is undermining public confidence in the election system while instilling in his supporters the idea that Biden will be an illegitimate president. Where Republican election challenges stand in six states: ARIZONA THE CASE: The Arizona Republican Party had tried to block the certification of the election results in the state’s most populous county, Maricopa, until a court ruled on the party’s lawsuit asking for a new hand count of a sampling of ballots. An audit already completed by the county found no discrepancies, officials said. WHAT HAPPENED: A judge on Thursday rejected Republicans’ bid to postpone the… Read full this story
- Explainer: Trump's latest move to limit deportation protections for 'Dreamers'
- Imran Khan's party wins Pakistan election but falls short of majority
- Pompeo defers to Justice on question of Trump election tweet
- Explainer: Why Election Day could be just the start of a long battle over the U.S. presidency
- Explainer: Trump's plan to cut drug prices
- Scarborough on Trump Election Delay Suggestion: ‘He Really Knows He’s Going to Lose This Fall’
- China state media blasts Houston consulate shutdown as Trump election gambit
- Prashant Bhushan, Arun Shourie and N Ram challenge Contempt of Courts Act in SC
- Lewis Hamilton blasts F1 drivers after Hungarian Grand Prix win as anti-racism message continues to fall flat
- Sharad Malhotra on favouritism: Agar sirf apne bhai-bhateeje ko kaam dunga, talent ko nahi, then it won’t take long for it to fall flat
EXPLAINER: Trump's election challenges falling flat in court have 360 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 21, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.