“Our lab is focused on learning how to maintain muscle, which is critical for maintaining independence and a healthy metabolism,” Miller said. “We want to keep people able-bodied for longer so they can get the most out of their years. This research will give us new targets to aim for toward this goal.” The second significant finding was that changes with age or from atrophy differ from muscle to muscle. Miller said the results led to additional questions about the underlying mechanisms by which some muscles are maintained during aging, while others are not. “From a public health perspective, this broadens our knowledge and shows us we need to consider muscles on a case-by-case basis,” said Miller. “This also identifies a critical period where, if someone has an extended period of inactivity, we need to target the regrowth and learn what we can do to intervene.” The findings were published in the Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. Ryan Stewart is media relations coordinator for Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation.
- Dr William Frankland, allergy scientist pioneer, dies aged 108
- Scientists Have Reset Cells From a Supercentenarian, Giving Clues to Their Extreme Longevity
- Landmark 'Broken Hill' skull fossil surprises scientists who find it is 'younger than thought' at just 300,000 years old
- Can You Turn Fat into Muscle?
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know
- One-ton Italian dinosaur's 'hands' offer clues to evolution of modern bird wings
- Married At First Sight's Jo McPharlin denies having weight loss surgery after trolls called her 'too skinny' - as she reveals how she lost her final 20kg
- New Clues to Evolution of Flowering Forests
- From jade rollers to foam rollers, eight of the best self-massage tools to soothe muscles and release tension
- Heavy drinking into middle age can add nearly TWO INCHES to your waistline and increase your chance of strokes and high pressure
OMRF scientist uncovers clues about age, muscle loss have 326 words, post on oklahoman.com at September 10, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.