President Donald Trump is warning without evidence that expanding mail-in voting will increase voter fraud. But several GOP state officials are forging ahead to do just that, undermining one of Trump’s arguments about how elections should be conducted amid the coronavirus outbreak. While Trump has complained that voting by mail was “ripe for fraud,” Republican state officials in Iowa, Ohio and West Virginia have all taken steps to ease access to mail-in ballots, following health officials’ warnings that voting in person can risk transmission of the deadly virus. The Republican governor of Nebraska urged voters to apply for absentee ballots. Florida’s GOP chairman says the party will continue to run a robust vote-by-mail program. The disconnect between Trump and Republican state officials illustrates the abrupt, hard turn the president and his national political allies have taken on the issue. Before the coronavirus hit, many in the GOP had warmed to mail-in voting, agreeing that it can be conducted without fraud and even used to their political advantage. But Trump’s hard line appears to be driven by his personal suspicions and concerns about his own reelection prospects. Statewide mail-in voting “doesn’t work out well for Republicans,” he tweeted this week. Trump’s… Read full this story
- As mail voting pushed, some fear loss of in-person option
- Abrams: Trump Afraid of Vote by Mail Because He ‘Is Illegitimate and Should Not Hold Office’
- Biden backs mail vote, says Trump’s opposition ‘un-American’
- Biden backs mail vote, says Trump's opposition 'un-American'
- Most Americans, unlike Trump, want mail-in ballots for November if coronavirus threatens: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- GOP senators reject wider mail-in vote for Louisiana primary
- Over 70 Percent of Voters Support Making 2020 Presidential Election Entirely Vote-by-Mail, New Poll Shows
- Trump faces roadblocks with threat to adjourn Congress
- Parties mine Wisconsin for clues to voting in the virus era
- Be wary of voting by mail initiatives
As Trump rails against mail voting, some allies embrace it have 328 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at April 10, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.