Steven Duggar was called safe on a steal, but third baseman Pablo Sandoval wasn’t having it. He raised his hands to cup his ears, the universal symbol for “Challenge it!” Never mind that there was no video to prove his point. Darin Ruf wasn’t having it either when he took a called third strike from Logan Webb and kept looking back at catcher Tyler Heineman, who was also calling balls and strikes. The Giants’ first intrasquad game of summer camp Saturday had its fun moments, but also a serious side. Like managers throughout baseball, Gabe Kapler is trying to infuse competition and urgency among players who get their checks signed by the same people. All in all, Kapler succeeded. The guys on one side of the field tried to beat the guys on the other. It looked like a ballgame. “I thought the intensity level was strong,” Kapler said. “The players were really starting to get into it. We had an orange team and a black team out there. That raised the level of competition, to see two different uniforms.” Mental skills coach Derin McMains did his part by creating one of those pump-the-crowd highlight videos that fans see on… Read full this story
- Giants to bring back Hunter Pence, sign speedster Billy Hamilton to minors deal
- Pence, Posey go back-to-back to carry Giants past Padres 5-3
- How Giants-Dodgers opener might have played out: Good for Posey, not for SF
- Hunter Pence’s latest inspirational speech: How to endure coronavirus crisis
- Giants Splash: History suggests fans will give team a break, for 5 minutes
- Mike Pence Makes Strong Case for Donald Trump’s Resignation
- Former Giants outfielder Connor Joe undergoes testicular cancer surgery
- Giants sign 16-year-old shortstop compared with Tatis Jr.
- ‘This is my family’: How Giants’ Alyssa Nakken made strong impressions in camp
- Mike and Karen Pence face mounting questions after they got coronavirus testing without showing symptoms and received results just hours later while thousands of Americans can't get tests and wait days to see if they are infected
Giants try to get serious in a ballgame that features homers by Sandoval, Pence have 355 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at July 12, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.