Hong Kong (CNN)As the deadly novel coronavirus spread throughout China and the world last month, it was clear that something had gone wrong. Officials in Hubei, the province at the center of the outbreak, were blamed for downplaying — and potentially even deliberately covering up — the severity of the virus, ignoring evidence that it spread from person-to-person until it was too late. Against this tale of irresponsibility there was another story being told in China, one of a competent central government which had been denied the full picture by local officials, and once it understood the true ramifications stepped in to take drastic action to stop the virus’ spread. And indeed, there was a major shift on January 20, when Chinese President Xi Jinping commented publicly for the first time on the virus, and ordered “resolute efforts” to control the outbreak. Speaking alongside Xi in Beijing a week later, World Health Organization (WHO) director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised the “seriousness with which China is taking this outbreak,” and thanked Beijing for its “transparency.” Over the weekend, however, a transcript of an internal Communist Party speech appeared to throw doubt on this narrative, revealing Xi knew about and was directing… Read full this story
- Will discuss Covid-19 pandemic with Xi Jinping, says US Prez Donald Trump
- Can have fun indoors too: Hardik Pandya plays indoor cricket with brother Krunal due to coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus outbreak: 10-month-old tests positive in Karnataka
- Revealed: The six food items everyone needs on hand during the coronavirus outbreak - and why you should ALWAYS have peanut butter in your pantry
- Navi Mumbai: 3 arrested with 35 beer bottles during lockdown over novel coronavirus outbreak
- Marathwada varsity to get lab to study coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus outbreak: No new Covid-19 cases recorded in Gujarat in the past 12 hours
- Coronavirus exposes Xi Jinping's feet of clay
- Xi Jinping tells Donald Trump China and US must 'unite to fight coronavirus'
- China and US must ‘unite to fight coronavirus’, says Xi Jinping
Did Xi Jinping know about the coronavirus outbreak earlier than first suggested? have 339 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 17, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.