Zoe Caldwell, a four-time Tony Award winner remembered by Los Angeles theater audiences for her star turn in Terrence McNally’s “Master Class,” has died. She was 86.Caldwell’s son Charlie Whitehead said she died peacefully Sunday at her home in Pound Ridge, N.Y. Whitehead said her death was due to complications from Parkinson’s disease.During her illustrious career, the actress played Cleopatra, Saint Joan, Mother Courage and authors Colette and Lillian Hellman. Three of her four Tonys came in collaborations with her husband, Robert Whitehead, who was one of Broadway’s most prolific producers of serious drama.She cited his influence in her decision to do “Medea,” the ancient Greek drama of a woman who is betrayed by her lover and kills their children in revenge. It won her a third Tony in 1982. Advertisement New York Times critic Frank Rich cited the flashes of sensuality — which she said derived from the study of Greek painting and sculpture — and wit that she brought to the character.“When, at last, the crime is at hand, the actress fully dramatizes the struggle between her hunger for revenge and her love of her sons,” Rich wrote. “Like the gods, we can understand, if not pardon, the… Read full this story
- For Every Woman Who Dies In Childbirth In The U.S., 70 More Come Close
- Time magazine's latest Trump cover is, literally, fire
- Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic Edge Closer To Possible Paris Masters Final Meeting
- Teen gets sick, dies in front of 90 classmates at band practice
- Tony-winner and women's health advocate Phyllis Newman dies
- Best time to tackle tough questions about dying? Why not today?
- Since mobile search still sux, is it time for cellphone content "decks" to die?
- Do you have the 'Internet time'?
- How to Setup MySQL (Master-Slave) Replication in RHEL, CentOS, Fedora
- A dying mother's plea for her life
Zoe Caldwell, four-time Tony winner and the master of ‘Master Class,’ dies at 86 have 324 words, post on www.latimes.com at February 21, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.