By Ben Klayman DETROIT (Reuters) – Large pickup trucks that tow most of the profits in to Ford Motor Co and General Motors Co are holdovers from another century – with heavy ladder frames and big internal combustion engines in the front driving the wheels in the back.Now, Ford and GM are racing to design radical new takes on their most profitable models, replacing petroleum-fueled engines with batteries in a bid to outflank Tesla Inc’s plan to eclipse their brands. Ford’s F-150 pickup and GM’s Chevrolet Silverado are the top selling vehicles in the U.S. market.”This is going to be a real watershed for the whole industry,” Ford Chairman Bill Ford told Reuters in a recent interview. The automaker has disclosed few details about the electric F-series, but Bill Ford hinted the truck could have load-carrying space under the hood in addition to the traditional bed in the back. “You pick up all that extra space where the engine compartment has been,” Ford said. An electric F-Series could be a work truck – with its batteries functioning as a job site power source, he said. And it could be positioned as a high-performance vehicle next to the gas-fueled, 450 horsepower… Read full this story
- Ford secretly proposed a pickup truck emoji, and it might make it to our phones next year
- Single-Cab Pickup Trucks Will Always Look Good
- Amazon plugs in with $700 million investment in electric pickup company Rivian
- Ford’s all-electric F-150 pickup truck may arrive sooner than expected
- From drones to pickup trucks, Workhorse CEO believes the future is electric
- GM wants to make an electric pickup, but can it beat its rivals to the punch?
- YouTuber Simone Giertz transformed a Tesla Model 3 into a pickup truck
- There is no way to say pickup truck in emoji, and Ford wants to change that
- Ford’s upcoming electric cars will share VW’s Electrify America charging network
- Truck, yeah! Tesla is using its electric Semi to deliver cars in California
Ford, GM rev up electric pickup trucks to head off Tesla have 345 words, post on www.metro.us at September 13, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.