ELK GROVE (CBS13) – Students in Elk Grove are coming together to support a Muslim classmate who says she was assaulted because of her religion.
The alleged attack happened on Wednesday. A 17-year-old girl wearing a Muslim Student Association shirt at school and was followed by a masked person into the bathroom, she says. There, the alleged attacker verbally attacked the girl for being a Muslim and threw a bucket of water on her. The girl was not physically injured during the incident.
On Friday, students, parents, and staff met at Pleasant Grove High School to discuss the incident. The Elk Grove School District sent a letter home to parents condemning what happened.
“The PGHS community came together to show student unity and respect for the diverse makeup of the school community which is cherished, promoted and protected,” the school district wrote on their Facebook page.
Police are investigating the incident.
- One in six female MIT students sexually assaulted: survey
- Howard High students return to school Monday with hugs
- Boston University student says man entered her dorm, sexually assaulted her
- Wayne Hills wins NJ North 1, Group 3 title without nine players suspended for alleged attack on students from rival school
- Arizona tribal leaders help students stay in school
- Fewer U.S. high school students say they've cheated in class: report
- 'They're a bunch of frauds': Former Trump University students say The Donald shouldn't be president, school was a scam
- Utah town reeling after teen commits suicide in front of students at his school
- 13-year-old girl shot and killed by another student aboard Miami school bus
- Duke fraternity Alpha Delta Phi suspended after student says she was drugged, raped at off-campus party