By L.M. Sixel
Updated 2:39 pm CDT, Tuesday, August 13, 2019
The state’s grid manager notified generators it is projecting a shortage of reserve capacity Tuesday afternoon between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.The state’s grid manager notified generators it is projecting a shortage of reserve capacity Tuesday afternoon between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Photo: Wendi Poole
Photo: Wendi Poole
The state’s grid manager the Electric Reliability Council of Texas alerted generators Tuesday afternoon that power reserves have dipped below 3,000 megawatts, low enough to trigger hefty price adders designed by Texas regulators to encourage generators to build new production plants.
Electricity prices topped $7,000 per megawatt hour at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, including$1,073 as a price adder reflecting low capacity during a time of tight supplies and high demand. At a 8 a.m., prices were about $19 per megawatt hour.
ERCOT is projecting that power demand might outstrip supply Tuesday afternoon and has notified generators of a potential shortage.
The notice issued Tuesday morning serves as a nudge to generators to update their generation availability, said ERCOT spokeswoman Leslie Sopko. The notice does not trigger conservation efforts.
The alerts come as Houston faces another day of triple-digit temperatures which is expected to strain the state’s power grid. The power crunch is expected to occur Tuesday between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
ERCOT is projecting that demand Tuesday afternoon will likely exceed the available supply of power, according to a chart on ERCOT’s website.
On Monday, wholesale electricity prices peaked at $6,500 per megawatt hour. reflecting the sixth consecutive day of triple-digit temperatures that strained capacity and triggered price adders that were boosted by Texas regulators earlier this year.
Texas set a new record for power on Monday when demand reached 74,531 megawatts between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., according to ERCOT.
- Power shortage on the ISS delays SpaceX supply run
- Potentially powerful thunderstorms could hit Albany area
- Boy pulled from water Tuesday afternoon at Marshfield beach
- Oklahoma City bank robbed Tuesday afternoon
- 2 injured in Algiers shooting Tuesday afternoon: NOPD
- Man stabbed in Bucktown Tuesday afternoon: JPSO
- Tornado watch for South Jersey Tuesday afternoon, evening
- Akron man arrested in connection with Tuesday afternoon homicide
- Lake Michigan Credit union near Naples robbed Tuesday afternoon