LOS ANGELES (AP) — With California desperately battling an out-of-control coronavirus surge, the state’s health secretary is urging families to avoid gathering for Thanksgiving and Los Angeles County appeared on the brink of issuing a stay-home order to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. “It’s as important to say no even when it comes to the closest people in our family” Dr. Mark Ghaly said as counties continued to see record COVID-19 infection caseloads and hospitalizations. Ghaly, whose mother won’t be at his family’s dinner table this year, said it wasn’t too late to cancel or change plans to limit Thanksgiving celebrations to immediate family. Residents were urged to avoid nonessential travel during what is typically the busiest travel period of the year. Anyone entering California was advised to quarantine for two weeks. Public health officials are bracing for a wave of cases in upcoming weeks that could stem from gatherings at Thanksgiving, particularly as people arrive or return from states or areas with higher infection rates. Los Angeles International Airport reported 1 million travelers on Monday, Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said. “If you’re a public health person, you just start crying when you hear those numbers,”… Read full this story
- The Foreign Office is warning Brits to avoid large gatherings in the Maldives capital
- Iran tells public to avoid 'illegal' gatherings as rare protests continue
- Two shot after Iran tells public to avoid 'illegal gatherings' as protests continue
- Police urge drivers to avoid M74 motorway
- Campaign to save arts funding from 'death by a thousand cuts' gathers momentum at Stormont
- Motorists urged to avoid motorway junction after 'serious incident'
- Petition urges O Muilleoir to resign over video retweet
- TRAFFIC: Drivers urged to avoid M5 after two serious crashes
- People urged not to travel as weather warnings may reach highest level
- TRAFFIC: Drivers urged to avoid M5 after another serious crash
Californians urged to avoid Thanksgiving gatherings have 329 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 25, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.