PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Maine’s attorney general has joined a group including more than 20 of his counterparts to call for the federal government to provide financial help for childcare providers in the next round of stimulus money. Attorney General Aaron Frey said Tuesday that he and other attorneys general believe the nation’s childcare system needs help for families to recover from the coronavirus pandemic. They sent a letter to the leadership of the U.S. Senate that said the next stimulus bill must address childcare. The pandemic has closed or reduced service at childcare centers around the country, leaving them without revenue to pay for payrolls, rent, insurance and other costs, Frey said. The attorneys general said the childcare system also needs broader reforms, as it’s too expensive for many families. Frey made the statement as Maine officials and residents continues to fight the toll of the pandemic. Maine officials have reported more than 3,500 cases of the virus in the state since the start of the pandemic. They’ve also reported 114 deaths. For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. But for others, especially older adults and people with health problems, it… Read full this story
- Good news about your coronavirus stimulus money: It doesn’t count as income or an asset
- Republicans join push to lift secrecy around misconduct in Congress
- San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin Joins Push For South Africa-Style Truth, Reconciliation Commission
- How parents can claim £2,000 a year free childcare for kids under 11
- Second wave of stimulus checks ‘would give average American household a $2,170 payout’ – $440 more than the first round
- Ex-CBO director calls for more than $1 trillion in coronavirus stimulus spending
- A second stimulus check? Here's how much money you could get
- Treasury Sent $1.4 Billion in Stimulus Checks to Dead People. That’s Good.
- Stimulus check: Do you have to pay tax on the money?
- It’s NOT A Scam: Feds Say 4 Million Americans Receiving Stimulus Checks In Form Of Prepaid Debit Card
Maine AG joins push for for childcare stimulus money have 349 words, post on www.sfgate.com at July 15, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.