Rollins is arguing for unchecked DA authority, which is what got us into trouble in the first place. Even Justice Frank M. Gaziano, of the Supreme Judicial Court, acknowledges that a prosecutor’s discretion can be curtailed if there is evidence of a “scandalous abuse of authority” (“SJC backs Rollins in dispute with judge,” Page A1, Sept. 10). As for Susan Church, the defense lawyer who was cited for contempt, judges have to have discretion to enforce decorum in their courtroom. Everyone seems to think that, because Church was citing the law, she should be immune from following the judge’s direction not to interrupt him. It shouldn’t matter if she had been reciting the Lord’s Prayer. Boston Municipal Court Judge Richard Sinnott probably overreached in both of his decisions — that is what judicial review is for. But we should hesitate to give district attorneys the power to dictate to judges how to exercise their authority. And by the way, I doubt poor or minority defendants want to be judged by the legal precedent of a “wink-and-nod tradition” that the Globe seems to be arguing for. John E. Hickey Cambridge The writer is a lawyer. Judge went too far in harsh… Read full this story
- I Want to Grow Up to Be an Activist Judge - All the Power and No Responsibility to Anybody!
- Obama is a Constitutionally Educated Lawyer - His Pick Doesn't Wash With Supreme Court
- Smart Judge, Stupid Jury
- Lying About Foreclosure - Bank Lawyers Do it All The Time
- Supreme Court wrestles with immigration-related case as Sotomayor breaks the new 2-minute rule
- Supreme Court debates life without parole sentence in DC sniper case
- U.S. Supreme Court Needs Justices With Proven Capabilities and Integrity
- Testifying in Court Article 2 - 8 Things to Think About
- Getting to Know Your Bankruptcy Judge
- Bullied judge wins landmark whistleblowing case in UK Supreme Court
The judge, the DA, the lawyer, and the court of opinion have 327 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at September 13, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.