Trucks wait in line to enter the United States on May 31, 2019 in Tijuana, Mexico. Photo: Sandy Huffaker/Getty Images On Wednesday, as Donald Trump was settling in for a couple nights at his golf resort in Ireland, Vice-President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Mexico’s foreign minister in an attempt to avert tariffs that Trump has threatened to slap on the nation’s third-largest trading partner. The meeting was not a success, but, as Trump tweeted Thursday morning Ireland time, talks will resume today and if no agreement is reached, 5 percent tariffs on all Mexican imports will go into effect this coming Monday. With just four days until Trump’s deadline, here’s what you need to know about the tariffs on Mexico. It’s all about immigration. Trump first made the threat on May 30, when he tweeted that a 5 percent tariff “on all goods coming” into the U.S. from Mexico would go into effect on June 10 and increase each month “until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP.” The plan calls for the tariffs to hit 10 percent on July 1 “if the crisis persists,” and rise by… Read full this story
- Trump’s National Security Claim for Tariffs Sets Off Crisis at W.T.O.
- Trump's tariffs set off crisis for WTO
- Auto industry cries foul as Trump moves toward car tariffs
- Trump tariffs shopping list: What grocery prices will go up (or down)
- Donald Trump Made Republicans the Family Separations Party—Does it Spell Political Death in 2018 Midterms?
- U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey is looking for a change in direction in Trump's trade policies
- Trump's trade battle with China hits home in Arkansas townYou may also be interested in...
- Contractors see tariff-fueled steel prices rise but aren't panicking
- Trump Threatens Canada With Auto Tariffs If NAFTA Talks Fail
- 119 Of Many Ways Donald Trump Harms Animals People Birds Fishes Butterflies Bees Water : Indybay
Trump’s Mexico Tariff Threat: Everything We Know have 341 words, post on nymag.com at June 6, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.