Sport by Press Association 10/09/2019, 7:37 am Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter Wil Lutz kicked a 58-yard field goal right at the death to earn the New Orleans Saints a dramatic 30-28 victory over the Houston Texans in their 2019 season opener on Monday night. New Orleans, beaten by an overtime field goal in last season’s NFC Championship game against the LA Rams, looked set for more disappointment as they trailed 14-3 and then 21-10 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The hosts rallied with 17 unanswered points to take the lead, but Houston hit back and quarterback Deshaun Watson’s 37-yard touchdown pass to Kenny Stills with less than a minute left put them ahead again at 28-27. However, victory was snatched away from the Texans when, following a rapid six-play drive from Drew Brees which put the Saints in field goal position, Lutz drilled over a long-range kick as time expired. In Monday night’s other match, the Oakland Raiders defeated the Denver Broncos 24-16. Oakland got off to a flying start when Derek Carr threw a touchdown pass to Tyrell Williams off their opening drive of the season and the Raiders never looked back. Josh Jacobs also ran in two… Read full this story
- Bengals slump to first defeat against Texans
- The Redskins blew a 15-point lead in final 3 minutes to lose to the Saints
- Raiders make a gutsy 2-point conversion in final minute to beat the Saints by one
- Houston Texans quarterback who left a game with a concussion now has memory loss and won’t play Sunday
- Saints chastise Navy veteran for ‘sad and divisive discourse’ after he turned down an award because of kneeling NFL players
- Pope declares John Paul II, John XXIII saints
- 2 popes to become saints next year
- A mere political crisis or a ‘crisis of saints’?
- 10 fantasy football players who should be benched for Week 3
- NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where all 32 teams stand going into Week 2
Lutz in for Saints as Texans are toppled have 338 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at September 9, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.