A teleconference with California regulators to discuss a potential limited ban on freshwater sportfishing amid the COVID-19 pandemic was abruptly canceled Thursday after it descended into chaos, with some of those who called in branding officials as fascists and shouting “make fishing great again.”The Fish and Game Commission meeting was aimed at deciding whether to give emergency powers to Charlton Bonham, the governor’s appointee overseeing the Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Sacramento Bee reported.If the powers are granted, Bonham could limit fishing in some California rivers, streams and lakes at the request of local officials concerned that visiting recreational fishing enthusiasts might spread the virus.But the meeting was overwhelmed by more than 500 participants on the call, many of whom mistakenly believed commissioners might cancel the entire fishing season statewide. Earlier this week, a group of conservative politicians, sheriffs and media outlets told social media followers that the administration of Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, was planning to do that, the newspaper said. Advertisement The intent of the state’s proposed order was much more limited, however.State officials and participants urged everyone on the line to mute themselves amid background noise and beeping as dozens called in. One of those… Read full this story
- Mayor Fischer's plea to exempt Louisville from California state-funded travel ban unsuccessful
- Our View: California has a travel ban? Yep. Dems really are clueless
- California becomes first to ban plastic bags statewide
- California lawmakers approve statewide ban on single-use plastic bags, a first in the U.S.
- California bill passes to ban state sales of Confederate flag items
- LISTEN: Supreme Court hears arguments on California’s gay marriage ban
- California Rep. Adam Schiff sings ‘Meet the Mets’ — badly — on House floor to settle bet with New York Rep. Steve Israel
- N.J. transgender community apprehensive, angry over Trump's military ban
- Paul blasts California's 'short-sighted' travel ban to Kentucky, talks health care bill
- Some members of Congress keep angry public at phone line's distance
Angry California anglers disrupt sportfishing ban meeting have 344 words, post on www.latimes.com at April 9, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.