In what Antioch police termed a “tragic accident,” a 2-year-old drowned Friday evening in a backyard swimming pool.
The incident was reported at around 7:30 p.m., when police in the Contra Costa city received a distraught call that the toddler was in the pool on the 3000 block of N. Francisco Way. Rescue personnel from the police and other agencies went to the scene and attempted to revive the child, but the 2-year-old died that evening at a local hospital.
“The preliminary investigation appears to indicate this incident was a tragic accident,” according to the statement released Saturday morning by the Antioch police. The victim has not been identified.
John King is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: [email protected]
- Hopatcong toddler drowns in backyard pool
- Alabama Toddler, 2, Dies After Shooting Himself in the Face
- Toddler, 2, dies of self-inflicted gunshot with parents not home
- Smiths Station Toddler Drowns in Backyard Pool
- Toddler, 2, died after a 60kg fireplace fell on him as mum ran to loo
- Toddler, 2, dies after parents tie mattress and driveway salt bags over crib to keep him from escaping
- Toddler, 2, dies of self-inflicted gunshot while his parents weren't at home
- Two toddler brothers die after being pulled from pool
- Protect Children From Drowning - Part 2 - Choosing the Right Pool Alarm For Your Backyard Pool