Bill Barrow Associated Press Published 7:49 AM EDT Sep 18, 2019 Atlanta – Weeks shy of his 95th birthday, former President Jimmy Carter said he doesn’t believe he could have managed the most powerful office in the world at 80 years old. Carter, who earlier this year became the longest-lived chief executive in American history, didn’t tie his comments to any of his fellow Democrats running for president in 2020, but two leading candidates, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, would turn 80 during their terms if elected. Biden is 76. Sanders is 78. “I hope there’s an age limit,” Carter said with a laugh as he answered audience questions on Tuesday during his annual report at the Carter Center in Atlanta. “If I were just 80 years old, if I was 15 years younger, I don’t believe I could undertake the duties I experienced when I was president.” Carter’s observation came in response to a jovial inquiry about whether he had considered running in 2020 since he’s still constitutionally allowed another term. The 39th president left office in 1981 at the age of 56 after losing his reelection bid to Ronald Reagan, who served two terms and left office as… Read full this story
- Former President Jimmy Carter Says He's 'At Ease With Death' in Sunday Sermon
- Jimmy Carter, Who Voted for Bernie Sanders in 2016, Says He Hopes 'There's an Age Limit' on the Presidency
- Jimmy Carter Is Emerging As an Unexpected Role Model in the 2020 Primaries
- Jimmy Carter 95th Birthday: Happy Birthday to the 39th President, Greatest Quotes from Over the Years
- 40 years ago today: Jimmy Carter lays plan for Olympic boycott
- President Jimmy Carter hospitalized for procedure to reduce pressure on brain after recent falls
- Donald Trump Is a Hypocrite: Jimmy Kimmel Lays Bare President's Many Contradictions After Trump's Attack on John McCain
- Jimmy Kimmel Says Lev Parnas' Trump Claims Feel Like 'The Sopranos' But Instead of 'Organized Crime, It's Very Disorganized'
- Cris Carter Says Aaron Hernandez Is Dead to the NFL ... Even If He's Freed
- Xavi ‘will be manager’ one day, says Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu
Jimmy Carter says he couldn’t have managed presidency at 80 have 353 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at September 18, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.