TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas Senate candidate Roger Marshall won the endorsement Monday of political icon and 1996 Republican presidential nominee Bob Dole, a boost for the congressman’s efforts to show GOP leaders he can defeat hardline conservative Kris Kobach in the primary. Marshall’s campaign announced Dole’s backing, and Dole tweeted that Marshall is “a true friend to me & a true friend to KS.” Marshall, a western Kansas physician, has served in Congress since 2017. Dole’s endorsement came a week after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that he would not run for the Kansas seat. Four-term GOP Sen. Pat Roberts is not seeking re-election. “You’re going to start to see the financial donors and grassroots kind of start picking a horse,” said Kelly Arnold, a former Kansas Republican Party chairman. “They’re looking at Marshall as that candidate to be the one that could challenge Kobach.” Marshall holds the House seat that Dole, Roberts and fellow Kansas GOP Sen. Jerry Moran all held before being elected to the Senate in 1968, 1996 and 2010. Dole was Senate majority leader in 1996 when he left Congress after a total of 35 years as part of… Read full this story
- Late winter storms just wiped out the entire wheat crop of western Kansas… are YOU prepared for food disruptions?
- Marketplace troubles poised to impact swing state Senate races
- Ross Chastain wins NASCAR Truck race week after DQ
- Friday 5: Can anyone beat Joe Gibbs Racing, Team Penske?
- Runner Killed by Lightning Strike Near End of 50K Race
- Florida e-voting: 18,000 'missing' votes in close race
- Houston Texans acquire RB Carlos Hyde from Kansas City Chiefs
- NASCAR Cup Series race at Michigan postponed because of rain
- Tommy DeVito leads Syracuse to win over Western Michigan
- Twitter reacts to the passing of WWE legend Harley Race
Dole endorses western Kansas congressman in US Senate race have 317 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 14, 2020. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.