Just as the city of Charleston got rid of several wrecked boats in and around the harbor, including an eyesore just off Waterfront Park, Hurricane Dorian delivered a fresh batch. And because there’s no dedicated funding for fishing out wrecked or abandoned boats, there’s no telling how long the recent wrecks will be with us.The Legislature should remedy that by tacking a fee onto boat registrations or letting counties set aside a portion of personal property taxes on boats to fund the removal of wrecked or abandoned vessels.Altogether, 14 boats were damaged and sunk, blown off moorings into marshes or sunk in their slips at marinas, said Coast Guard Lt. j.g. Phillip VanderWeit. Among the most visible were some sailboats that ended up in the marsh near Ripley Light Marina on the Ashley River.None of the recent wrecks pose a hazard to navigation so it will be up to the owners and their insurers to remove them. And most will be gone in a few weeks. But invariably, a few hulks whose owners can’t be identified or held financially responsible will remain marooned in marshes or with their masts poking out of the water until local governments can come up… Read full this story
- India vs West Indies, 1st ODI Preview: New format, old problems for India
- Huge New Storm Creates Hexagon at Jupiter's South Pole
- 'Same old problems' for Wales' new £5bn rail service
- Should Geoffrey Rush be dropped from the new Storm Boy film?
- New features, old franchises coming to the Wii U
- The Three Faces of Narcissism: A New Look at an Old Problem
- NASA probe spots massive storm the size of Texas swirling near Jupiter's south pole that joins a family of six other cyclones in the region
- Could superbugs on the International Space Station mutate into a new breed of 'supercharged' killer?
- India vs New Zealand Semi-Final Highlights, World Cup 2019: India-New Zealand Semis Suspended, Match To Resume Tomorrow At 3 pm IST
- World Cup 2019, India vs New Zealand, Manchester Weather Forecast: No Rain For Time Being, Chances Of Shower Later
Editorial: New storm, same old problem for Charleston have 363 words, post on www.postandcourier.com at September 13, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.