Health care professionals say wearing a face covering is one of the most effective ways to slow the spread of the coronavirus. So why do so many people refuse to do it? The Chronicle scoured social media for the most common excuses in circulation and ran them by local infectious disease experts to see whether they hold up. Here’s what they had to say: Claim: “Masks cut off your oxygen.” Worried that wearing a face covering will reduce your oxygen intake? The experts say you can breathe easy (even if you are wearing a mask). While masks can get stuffy, they still allow for normal breathing. “People might feel uncomfortable and short of breath,” said John Balmes, a pulmonary physician and professor of medicine at UCSF. “The actual lowering of oxygen is highly unlikely.” To combat this myth, which has been widely spread on the internet, medical workers nationwide have countered with their own social media posts showing their oxygen saturation levels and heart rates remain unchanged while wearing a variety of face coverings over an extended period. “This is a common misconception being perpetuated that has no evidence behind it,” said Krutika Kuppalli, a Palo Alto infectious disease doctor… Read full this story
- Deities wear masks in Kashi temple to fight pollution
- Though the AQI has lowered, goddess Durga and Kali are still wearing masks in a Varanasi temple
- Hong Kong Face Mask Ban Could 'Haunt' Protesters and Help China Track Down Dissenters, Privacy Expert Says
- Hong Kong protests over 'authoritarian' mask ban quickly turn violent, teenage boy shot by police
- Pollution crises: Now, Gods in Varanasi temples wear anti-pollution mask to aviod toxic air
- Skin Whitening Masks That Can Be Made At Home With Simple Kitchen Ingredients
- Hong Kong court rejects bid to suspend mask ban
- Fact file: Your questions on the Trans-Pacific Partnership answered
- Fact check: Was Hong Kong ever promised democracy?
- Fact-check: NASA claims changes in Earth solar orbit is causing climate change?
No, wearing a mask does not cut off your oxygen. Here are the facts. have 340 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at July 5, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.