BOSTON — Jose Abreu’s two-run homer in the ninth inning against right-hander Matt Barnes lifted the White Sox to an 8-7 victory Wednesday, salvaging the final game of a three-game series at Fenway Park.
The Red Sox had gone ahead with three runs in the eighth inning against Evan Marshall and closer Alex Colome, who blew his first save opportunity after opening the season with a club record 16-for-16 run. Colome (3-1) pitched a scoreless ninth.
Abreu fouled off six pitches in a 10-pitch at-bat before connecting, scoring Yolmer Sanchez.
- Curtis Granderson's home runs help Blue Jays soar past Astros
- Red Sox win with two-run ninth inning
- World Series: Red Sox, Unhittable and Unstoppable, Win It All, Beating Dodgers
- Davidson hits 7th HR at Kansas City as White Sox win 7-4
- Eloy Jimenez, Jose Abreu homer to carry White Sox past Cubs
- Yankees edge White Sox 3-2 on Carlos Beltran’s three-run home run
- Vogelbach drives in six as Mariners trounce White Sox
- World Series disgrace 100 years ago: 2 Minnesotans among 'Black Sox' banned for life
- Jimenez homer vaults Sox past Cubs 3-1
- Bases-loaded walk in ninth lifts Red Sox past Rangers