After two years of trying, President Donald Trump finally got the military pageantry he has so desperately wanted. The annual Fourth of July celebration in Washington, DC—a parade, concert, and fireworks—featured tanks, fighter planes and Trump himself. It was called “A Salute to America,” but it looked more like a salute to Trump, who made a rare address for a president on Independence Day from the Lincoln Memorial. A rain-soaked crowd around the Lincoln Memorial chanted “USA USA!” and Air Force One flew low over Washington as Trump strode up to the podium. While water ran down the front of the bulletproof glass enveloping the podium, he opened his remarks with, “Hello, America, Hello.” “Today we come together as one nation,” he told the crowd, which was divided by a fence that kept VIP guests separated from ordinary spectators. Trump stuck to the script, delivering his speech with his signature stilted teleprompter cadence, taking listeners through high points of American history and greatness and acknowledging special guests like Apollo 11 flight director Gene Kranz and civil rights hero Clarence Henderson. “We are going to be back on the Moon very soon, and someday soon, we will plant the American flag on… Read full this story
- President Volodymyr Zelensky says Ukraine getting 'tired' of Trump scandal
- Walter Borneman: July 4th binds Americans together with precious memories
- University of Florida Student Claims He Was Attacked for MAGA Hat on July 4th
- MLB's Bryce Harper -- Sick July 4th Cleats ... Most Patriotic Kicks Ever?? (PHOTO)
- July 4th In Avon Lake: Fireworks, Closings, 5Ks
- The latest Trump scandal would have destroyed any other president
- Annual patriotic July 4th military flyover at SC beaches
- Biden accuses Trump of 'clear-cut corruption' for asking Ukraine's president EIGHT TIMES to investigate his son Hunter, as former VP calls for 'immediate release of call transcript' between the two leaders
- Trump Keeps Getting Mad When He Finds Out What His Policies Actually Do
- The Donald arrives for four-day red carpet visit: Trump and Melania set foot on UK soil for first time as President and First Lady - but he brushes aside protests by claiming Britons 'like him a lot'
This July 4th Had Everything: Tanks, Trump—and Scandal have 373 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at July 4, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.