LONDON (AP) — Prime Minister Boris Johnson called Wednesday for a national election on Oct. 15, saying it was the only way out of Britain’s Brexit impasse after lawmakers moved to block his plan to leave the European Union next month without a divorce deal. But Parliament delivered Johnson his third defeat in two days and turned down a motion triggering a vote. Johnson indicated he would try again, saying an election was the only way forward for the country, and accusing opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn of being afraid of the public’s judgment. “The obvious conclusion, I’m afraid, is that he does not think he will win,” Johnson said. Scarcely six weeks after taking office with a vow to break Britain’s Brexit deadlock — which entrapped and finally defeated his predecessor, Theresa May — Johnson’s own plans to lead the U.K. out of the EU are in crisis. Johnson insists Britain must leave the bloc on the scheduled date of Oct. 31, with or without a divorce deal, but many lawmakers — including several from Johnson’s Conservative Party — are determined to thwart him. On Wednesday the House of Commons approved an opposition bill designed to halt a… Read full this story
- Some potential scenarios for Britain and the European Union after Brexit plan's crushing defeat
- UK PM Theresa May Tries to Tweak Defeated Brexit Plan_ Refuses to Rule Out 'No-Deal' Option
- British leader pleads for Brexit plan ahead of critical vote
- Theresa May Survives Leadership Challenge, but Brexit Plan Is Still in Peril
- Parliament rejects Theresa May’s Brexit plan 432-202
- Knives Out For Theresa May’s Whips Office As Her Brexit Plan Teeters On The Edge Of Collapse
- British Prime Minister Said To Be Hatching Brexit Plan B To Prevent Chaos
- Britain’s May might resort to a Brexit ‘Plan B’
- UK's May faces no-confidence vote after Brexit plan crushedYou may also be interested in...
- Theresa May to unveil Brexit Plan B to break logjam in Parliament
Johnson’s Brexit plans in crisis after 3rd defeat in 2 days have 345 words, post on apnews.com at September 4, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.