After Zarif left, Macron and Trump had several apparently friendly exchanges as they prepped for the group photo of the leaders.
“Maybe Macron jumped the gun and misinterpreted. But we haven’t been hearing howls of fury from the American delegation. It wouldn’t be surprising if this is something which was, if not green-lighted, then not red-lighted by Washington,” said Francois Heisbourg, adviser at the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies and at the Paris-based Foundation for Strategic Research. “This may not be the best of ideas from Washington’s standpoint. But it doesn’t hurt the Americans.”
The G-7 leaders focused much of Sunday on what they can do to boost growth at a time of heightened uncertainty. Manufacturers around the world are smarting from the trade dispute between the U.S. and China , which has led to new import taxes on hundreds of billions of dollars-worth of goods. Businesses don’t know where tariffs will be imposed next.
The White House had said putting the economy on the agenda was Trump’s idea, but the G-7 has for over four decades always included a focus on the economy. It was founded as a response to the Arab oil embargo in the 1970s and the recession that followed.
The backdrop is particularly worrying this year, with the U.S. economy slowing and Germany and Italy close to recession.
Meanwhile, Britain is due to leave the EU in October, and there is no agreement on how it should happen, raising the possibility of a disorderly exit that could wreak havoc for business in Europe.
Johnson said Britain and Europe needed to prepare for that, saying the prospect of a Brexit deal was “touch and go.”
The G-7 summit includes the heads of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Canada and Italy as well as a representative of the 28-country EU.
- Top 5 Ways On Getting Wedding Invitation Samples
- Surprise Birthday Party Invitations For Adult Birthday Celebrations
- Baby Shower Invitations Require A Little Bit Of Careful Thought
- Wedding on a Budget - To Invite Or Not to Invite
- Wedding Invitations to Impress
- Finding Inexpensive Bridal Shower Invitations
- Very Cheap Wedding Invitations - 5 Ideas To Save You Money
- 5 Innovative Ideas On Inviting Your Friends To Your Big Day
- Wedding Invitations Secrets
- How to Save on Wedding Invitations and Announcements