(CNN)President Donald Trump announced Monday that the US will “restore” steel and aluminum tariffs on Brazil and Argentina, citing a “massive devaluation of their currencies.” “Brazil and Argentina have been presiding over a massive devaluation of their currencies. which is not good for our farmers. Therefore, effective immediately, I will restore the Tariffs on all Steel & Aluminum that is shipped into the U.S. from those countries,” Trump tweeted early Monday morning from Washington. Formal notices of the tariffs were not immediately announced by the Treasury or Commerce Departments or the Office of the US Trade Representative. Trump has prided himself on imposing tariffs and hammering trade deals to bolster his “America First” economic agenda. But the biggest deal at the center of the trade war, a US-China trade agreement, has yet to be signed. Additional tariffs on Chinese imports are expected to go into effect on December 15. Both Brazil and Argentina were exempted from 25% steel and aluminum tariffs last year when Trump was attempting to avoid a trade war with those countries. Read More The President, in a series of tweets announcing the tariffs on Monday, also called on the Federal Reserve to “act so that countries,… Read full this story
- Trump Hits China With Tariffs on $200 Billion in Goods, Escalating Trade War
- Coke prices rise thanks in part to Trump’s aluminum tariff
- Ford Territory to be sold in Brazil, Argentina in 2020
- How will Trump's foreign car tariff affect the US auto industry?
- Copa America: Brazil Coach Tite Losing Sleep Ahead Of Argentina Clash
- Brazil Given Kind Copa America 2019 Draw, Argentina Land Colombia
- Trump Suspends Tariffs on Board Games and Toys from China, for Now Anyway
- Trump keeps U.S. allies on edge ahead of steel tariffs deadline
- Trump administration targets $50 billion in Chinese electronics, aerospace and machinery goods with tariffs
- Europe Readying Retaliatory Duties for Prospective Auto Tariffs
Trump to 'restore' steel and aluminum tariffs on Brazil and Argentina have 326 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 2, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.