WASHINGTON — The White House’s former top Europe and Russia expert sharply denounced what she called a “fictional narrative” embraced by President Trump and his Republican allies that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 elections, testifying that the claim at the center of the impeachment inquiry was a fabrication by Moscow that had harmed the United States. Testifying on the final day of the week’s public impeachment hearings, the expert, Fiona Hill, tied Trump’s pressure campaign on Ukraine to a dangerous effort by Russia to sow political divisions in the United States and undercut American diplomacy. Her testimony before the House Intelligence Committee was an implicit rebuke to the president, suggesting that when he pressed Ukraine to investigate the theory that Kyiv rather than Moscow undertook a concerted campaign to meddle in the 2016 campaign, he was playing into Russia’s hands for his own political gain. Hill’s account of how Trump’s team carried out what she called a “domestic political errand” that diverged from his own administration’s foreign policy amounted to sharp — albeit indirect — criticism of the president she served, and it brought home the grave national security consequences of the effort. “These fictions are harmful even… Read full this story
- 'Born-Alive' Abortion Bill: Trump Called It 'Executing Babies,' but It's Actually Republican 'Political Framing,' Expert Says
- Trump calls Democratic impeachment inquiry a 'joke'
- Driverless cars won't be ready for at least a DECADE, experts say, despite Elon Musk declaring Tesla would have a million on the road by 2020
- Trump falsely claimed that Obama administration slowed down diagnostic testing, experts say
- Experts say you MUST stop touching your face to curb the spread of coronavirus as studies show people place hands near their mouth, nose, and eyelids up to 23 times per hour
- Majority in new poll supports impeachment inquiry; almost half back Trump's removal from office
- Julian Assange shows symptoms of psychological torture, UN expert says
- Australian health experts say face masks are unlikely to protect against coronavirus as the crisis hits more than 14,000 people worldwide
- Chairman Of Black Political Empowerment Project Says Pittsburgh Judge Mark Tranquilli Should Be Relieved Of Duties
- Republicans Call On Hunter Biden, Ukraine Whistleblower, And Others To Testify In Impeachment Inquiry
Impeachment inquiry: Pressure on Ukraine a ‘political errand,’ expert says have 385 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 22, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.