Hong Kong (CNN)Weeks into the novel coronavirus crisis, the outbreak finally appears to be stabilizing in central China, where the virus was initially detected before it spread throughout the country and the world. Small outbreaks continue to fast expand elsewhere, however, not least of which on board the Diamond Princess cruise liner in Japan, where two deaths were confirmed Thursday, the first from the hundreds of cases on the ship, which has begun disembarking passengers after a 14-day quarantine this week. The global death toll now stands at 2,120, after an additional 108 deaths were reported in Hubei province as of Thursday morning. All but eight deaths have occurred outside of mainland China. An additional 349 cases were confirmed in Hubei, more than 1,300 fewer than reported the day before. Outside of the provincial capital Wuhan, epicenter of the outbreak, the daily count of patients who have been treated and discharged has exceeded the number of newly confirmed cases for four consecutive days now, according to state news agency Xinhua. There is some uncertainty of how cases are being diagnosed in Hubei, with the criteria for diagnosing the virus outside of the lab shifting in recent weeks. Chinese authorities this… Read full this story
- Amanda Bynes 'flees sober living facility' amid fears the actress may be 'backsliding' into drug use
- Duterte in China amid expectation he’ll raise sea disputes
- Is this the new PPI scandal? Financial watchdog announces probe into booming equity release market amid fears of another mis-selling outrage
- Etika missing: Body pulled out of New York river amid fears for YouTube star
- White House says U.S. is on verge of breakthrough trade deal with China days before new wave of tariffs are due to go into action
- Hong Kong faces exodus of financial talent amid fears of Chinese purge
- Qatar Airways Elevating Economy Class Travel Aboard China Flights with New ‘Quisine’ Dining Experience
- Zidane says Real Madrid only focused on football amid fears of Clasico unrest
- Beware the super slug! Experts fear new invasion of Spanish slugs is "a disaster waiting to happen"
- Across China: Villagers embrace new life after relocation in Xinjiang
Novel coronavirus appears to be stabilizing in China amid fears of new outbreak in Japan have 366 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 20, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.