(CNN)Toby Wait and his family have prepared to flee a number of wildfires that have burned through the rugged and dry mountains of Central California. But none were as ferocious or fast-moving as what the long-time residents of Big Creek faced this week when flames overwhelmed their community, forcing them to flee in the middle of the night and reduced their home to ashes. Wait, the superintendent of Big Creek School District and principal of Big Creek Elementary School, noticed a plume of smoke in the distance Friday but wasn’t too worried, packing up a few belongings just in case they might need to leave. He figured that even if his family were to be evacuated, they would be able to return in a few days. But at 4 a.m. Saturday, he and his family were forced to flee when firefighters came to their door and told them to get out. This is what the Bay Area’s skies looked like today during the wildfires “I went on my deck and looked out, and there was just orange flowing throughout the hills,” he recalled to CNN. Wait, his wife, three children, and three dogs quickly packed into their cars and made… Read full this story
- David Beckham Gives California Family $100K On 'Knock Knock Live'
- Ford Recalls 329000 Escape And Mercury Mariner SUVs Over Fuel Leakage
- California Rejects Recall Of Volkswagen’s 3-Liter Diesel Cars
- 6 Chef-Created Recipes Your Family Can Make at Home
- How to Make a Home Safe For All Ages
- Plum Organics Baby Food Recalled Due to Potential Botulism Contamination
- Flame Retardants
- How Flames, Oilers might handle Lucic, Neal after big trade
- Victims’ families’ fury as Coroner clears police and security services of blame for London Bridge terror attack but accuses killer's relatives of not turning them in before attack
- Flames sign forward Zac Rinaldo to one-year, two-way contract
A California family recalled a harrowing escape before their home was swallowed by flames. 'We're nomads' have 324 words, post on edition.cnn.com at September 10, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.